British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   H1B visa/ American fiance - Is the 30 60 90 day rule applicable to my situation? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/h1b-visa-american-fiance-30-60-90-day-rule-applicable-my-situation-501799/)

Clare37 Dec 26th 2007 11:12 pm

H1B visa/ American fiance - Is the 30 60 90 day rule applicable to my situation?

I am a UK citizen in the US on an H1B visa and my fiancé is American. I have been in the US for 63 days. Ideally we would like to get married as soon as possible (before the 90 days) but are prepared to wait 90 days if getting married before this would cause problems when I adjust status.

I’d be grateful for your input on either/ both of the following questions:

1. Is the 30 60 90 day rule relevant to my situation ie people on the H1B visa? (It sounds to me like it may be used mainly in relation to people here on the visa waiver program/ on tourist visas).

2. Is the 30 60 90 day relevant to marriage per se or specifically to adjustment of status. For example, if I ensured that I did not apply for adjustment of status before the 90 days, would getting married before the 90 days matter?

Thanks in advance!

Elvira Dec 26th 2007 11:39 pm

Re: H1B visa/ American fiance - Is the 30 60 90 day rule applicable to my situation?

Originally Posted by Clare37 (Post 5706839)
I am a UK citizen in the US on an H1B visa and my fiancé is American. I have been in the US for 63 days. Ideally we would like to get married as soon as possible (before the 90 days) but are prepared to wait 90 days if getting married before this would cause problems when I adjust status.

1. Is the 30 60 90 day rule relevant to my situation ie people on the H1B visa? (It sounds to me like it may be used mainly in relation to people here on the visa waiver program/ on tourist visas).

2. Is the 30 60 90 day relevant to marriage per se or specifically to adjustment of status. For example, if I ensured that I did not apply for adjustment of status before the 90 days, would getting married before the 90 days matter?

Thanks in advance!

Not relevant. H1b is dual intent.

dbj1000 Dec 27th 2007 12:02 am

Re: H1B visa/ American fiance - Is the 30 60 90 day rule applicable to my situation?

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 5706913)
Not relevant. H1b is dual intent.

"H1-B Dual Intent - a) I intend to be screwed by my employer and b) I intend to be screwed by USCIS"

:rofl:

Elvira Dec 27th 2007 12:10 am

Originally Posted by dbj1000 (Post 5706977)
"H1-B Dual Intent - a) I intend to be screwed by my employer and b) I intend to be screwed by USCIS"

:rofl:

In other words - the sooner she gets that ring on her finger, the better... :p

ian-mstm Dec 27th 2007 1:21 am

1. Is the 30 60 90 day rule relevant...

The 30/60/90 day rule is a myth.

Ian

fatbrit Dec 27th 2007 1:28 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 5707110)
The 30/60/90 day rule is a myth.

Ian

It's sitting there in FAM, though.

Ray Dec 27th 2007 3:29 am

Your in the country legally ..get married tomorrow or in 3 months ....its no matter ..

Folinskyinla Dec 29th 2007 12:18 am

Thanks in advance!

Hi:

Ah, the so called "30/60" "rule." It is NOT a substantive rule. It is a PROCEDURAL rule on how Department of State types are to process 212(a)(6)(C) fraud findings as to whether or not they need Visa Office Advisory Opinion. That is it -- nothing more, nothing less.

It is NOT a planning tool.

fatbrit Dec 29th 2007 12:21 am

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla (Post 5714090)
It is NOT a planning tool.

But you'd be silly ignoring it if....for the sake of argument....you were...a'hem...planning it.

Folinskyinla Dec 30th 2007 3:35 am

Thanks in advance!

Hi:

I have reviewed your question carefully. I make mention of a Department of State procedural rule regarding whether or not a consular officer must obtain a formal advisory opinion on whether or not to make a finding of "fraud or wilful misrepresentation" in denial of a visa application.

You pose absolutely nothing that suggests such fraud or misrepresentation.

So, can you please clarify what you are asking about? It just might help.