HELP! L2 VISA RENEWAL ADVICE

Old Aug 28th 2016, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

MRSHANNIDES is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP! L2 VISA RENEWAL ADVICE

HI THERE.

MY L2 VISA AND I-94 ARE VALID UNTIL AUG 2018.

MY HUSBAND IS AN L1A AND JUST HAD TO RENEW HIS VISA, HIS I-94 WAS ONLY VALID UNTIL AUG 2016. EVEN THOUGH HIS VISA EXPIRES AUG 2018 ALSO HE HAD TO RE-APPLY, I GUESS THE 3 YEAR MARK.HE HS ANOTHER MARKING ON HIS VISA: "PED AUG 2016".

DO I NEED TO DO THE SAME EVEN THOUGH MY I-94 AND L-2 ARE VALID ALSO UNTIL AUG 2018 WITH NO OTHER MARKINGS OF EXPIRY DATES LIKE HIS.

I KEEP SEEING VARYING ANSWERS AND HIS COMPANY ARE OF NO USE!

NOT WANTING TO DO ANYTHING WRONG AS I HAVE AN AMAZING JOB WHICH I LOVE AND I HAVE TO RE-APPLY FOR MY EAD ALSO AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AS IT CAN TAKE A WHILE.

THANKS IN ADVANCE
Old Aug 28th 2016, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP! L2 VISA RENEWAL ADVICE

Please don't SHOUT!!!!

If your visa is valid until 2018, then I would think there is no need to renew it two years earlier.

People who know better will be along soon to confirm or deny.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Sorry Guindalf!

Caps lock was in!!
That's what I'm thinking but want to be double/triple sure

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Please don't SHOUT!!!!

If your visa is valid until 2018, then I would think there is no need to renew it two years earlier.

People who know better will be along soon to confirm or deny.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 10:55 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

maybe post this in the Visa/Immigration part of the forum?
Old Aug 28th 2016, 11:34 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Thread moved.

Rene
Old Aug 28th 2016, 11:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MRSHANNIDES
MY HUSBAND IS AN L1A AND JUST HAD TO RENEW HIS VISA...
Did you not both get your visas at the same time and enter the US at the same time? Why did his I-94 expire but yours did not?

HIS I-94 WAS ONLY VALID UNTIL AUG 2016. EVEN THOUGH HIS VISA EXPIRES AUG 2018 ALSO HE HAD TO RE-APPLY...
The I-94 determines when he has to leave the US. He could have taken a day trip to Canada or Mexico and returned so long as his visa was still valid. A visa is a travel document... nothing more. You don't need a new visa unless the old one is expiring and you have a need to travel outside the US. It doesn't matter if the visa expires when you're in the US so long as the I-94 is valid.

If his visa was not yet expired, there was absolutely no need to renew it.

DO I NEED TO DO THE SAME EVEN THOUGH MY I-94 AND L-2 ARE VALID ALSO UNTIL AUG 2018...
No.

Ian
Old Aug 29th 2016, 12:25 am
Just Joined

We did not receive ours at the same time, he moved over before me, hence the different dates.
The L1A requires a renewal after 3 years and then again 2 years after that as far we're aware so that's why he renewed.
Thanks for the advice Ian I didn't want to send off for renewal if I didn't have to, I will just renew my EAD.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Did you not both get your visas at the same time and enter the US at the same time? Why did his I-94 expire but yours did not?

We did not receive ours at the same time, he moved over before me, hence the different dates.

The I-94 determines when he has to leave the US. He could have taken a day trip to Canada or Mexico and returned so long as his visa was still valid. A visa is a travel document... nothing more. You don't need a new visa unless the old one is expiring and you have a need to travel outside the US. It doesn't matter if the visa expires when you're in the US so long as the I-94 is valid.

If his visa was not yet expired, there was absolutely no need to renew it.

No.

Ian
Old Aug 29th 2016, 12:26 am
Just Joined

Thanks petitefrancais, I think they moved it for me

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Old Aug 29th 2016, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

The consulate have the authority to issue the travel visa for the full potential duration of stay in the L-1 status to address this very issue, having to return to the consulate for the travel visa.

The company had to renew the underlying petition for him and it looks the consulate just gave him the same visa expiry date that matched the petition at the initial interview. They could have given him the 5 years same as you.

I believe this amendment to the regs happened in 2012 so maybe it wasn't common practice at the time that he had the interview. I did post a link to a doc a few months ago about this very subject in another post.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks orangepants, yes I believe that's the case, either way, we're now all sorted and very thankful for all advice and replies, have a wonderful evening and I'm sure when it comes to the GC we'll be back for more advice!!!