Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Help regarding emigrating to USA from UK

Help regarding emigrating to USA from UK

Old Feb 5th 2018, 9:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help regarding emigrating to USA from UK

Originally Posted by Rete
Not that I'm aware of. I know that 20 years ago, Jim and I both had to be present to complete the marriage license application, show proof of identification .....
The then-future Mrs P and I both went to the courthouse, prepared with our drivers licenses, passports, and birth certificates.

We completed the form, paid the $10 fee, and were issued with our marriage license. Then we went outside and laughed like hyenas ..... because we weren't asked for any ID at all! And that was despite me not even having a SSN at that time - I put "N/A" on the application form. The clerk at the courthouse did shake our hands and said "Have a nice life!"

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 5th 2018 at 9:23 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 11:01 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The then-future Mrs P and I both went to the courthouse, prepared with our drivers licenses, passports, and birth certificates.

We completed the form, paid the $10 fee, and were issued with our marriage license. Then we went outside and laughed like hyenas ..... because we weren't asked for any ID at all! And that was despite me not even having a SSN at that time - I put "N/A" on the application form. The clerk at the courthouse did shake our hands and said "Have a nice life!"
Jim didn't have a social security number either as he was Canadian. But yes, we gave our passports and our divorce decrees because we both marked on the application that we had been married prior. We went to city hall for our license. My first marriage was an elopement at a courthouse in a judge's chambers. Only a best man and the secretary was the other witness.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 2:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

SSN is not needed for a marriage license.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 2:16 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
SSN is not needed for a marriage license.
We've already established that, or are you just recapping Rete's and my post for anyone who is new to the thread?
Old Feb 6th 2018, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
OK you learn something new every day! Google indicates that DMV is DC, Maryland, Virginia. I was wondering why you wanted to live in the Dept of Motor Vehicles ...
Ha, me too, and then discovered perhaps I should have known what it meant as I lived there for 3 years, but seems back in my day it wasn't called that. And now where I live there is no DMV.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 3:42 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

In SC I had to get a letter from SSA stating that I was not eligible for an SSN just to get a marriage license.

Yeah, didn't make any sense to me either.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 4:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
In SC I had to get a letter from SSA stating that I was not eligible for an SSN just to get a marriage license.

Yeah, didn't make any sense to me either.
I would have just gone over the border and got married in a state where a ssn was not required.

50 states, 50 rules and regulations
Old Feb 7th 2018, 4:30 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

It only took about an hour to go to SSA, get the letter, than return and get the license. Shorter than the drive to GA.