Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

HELP! Do I need a 212 (d)(3) waiver to reenter in the USA

HELP! Do I need a 212 (d)(3) waiver to reenter in the USA

Old Aug 11th 2016, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

maole is just really nicemaole is just really nicemaole is just really nicemaole is just really nicemaole is just really nicemaole is just really nicemaole is just really nicemaole is just really nicemaole is just really nicemaole is just really nice
Default HELP! Do I need a 212 (d)(3) waiver to reenter in the USA

Hi,
long time ago I wrote another post asking for help on my issue "Ban for 5 years to re-entry US!!! HELP" and I got very good advises. The story was that I was visiting my boyfriend in the US (I didn't overstay) and I got refused under 217.4 (a) because they saw that I was working illegally. They didn't want to give me my Record of incident I-877, but I got it recently after following your steps to do it on my own and there wasn't any other code on it. I got a job in Columbus a teacher but in the end I refused it because I was scared not get the Visa J1 granted. I would like to come back next year with the same visa, J1, but I don't know how to start the whole process.
I recently contacted a new lawyer and he told me that I have a permanent ban for working illegally!!, the previous lawyer said that I had a 5 year ban! well now I don't know what to do because the new lawyer told me I need a waiver 212 (d)(3). My questions:
1. Can I prepare it on my own?
2. How much should it cost?
3. When should I submit the waiver? should I do it before applying for a non inmigrant visa or who decides it?
Thank you in advance
Old Aug 11th 2016, 11:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP! Do I need a 212 (d)(3) waiver to reenter in the USA

Originally Posted by maole
I recently contacted a new lawyer and he told me that I have a permanent ban for working illegally!!, the previous lawyer said that I had a 5 year ban!
Why don't you look up the law yourself? It's posted online... all you have to do is look for it.

When should I submit the waiver?
You can't apply for a waiver until after the visa has been denied. The interviewing officer must recommend the waiver on your behalf and then the officer submits the paperwork. You don't do anything except apply for the visa and go to the interview.

Ian
Old Aug 12th 2016, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

maole is just really nicemaole is just really nicemaole is just really nicemaole is just really nicemaole is just really nicemaole is just really nicemaole is just really nicemaole is just really nicemaole is just really nicemaole is just really nice

I looked up myself, but it is not that easy to understand...I only know that i only have one code written on my passport 217.4 (a) and nothing else on my record of incident. I worked illegally and I read that I can't return in a period of 5 years, but I just want to apply for a B2 visa (even if I know its going to be denied) and after that i will request a waiver. I got a job in Columbus under a J1 but I wasn't sure to take it because of the visa thing but I will try next year if I get the job as a visiting teacher again. Thank you
Old Aug 12th 2016, 9:20 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I looked up myself, but it is not that easy to understand...I only know that i only have one code written on my passport 217.4 (a) and nothing else on my record of incident. I worked illegally and I read that I can't return in a period of 5 years, but I just want to apply for a B2 visa (even if I know its going to be denied) and after that i will request a waiver. I got a job in Columbus under a J1 but I wasn't sure to take it because of the visa thing but I will try next year if I get the job as a visiting teacher again. Thank you
No, you won't request a waiver, the interviewing officer will, if he feels it's the right thing to do and that you qualify.
Old Aug 12th 2016, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

thanks...
Old Aug 17th 2016, 7:16 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

It is unlikely that you need a waiver at all.

217 is Visa Waiver refusal. There is no 5 year bar for that. The statement is taken on the I-877.

The Expedited Removal is a 5 year bar. That does not even use an I-877. It uses an I-867A/B instead.

There is no 5 year or permanent bar merely for working. The only 5 year bars are for removals of arriving aliens by an officer (expedited removal) or by an immigration judge. A student visa abuser can get a 5 year bar, but that is not applicable.

A 217 VWP refusal is not a removal order and can usually be overcome with a successful visa application. No 212(d)(3) waiver is required unless there was some other problem such as criminal, overstay of over 180 days, fraud/misrepresentation or something else.

Getting a visa may be tough because they may not be convinced that you won't violate again.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crg
It is unlikely that you need a waiver at all.
My new lawyer said I will need one . But thanks for answering .
217 is Visa Waiver refusal. There is no 5 year bar for that. The statement is taken on the I-877.
I didn't find in my statement anything written on it, no other codes, nothing from expedited removal etc
The Expedited Removal is a 5 year bar. That does not even use an I-877. It uses an I-867A/B instead.

There is no 5 year or permanent bar merely for working. The only 5 year bars are for removals of arriving aliens by an officer (expedited removal) or by an immigration judge. A student visa abuser can get a 5 year bar, but that is not applicable.
I was traveling on my ESTA and I knew I couldn't work

A 217 VWP refusal is not a removal order and can usually be overcome with a successful visa application. No 212(d)(3) waiver is required unless there was some other problem such as criminal, overstay of over 180 days, fraud/misrepresentation or something else.
I didn't overstay, they only saw that I was tutoring two kids and they thought I wanted to marry my American boyfriend, now ex, but we weren't thinking of that at all. They found strange that I traveled often to the USA.
Getting a visa may be tough because they may not be convinced that you won't violate again.
I will only apply if I get a job and a sponsor. I got this year a school in Columbus, I'm a teacher, but I refused it bc I thought it is too risk to leave everything here in Germany (flat, job ...) to get another refusal for breaking the laws three years ago. I'm sooo confused bc I paid two immigration lawyers and they told me different things. I always appreciate your help guys !
Old Aug 20th 2016, 6:58 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

My new lawyer said I will need one . But thanks for answering .
You sure do have a lot of confidence in your new lawyer.... Keep in mind that your new lawyer may have just fell off the turnip truck.

If the lawyers both told you different things, how do you know which, if any, is right? A simple visa application may get you an official answer as to whether or not you need a waiver. However, 3 years isn't a very long time since your last problem.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
You sure do have a lot of confidence in your new lawyer.... Keep in mind that your new lawyer may have just fell off the turnip truck.

If the lawyers both told you different things, how do you know which, if any, is right? A simple visa application may get you an official answer as to whether or not you need a waiver. However, 3 years isn't a very long time since your last problem.
That's easy to answer. It's obviously the one that fits in with the OP's plans the best!!!!!

Duh!
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Thanks