Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Visa Waiver overstay but now a conditional resident

Visa Waiver overstay but now a conditional resident

Old Oct 17th 2011, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

WVDreamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa Waiver overstay but now a conditional resident

I have a question regarding the visa waiver program. I overstayed 3.5 years on the visa waiver program (entered the USA early 2008). I got married almost two years ago and last month was granted conditional permanent resident status (THANK GOD!).

So now I can visit the UK with my wife and show her where I came from etc and visit my parents. However this got me thinking, what would happen if my wife and I wanted to visit somewhere like Italy or France on holidays one year (maybe not France lol ).

Would I be able to visit other countries that use the visa waiver program now that I have overstayed using it before. If this is the case I presume I would have to apply for some sort of tourism visa if we ever wanted to go on holiday to Europe somewhere.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 2:56 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa Waiver overstay but now a conditional resident

Originally Posted by WVDreamer
I have a question regarding the visa waiver program. I overstayed 3.5 years on the visa waiver program (entered the USA early 2008). I got married almost two years ago and last month was granted conditional permanent resident status (THANK GOD!).

So now I can visit the UK with my wife and show her where I came from etc and visit my parents. However this got me thinking, what would happen if my wife and I wanted to visit somewhere like Italy or France on holidays one year (maybe not France lol ).

Would I be able to visit other countries that use the visa waiver program now that I have overstayed using it before. If this is the case I presume I would have to apply for some sort of tourism visa if we ever wanted to go on holiday to Europe somewhere.
You're presumably a UK and EU citizen ("the UK where I come from") so you can visit, live in or work anywhere in Europe. Your wife is presumably a US citizen. Most Americans can visit both the UK and Schengen countries without a visa.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 2:56 am
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

First of all, violating the US visa waiver has no direct effect on your ability to visit other countries. Secondly, British citizens can visit other EU countries as a matter of right through the european conventions.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

WVDreamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I am British, I forgot all about the 'EU Citizen', I had a complete brain melt, thanks for the help.