Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Help !!! Visa's Where do I start? CONFUSED

Help !!! Visa's Where do I start? CONFUSED

Old May 3rd 2015, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

Cheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud of
Default Help !!! Visa's Where do I start? CONFUSED

Hello

This is a long shot I don't even know what to do or where to start so apologies if I am posting this in the wrong area.

Basically I want to apply for a job with the British Embassy but it states that:

Under US State Department requirements, the Embassy may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders or A or NATO visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A or NATO visa you are not currently eligible to work at the Embassy.

so does this mean I can not apply at all or does this mean I have to hold a NATO visa with EAD card?

If I have to apply for a NATO visa and EAD card what forms do I need to complete? I also have a dependant my son is 16 years old so would I need to complete a visa form for him too so he can attend school in the United States?

I am beyond confused if anyone can advise me I would be really grateful

Thank you
Old May 3rd 2015, 1:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help !!! Visa's Where do I start? CONFUSED

The part you quoted was for non-diplomatic staff. What exactly do you want to do at the embassy? What job? And why specifically at the British embassy?

Rene
Old May 3rd 2015, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Are you currently in the UK or US? If in the US, what status?

I should imagine that, similar to other employment-based visas, it's the employer - the British Embassy - that applies for the visa, not the applicant.

As I understand it, the A visa exists (other than for actual diplomats) so that embassies have the option of staffing non-diplomatic posts with their own nationals should they feel, for security or policy reasons, that the posts are not appropriate to be staffed by locals.

Given that the British government likes to outsource everything that moves and always goes for the cheapest option, I doubt they have many non-diplomatic embassy posts that they'd only bring Brits over on an A visa for.

Last edited by rpjs; May 3rd 2015 at 1:25 pm.
Old May 3rd 2015, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Cheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud of

The job was for an Executive Assistant to the Consul General.

I am a UK resident with 20 years work based Administration experience behind me, no formal qualifications except GCSE's & Im also a single mum with a 16 year old son.

I very much doubt I stand a chance in hell but you don't know if you don't try and I thought this would be a fantastic opportunity if they consider sponsoring me for the visa.

However I also thought that if I could perhaps start the process of applying for a visa now that any further job opportunities that become available whether with the embassy or just within the states Id be able to apply and acknowledge I have the appropriate working visa's already in place, its just I have no idea where to start and what visa's I need to apply for and in what order, the whole process has my brain frazzled.
Old May 3rd 2015, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

If none of the above apply to your current status, you can not be considered for a non-diplomatic job, period. This is not something you can obtain after the fact or on your own. You MUST qualify for entry into the US through other means.

Take a look at Pulaski's Ways. The link appears at the top of the forum page and see if you qualify in some way. If not, it's just the same as any other job in the States and you are basically SOL.
Old May 3rd 2015, 2:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately it sounds like you don't qualify for that job at the consulate, because you aren't already in the USA with work authorization.

For any other job in the USA, you'd need an employer to sponsor you for a work visa, and no one will do that for admin work because there are plenty of qualified people in the USA.

Rene
Old May 3rd 2015, 2:53 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheex32
However I also thought that if I could perhaps start the process of applying for a visa now that any further job opportunities that become available whether with the embassy or just within the states Id be able to apply and acknowledge I have the appropriate working visa's already in place...
In almost every situation, you can't apply for a visa independently, on your own, without first being sponsored by an employer willing to petition on your behalf for that visa. Further, once you have a visa, then in most cases you are restricted to working only for the company that sponsored you and no one else.

Bottom line - you can't get a visa without first having a bona fide job offer from an employer.

Ian
Old May 3rd 2015, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Oh god that's pretty depressing looks like I don't stand a chance in hell
Old May 3rd 2015, 3:16 pm

Oh god that's pretty depressing looks like I don't stand a chance in hell
Not for an admin type job, no. There is an H1B visa, but the job must require a degree. You can use your years of experience to make up for lack of degree.

There are basically 3 ways into the USA: Marriage to a USC, Work visa, or Investment visa.

You should go ahead and read the following article, which lists all the ways to the USA, just in case something might apply to you (my guess is not, but you can always take a look).

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

Rene
Old May 3rd 2015, 5:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The job was for an Executive Assistant to the Consul General.

I am a UK resident with 20 years work based Administration experience behind me, no formal qualifications except GCSE's .....
Aside from the visa issues you face (there is no realistic way you can get one), GCSEs + "20 years of work based administration" is unlikely to be close to sufficient for an Executive Assistant position. EAs typically have a degree in something such as English, or business, and/or have worked their way up "through the ranks" at a firm of consultants, accountants, lawyers or a bank.
Old May 3rd 2015, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Where did you see the job advertised? If it was in the UK then it suggests they are looking for, or will consider, a British rather than a local candidate and so would sponsor a visa.
Old May 3rd 2015, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

I just googled British Embassy Jobs and it was advertised under the Foreign & Commonwealth Office.

There are jobs advertised on there specifically for UK residents admin posts etc but I was too late and missed the deadline.

Anyways Im starting to feel quite despondent now, you try and create your own happiness and seem to get knocked back on every turn.

Never mind but thanks to everyone who responded to my thread its put things into perspective now and I get the impression working in the states isn't gonna happen.
Old May 3rd 2015, 7:32 pm

You probably haven't told us the whole story, (and of course you don't have to!) but I am wondering why not being able to work in the USA makes you so depressed and despondent. It shouldn't. It sounds like you have a very stable career going where you are (20 years is a good chunk of time!).

Rene
Old May 3rd 2015, 8:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I just googled British Embassy Jobs and it was advertised under the Foreign & Commonwealth Office.

There are jobs advertised on there specifically for UK residents admin posts etc but I was too late and missed the deadline.

Anyways Im starting to feel quite despondent now, you try and create your own happiness and seem to get knocked back on every turn.

Never mind but thanks to everyone who responded to my thread its put things into perspective now and I get the impression working in the states isn't gonna happen.
Why don't you try to get a job with the Foreign Office in London and see where that takes you?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 4th 2015 at 3:04 am. Reason: Typo
Old May 3rd 2015, 8:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Im starting to feel quite despondent now, you try and create your own happiness and seem to get knocked back on every turn.
Generally, this happens when one has unrealistic expectations - which is, sad to say, what I believe has happened here.

... my son is 16 years old...
I don't want to add another distressing tidbit to the issue while you're already feeling down, but in the interests of keeping things grounded in reality - when he turns 21, your son will no longer be eligible for a derivative visa. In a nutshell, this means that if he wants to come to the US with you after age 21 (assuming something positive happens between now and then), he will need to qualify for a visa on his own merits.

If you do happen to get a visa before he turns 21, then when he turns 21 he will be obligated to leave the US unless you and he somehow manage to get green cards before he turns 21 - or, as mentioned, he can secure a visa on his own merits.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.