H-1B Visa help please.

Old Jun 9th 2017, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

hh619 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default H-1B Visa help please.

Hi,

My name is Matt (as the username suggests )

I'm currently looking at options to move to U.S. I believe i fit the H-1B requirements albeit by the skin of my teeth. Essentially i have 12 years professional experience but no degree.

Right - I work in I.T, and I’ve been on many U.S jobsites and found countless vacancies which i fit perfectly. I've started to apply for some, but I’m not getting much feedback yet.

I've Americanised my Resume / Covering letter which should definitely help my chances!

Could someone please advise on the best way to approach possible employers? I’ve mentioned in my covering letter that I would require a sponsorship, etc.

Also, what time of year is best to apply for positions? Obviously if a position is open now, it is unlikely to stay open until the next load of H-1B petitions go through?

And finally, I can’t find accurate information about when you can actually apply for next years (2018) H-1B visas. Am I too late?

I appreciate any constructive feedback.

Matt
Old Jun 9th 2017, 12:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H-1B Visa help please.

The employer must start the process. The first date he can submit a petition for you is April 1, 2018....for a start date in October 2018.

Rene
Old Jun 9th 2017, 12:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Mentioning needing sponsorship in the cover letter is probably killing your chances.

Best way of job hunting is networking.

Another good option is to work for a company with offices in the USA. After a year, ask for a transfer to the USA.

Rene
Old Jun 9th 2017, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Noorah101 - Thank you for you reply.

I keep seeing H-1B 2018 quota has been reached within 4 days! but it's all to do with the fiscal year and that 2018 H-1B visas start April 1st

I assume its probably best to look for positions in 2018 rather than now?
Old Jun 9th 2017, 12:43 pm

The H-1B fills up very fast...within days...and then it goes to a lottery drawing.

Sorry, I can't really advise on when to apply.

Rene
Old Jun 9th 2017, 1:04 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The H-1B fills up very fast...within days...and then it goes to a lottery drawing.

Sorry, I can't really advise on when to apply.

Rene
Surely it's up to the company as to when THEY apply as it is something the OP just can't do.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 1:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I don't suppose any of the jobs are in education or research? Educational establishments and research institutes have access to "uncapped" H-1B visas which as the name suggests can be applied for without limit and at any time of year.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Surely it's up to the company as to when THEY apply as it is something the OP just can't do.
Sorry, I meant apply for the job. Not apply for the visa.

Rene
Old Jun 9th 2017, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Mikelincs - Bit of confusion, i meant what is the best time to apply for open vacancies, as if you apply to early i assume you're less likely to be considered as they may not be able to wait until Oct 2018. Thanks for your reply.

Pulaski - Not that i've seen so far, but that is some good information, thank you.

Noorah101 - Sorry i missed one of your replies. I've considered working for a US company in the UK, but there aren't many near me.

I might take out that i need sponsorship. I just hope i wont have employers resenting me after they realise that it is a requirement.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Matt88
Noorah101 - Sorry i missed one of your replies. I've considered working for a US company in the UK, but there aren't many near me.
How about not near you? You might want to move to one of those locations, depending on how interested you are in ultimately moving to the USA.

Rene
Old Jun 9th 2017, 1:32 pm

I might take out that i need sponsorship. I just hope i wont have employers resenting me after they realise that it is a requirement.
They won't resent you, they just won't hire you...which is already what they're not doing.

Rene
Old Jun 9th 2017, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Well, it is something i might consider. I definitely do want to make the move to the States.

The problem is having to uproots twice!
Old Jun 9th 2017, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
They won't resent you, they just won't hire you...which is already what they're not doing.

Rene
touché
Old Jun 9th 2017, 1:38 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Mikelincs - Bit of confusion, i meant what is the best time to apply for open vacancies, as if you apply to early i assume you're less likely to be considered as they may not be able to wait until Oct 2018. Thanks for your reply.

Pulaski - Not that i've seen so far, but that is some good information, thank you.

That may well be the case, there are many employers in the US who do not know how to go about getting visas for people from outside the US and do not have lawyers to guide them, so do not know that is will cost them thousands of dollars.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikelincs
That may well be the case, there are many employers in the US who do not know how to go about getting visas for people from outside the US and do not have lawyers to guide them, so do not know that is will cost them thousands of dollars.
Yeah thats true! I would even take a salary hit the first year to cover the expenses!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.