Help Please – New to Forum

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:28 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help Please – New to Forum

I’m just new to this forum and I’m really desperate for help. Here’s the situation: I met my girlfriend during a music exchange trip during high school when I was a senior. You know the kind… they’d come to us for 2 weeks and sometime later, we’d go there for 2 weeks. Anyway, we fell madly in love and we want to get married. The problem is, I live in Canada and she lives in the US. Oh… I’m 19 and she’s 18. Neither of us have ever had a full-time job and we both live with our parents. I have some questions:

1) How much money will we need to get married?
2) Can I take a trip to the US and get married? I’m not really expecting to get married but y’know… just in case I end up marrying while I’m there.
3) Will I be able to return to Canada after to pack up my bedroom and say goodbye to my folks?
4) Does it matter that I don’t have a job?
5) How long is all of this going to take?
6) My mom is threatening to kick me out of the house if I marry my girlfriend. Can she do anything to stop me? I need to know immediately, because I really love my girl.
7) My girlfriend has never filed tax returns, will this cause us any problems?
8) I was arrested for B&E when I was 14. I did a year in juvenile hall, but since I was a minor the records were sealed. Do I need to tell anyone about this? Will it cause us any problems?
9) Am I going to need a passport? I don’t think I can afford one.
10) Is this something we can do ourselves, or do we need a lawyer?
11) Does anyone have any experience with this immigration stuff? There’s just so much paperwork, we’re totally overwhelmed!
12) We’re planning a trip to Cuba later this year. I’ve been told that if she comes to Canada first and then we get a direct flight to Havana, that it’ll be okay. Is this true?
13) Is there anything else I should know?
14) If my girl got pregnant, would it help speed up the process? I’m eager to try!

Thanks in advance for your help! We're really madly in love and want to be together as soon as possible.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:36 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Please – New to Forum

Jim's recommendation to you is: Don't buy an SUV

Jim Wilson

(MASH) Suicide is painless

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I’m just new to this forum and I’m really desperate for help. Here’s the situation: I met my girlfriend during a music exchange trip during high school when I was a senior. You know the kind… they’d come to us for 2 weeks and sometime later, we’d go there for 2 weeks. Anyway, we fell madly in love and we want to get married. The problem is, I live in Canada and she lives in the US. Oh… I’m 19 and she’s 18. Neither of us have ever had a full-time job and we both live with our parents. I have some questions:

2) Can I take a trip to the US and get married? I’m not really expecting to get married but y’know… just in case I end up marrying while I’m there.
3) Will I be able to return to Canada after to pack up my bedroom and say goodbye to my folks?
6) My mom is threatening to kick me out of the house if I marry my girlfriend. Can she do anything to stop me? I need to know immediately, because I really love my girl.
8) I was arrested for B&E when I was 14. I did a year in juvenile hall, but since I was a minor the records were sealed. Do I need to tell anyone about this? Will it cause us any problems?
11) Does anyone have any experience with this immigration stuff? There’s just so much paperwork, we’re totally overwhelmed!
12) We’re planning a trip to Cuba later this year. I’ve been told that if she comes to Canada first and then we get a direct flight to Havana, that it’ll be okay. Is this true?
14) If my girl got pregnant, would it help speed up the process? I’m eager to try!

Thanks in advance for your help! We're really madly in love and want to be together as soon as possible.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future

What are you smoking?
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rete
Jim's recommendation to you is: Don't buy an SUV

Jim Wilson

(MASH) Suicide is painless
AND THE FUN BEGINGS.. YEEE HA
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 3:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

And I thought I was bored
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 3:19 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP: Hire a babysitter
Note to self: If you get that bored.. go to the gym and exercise.. or eat some radishes and chase Mark & Lexi<insert evil smiley here>

Last edited by Hypertweeky; Feb 2nd 2005 at 3:30 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 1:04 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, Ian....here's your critique!

You've got the word "desperate" in there, that's good. And you've talked about pregnancy, tax returns (or lack of, of course); I see the word "overwhelmed", "paperwork stuff"---really good. No job, prior trouble with the law.....excellent! "Clean out my bedroom" was classic.

This looks great except for: nowhere have you used the word "urgent"! And somewhere I think you needed to mention a baby by a former relationship. Come on, Ian! You can do better than this. Also, your punctuation and capitalization are very very good. Throw a couple of commas in there in place of periods (,,,) and I think I'd give you an "A".

This gave me a laugh to start my day. Thanks for that!

~SecretGarden
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 3:02 pm
Eric S.

