Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

H1B and H4 with separate travel dates

H1B and H4 with separate travel dates

Old Apr 22nd 2017, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

madrigal has a reputation beyond reputemadrigal has a reputation beyond reputemadrigal has a reputation beyond reputemadrigal has a reputation beyond reputemadrigal has a reputation beyond reputemadrigal has a reputation beyond reputemadrigal has a reputation beyond reputemadrigal has a reputation beyond reputemadrigal has a reputation beyond reputemadrigal has a reputation beyond reputemadrigal has a reputation beyond repute
Default H1B and H4 with separate travel dates

Would be very grateful for advice on my situation- I've received my I-797 (towards a H1B visa) and am currently filling in the DS-160 forms for myself and family. I'm planning to make the move in July but my wife and kids (applying for H4) can only join me a month or two later due to her commitments at work. We still intend to include details of the whole family in each other's 'Travel Companions Information' section of the form so that we can attend the interview together. However I'm not sure if we need to mention to the consulate official interviewing us that my departure is before theirs, or should we just say our estimated leaving date is the same?

Ideally I'd like to return to the UK once I've settled into my new place Stateside and then travel back to the US with family but I'm not sure how that would be looked upon when I re-enter the US - might I be refused re-entry under any circumstances if my initial admission to the US was uneventful?

If it would become a problem I guess the alternative is for me to file my DS-160 separately without any mention of travel companions and my family files theirs together (& the most I could do is be there to receive them as soon as they land in the US).

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 3:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1B and H4 with separate travel dates

Originally Posted by madrigal
I'm not sure if we need to mention to the consulate official interviewing us that my departure is before theirs...
There's no reason not to mention it. It'll make no difference at all. The only caveat is that they can't enter the US unless you, the H-1B holder, are already there or are accompanying them.

I'm not sure how that would be looked upon when I re-enter the US...
It'll make no difference at all. It's a non-issue.

Ian
Old Apr 24th 2017, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

madrigal has a reputation beyond reputemadrigal has a reputation beyond reputemadrigal has a reputation beyond reputemadrigal has a reputation beyond reputemadrigal has a reputation beyond reputemadrigal has a reputation beyond reputemadrigal has a reputation beyond reputemadrigal has a reputation beyond reputemadrigal has a reputation beyond reputemadrigal has a reputation beyond reputemadrigal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1B and H4 with separate travel dates

Thanks very much