high school student visa?

Old Jun 18th 2017, 12:33 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default high school student visa?

I'm posting on behalf of a friend...

the friend holds an L1 visa. She's wondering whether it's possible to have her nephew stay with her for a year to do a year of US high school. Nephew is living in Brazil and I think is half Brazilian half Italian if that makes any difference.

options?
Old Jun 18th 2017, 1:13 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: high school student visa?

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
She's wondering whether it's possible to have her nephew stay with her...
Yes.

... to do a year of US high school.
That'll depend on whether or not the nephew gets an F-1 visa. If he can get a visa, I don't see a problem.

Ian
Old Jun 18th 2017, 4:36 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The school has to be an education institution that is registered to participate in the F-1 student visa program, and I doubt many public schools are - if word got around that your tax dollars were being used to educate visitors to the US it probably wouldn't go down too well.

Private schools are a different matter.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

I believe, from when I was applying for my F1 and what I found out, that an F1 can be used for a public school for 1 year only, or a private school for the duration you want them to attend said private school.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 5:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can do 1 year at a Public School but have of course to pay, around 10k so not that much.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 5:11 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I'm posting on behalf of a friend...

the friend holds an L1 visa. She's wondering whether it's possible to have her nephew stay with her for a year to do a year of US high school. Nephew is living in Brazil and I think is half Brazilian half Italian if that makes any difference.

options?
It is possible. Please note that attendance at a public high school is quite restricted so as to be next to impossible.

For an F-1 visa, the consular officer has to be satisfied that student will return home, that tuition will be paid. Also, ability to speak English [e.g. the language of instruction] is relevant.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 7:44 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The school has to be an education institution that is registered to participate in the F-1 student visa program, and I doubt many public schools are - if word got around that your tax dollars were being used to educate visitors to the US it probably wouldn't go down too well.

Private schools are a different matter.
Many high schools have such a program - ours does. Whether the students pay the regular "out of district" fee or more, I don't know.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 2:28 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Many high schools have such a program - ours does. Whether the students pay the regular "out of district" fee or more, I don't know.
The fee may be more than the regular or out of district fee.

The law requires that the F-1 can only attend up to 1 year of public school to must pay 100% of the unsubsidized per student cost.

Not paying or attending for more than a year of public school as an F-1 would make the student inadmmissible to the US until the student has been out of the US for 5 continuous years.

That's why it's rare for an F-1 to attend public school. If you're going to pay a ton of money, it usually makes more sense to go to a private school.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Well our exchange student won't be returning home.

Poor bugger drowned a couple of weeks ago, trying to rescue someone else struggling in the water on a school trip. Everyone at school is devastated, he was a very popular student, and a really nice kid.

Absolute tragedy.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 2:08 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
Well our exchange student won't be returning home.

Poor bugger drowned a couple of weeks ago, trying to rescue someone else struggling in the water on a school trip. .....
In NC too. The ocean here looks very inviting, but there are several dangers that make it unsafe for anything but paddling in the shallowest water. There are frequent riptides that pull unsuspecting swimmers and waders rapidly under and out to sea, and in recent years there have been multiple shark attacks very close to the shore and in shallow water.

I am sorry to hear of the student's tragic death, but he probably didn't realize the unsuitability of the surf here for swimming, perhaps compared to what he was used to in Thailand.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 2:40 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In NC too. The ocean here looks very inviting, but there are several dangers that make it unsafe for anything but paddling in the shallowest water. There are frequent riptides that pull unsuspecting swimmers and waders rapidly under and out to sea, and in recent years there have been multiple shark attacks very close to the shore and in shallow water.

I am sorry to hear of the student's tragic death, but he probably didn't realize the unsuitability of the surf here for swimming, perhaps compared to what he was used to in Thailand.
Sounds as if he wasn't the one who underestimated the surf -- Steve said the young man lost his life because he tried to help another person who had got into difficulties.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Sounds as if he wasn't the one who underestimated the surf -- Steve said the young man lost his life because he tried to help another person who had got into difficulties.
The scenario described is quite common in NC - the person "in difficulties" saves themselves, and the "rescuer" drowns, therefore I believe my description is appropriate.

I would guess in at least some cases the would-be rescuer acts in a heroic and humanitarian manner, but underestimates their own strength, preparedness, and abilities.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 8:12 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

ok. So we have more details here.

They are going through the J1 program.
The issue facing them is host family. It says that the host family may not be a relative but the question is what constitutes a relative. In this case, the student is son of her cousin, so it's pretty distant.

anyone know about this and whether this would be considered a relative? There's also the issue of the host family being "American", they aren't.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are quite a few types of J, is this on the basis of cultural exchange?
Old Jul 24th 2017, 9:58 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

anyone know about this and whether this would be considered a relative? There's also the issue of the host family being "American", they aren't.
If the latter issue is true, then the former issue is rendered moot.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.