Default Re: Help Please - New to Forum

No, the punctuation is TOO good. Remove ALL the periods and change all the
uppercase letters to lowercase (especially the "I") and then it would be
perfect!

- Eric S.

"SecretGarden" <member4024@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    > Ok, Ian....here's your critique!
    > You've got the word "desperate" in there, that's good. And you've
    > talked about pregnancy, tax returns (or lack of, of course); I see the
    > word "overwhelmed", "paperwork stuff"---really good. No job, prior
    > trouble with the law.....excellent! "Clean out my bedroom" was
    > classic. :)
    > This looks great except for: nowhere have you used the word
    > "urgent"! And somewhere I think you needed to mention a baby by a
    > former relationship. Come on, Ian! You can do better than this.
    > Also, your punctuation and capitalization are very very good. Throw
    > a couple of commas in there in place of periods (,,,) and I think I'd
    > give you an "A".
    > This gave me a laugh to start my day. Thanks for that! :)
    > ~SecretGarden
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 4:22 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
This looks great except for: nowhere have you used the word "urgent"! And somewhere I think you needed to mention a baby by a former relationship. Come on, Ian! You can do better than this. Also, your punctuation and capitalization are very very good. Throw a couple of commas in there in place of periods (,,,) and I think I'd give you an "A".

~SecretGarden
Well, there are a couple of other things that were left out -- I'm surprised you didn't catch them!

What about leaving out this classic question:

"We can't decide whether to go to Japan or Italy for our honeymoon -- any suggestions?

Not to mention the absence of this question:

"I just got offered a job in Canada, with a good salary, so we're thinking we'll get married in the States and then immediately return to Canada so I can start my new job while I'm waiting for my green card. This is ok, right?"

Or, my personal favorite:

"Can I apply for my US passport as soon as we get married?"

Love this thread.

~ Jenney
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 4:23 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Did I miss something?! *L*
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 6:01 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

OOooops! Forgot these things too, Ian:

"I can work right away when I get there, right?"

and make sure next time to use "u" for "you", "u r" for "you are", and "ur" for "your" or "you're".

~SG

Maybe this thread should be part of the FAQ.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 6:01 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Hehehe...whatever you had for lunch Ian...I want some too!!
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 6:33 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
OOooops! Forgot these things too, Ian:

"I can work right away when I get there, right?"

and make sure next time to use "u" for "you", "u r" for "you are", and "ur" for "your" or "you're".

~SG

Maybe this thread should be part of the FAQ.
Oh, yeah -- I forgot about the "can I work right away" thing -- good call!

And in addition to all those misspellings you mentioned (which I know are DELIBERATE but still misspellings and poor usage of the English language, nonetheless) -- I'd like to mention some of my favorites:

- "Fiance" to describe the WOMAN you're engaged to

- Writing "finance" instead of "fiance" or "fiancee"

I know, I'm picky.

~ Jenney
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

okay,,, okay,,, sorry i got all messed up an stuff,,, i wus just lookin for sum help i didnt expect u to gang up on me or nothin. whats the madder with u peoples,,, i thougt this was the place to get good hellpful advise,,, and all ur doing is sitting in ur chairs and laffing at me,,, sorry im not to smart or nothin.

okay,,, i left out some stuffs...

i got good job offers in canada but im not sure if i should take it because im expecting to move to the states with my finance. when we get married, can we honymoon someplaces nice like england or more exotic like uganda or like that?,,, are u sure i need a passport? does the states really care that i come from canada cuz its not like they check us at the border or anythings, right?

if u guyz can thinks of somethin elses i forgot let me now, k? this stuffs is really urgent cuz we luv each uther so much it feels like im gonna bust into a gazillion pieces.

oh,,, heres more stuffs i forgot,,,

if i move to the states can i still go back to canada to work for a few weeks? thats okay isnt it because im canadian citizen? i can work in canada right? can i also have a job in the states?,,, do i become a us citizen when i marry my girl or do i just get a green card thing?

thanks for ur help on this,,, were really desperate for informations cuz we are in luv and our luv is so strong it will conqur all things right?
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

You missed:
15) I don't think I will be able to afford the cost of filing the forms can I get financial assistance for that?
16) We will be living with her parents so can they put me as a dependent on the taxes then use those taxes as part of the 3 year tax returns they will be asking for.
17) I think her sister's hot so if I don't marry the girl I love and we are in the middle of immigration, can I change the name of the person that is sponsoring me if it doesn't work out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.