Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Help! Getting UK qualifications verified

Help! Getting UK qualifications verified

Old Sep 17th 2009, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

chocchipcookie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! Getting UK qualifications verified

I've posted on Immigration but I think more knowledge might be found here with people who live in the US and may have been through this.

I want to get US teacher licensure. Seems like there's a lot of bureaucracy.

They want to have my UK qualifications sent to an agency in the US for 'credential verification'. Does anyone have experience with these agencies?

I have a UK BA degree plus a Law CPE and I passed Bar Finals. I've been told the UK degree won't exactly equate because it's 3 year not 4. Is that true? Does anyone have any idea how many credits this will add up to?

Thanks! I feel a bit discouraged by all the State licensing formalities right now...
Old Sep 17th 2009, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Getting UK qualifications verified

Originally Posted by chocchipcookie
I've posted on Immigration but I think more knowledge might be found here with people who live in the US and may have been through this.

I want to get US teacher licensure. Seems like there's a lot of bureaucracy.

They want to have my UK qualifications sent to an agency in the US for 'credential verification'. Does anyone have experience with these agencies?

I have a UK BA degree plus a Law CPE and I passed Bar Finals. I've been told the UK degree won't exactly equate because it's 3 year not 4. Is that true? Does anyone have any idea how many credits this will add up to?

Thanks! I feel a bit discouraged by all the State licensing formalities right now...
Are you already in the US?

Have you got a visa already?

If not, then I wouldn't worry about translating your qualifications.

You need a gameplan for your visa before you worry about a gameplan for a job.

Last edited by caleyjag; Sep 17th 2009 at 12:10 am.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

I've had a green card for three years. Sorry, should have made that clear.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Try WES.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

Do you have experience with them?
Old Sep 17th 2009, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Not personally but others have, plus I was talking to an admissions director of a top program at a top school the other day and that is the one they prefer. You will need to have transcripts sent to them and get a course by course evaluation. They will 'convert' it to US courses and give each one a GPA which should give you everything you need. It will be the one I use when I have my degrees translated.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 1:41 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I have a question in the same theme.
If you got your Degree in a US Uni, do you have to send off the transcripts for verification so that UK firms recognise them?
Old Sep 17th 2009, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have experience with them?
WES is fine. The whole "translation" system is full of holes. But WES is what Harvard would use, so you should be OK.

Last edited by anotherlimey; Sep 17th 2009 at 3:58 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I have a question in the same theme.
If you got your Degree in a US Uni, do you have to send off the transcripts for verification so that UK firms recognise them?
I would think UK firms would recognize a US degree as equivalent to a UK degree, but it's up to the employer. IMO there may be some bias against the US degree if it's not a well known university.

Last edited by anotherlimey; Sep 17th 2009 at 4:04 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
WES is fine. The whole "translation" system is full of holes. But WES is what Harvard would use, so you should be OK.
Yep, I'm not expecting much!
Old Sep 17th 2009, 5:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Use whoever they ask you to use, different areas will use different people so might be a waste of time.

If they don't have a preference, WES are usually the standard.

As for qualifications, completely depends on the State you want to teach and often down to how desperate the local area might be.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

One of the problems I'm running into is that I'm in Ohio which is v. fussy about degree content. I have a History degree but I want to teach English so I may have to do all sorts of English pre-requisites plus a Masters (MEd)to be credible in the job market here which is quite competitive. So it's going to be a question of seing what I have to do and whether the jobs are there at the end of the line. The economy here is pretty bad, lots of people are retraining.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

One of the problems I'm running into is that I'm in Ohio which is v. fussy about degree content. I have a History degree but I want to teach English so I may have to do all sorts of English pre-requisites plus a Masters (MEd)to be credible in the job market here which is quite competitive. So it's going to be a question of seing what I have to do and whether the jobs are there at the end of the line. The economy here is pretty bad, lots of people are retraining.
Having a Masters in education doesn't necessarily mean you will have a better chance in competing for teaching jobs.

Here in IL, there are plenty of teachers trying to get jobs, the problem they are running into here is that it costs the school too much to hire someone with a Masters, they are taking on 'newer' less accredited applicants, because they can get two of them for the cost of one with a Masters.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

That is very interesting. I did have my suspicions about that. It's really hard to get school levies passed round here. I imagine Illinois and Ohio are pretty similar in terms of the job market.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

That is very interesting. I did have my suspicions about that. It's really hard to get school levies passed round here. I imagine Illinois and Ohio are pretty similar in terms of the job market.
I only know about here because I know a girl with a Masters degree in education, she can't get hired because her salary would cost the disrict too much. She is now working in a gym during the day and a bar at night

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.