Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Green card whilst living in Canada?

Green card whilst living in Canada?

Old Feb 12th 2015, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

deltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Green card whilst living in Canada?

I'm Canadian, and American; my husband has his Canadian PR. We live near the border of the US.
There is some chance he will be doing some work in Seattle for a UK subsidiary of a US company. He will be paid in Pounds into to a UK account by the UK part of the company.
Is this a problem in terms of working in the US without a permit?
What does he need to do or have at the border so as to not have problems?

Can I get him a green card even though we do not live in the US?
Old Feb 12th 2015, 11:36 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green card whilst living in Canada?

I don't know about the work visa part, but no he can't get a green card unless he lives in the USA.

Rene
Old Feb 12th 2015, 12:34 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deltadeliquent
Yes. He must have employment authorization to work in the US... regardless of who pays or where the money goes. If he's in the US when he's doing the work, he must have permission from US immigration.

He's not allowed to work in the US based solely on him being a Canadian PR and living near the border. If the company was willing to sponsor him for a visa, that might work - but that's going to take time... and he can't apply for the visa himself independently of the company. They must start the process on his behalf.

No.

Ian
Old Feb 12th 2015, 1:37 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I don't know about the work visa part, but no he can't get a green card unless he lives in the USA.

Rene
did they get rid of the commuter green card?
Old Feb 12th 2015, 1:48 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deltadeliquent
I'm Canadian, and American; my husband has his Canadian PR. We live near the border of the US.
There is some chance he will be doing some work in Seattle for a UK subsidiary of a US company. He will be paid in Pounds into to a UK account by the UK part of the company.

OP has posed extremely sophisticated questions. In fact, there are ones that most immigration attorneys are not really knowledgeable on. The two lead cases are

Matter of Kane and Matter of Huang.

There exists the possibility of a "B-1" visa or VISA waiver.

There are knowledgable immigration attorneys on the border who probably are up on these issues. I can think of several who are in Bellingham/Blaine area and in Buffalo.

Again, these issues are sophisticated and are NOT really subject to lay opinions. Also, advance planning and preperation is a good idea.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

deltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond repute

I've never even heard of a commuter green card,but it seems to still be out there. Thank you so much, we are going to hire a lawyer and look into it.
I knew you guys would know...
Old Feb 12th 2015, 2:17 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
did they get rid of the commuter green card?
The CGC is for US PR's who wish to live in Canada or Mexico without losing their PR status. It is not for Canadian PR's who wish to work in the US.

Ian
Old Feb 12th 2015, 2:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never heard of a commuter green card, but I'm not s lawyer.

Rene
Old Feb 12th 2015, 2:20 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The CGC is for US PR's who wish to live in Canada or Mexico without losing their PR status. It is not for Canadian PR's who wish to work in the US.

Ian
right, so if the USC OP gets her husband a GC based on them being married he will have a US GC, they can live in Canada and he can work in the US. It might be 2 step, where they would have to live in the US first and then convert it to a CGC when they move back to Canada.

Last edited by tht; Feb 12th 2015 at 2:23 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by tht
right, so if the USC OP gets her husband a GC based on them being married he will have a US GC, they can live in Canada and he can work in the US. It might be 2 step, where they would have to live in the US first and then convert it to a CGC when they move back to Canada.
But they have to live in the USA in order for him to get the green card in the first place. Are they willing to move to the USA just for that? She can't "get him a green card" from outside the USA.

Rene
Old Feb 12th 2015, 2:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by tht
It'd be 8-10 months before the husband can move to the US to become a PR, and they would then need to live in the US... and then he could apply for a CGC and they could move back to Canada. But yes, that's doable. Stupid, IMHO, but doable.

Ian
Old Feb 12th 2015, 2:38 pm
tht

It'd be 8-10 months before the husband can move to the US to become a PR, and they would then need to live in the US... and then he could apply for a CGC and they could move back to Canada. But yes, that's doable. Stupid, IMHO, but doable.

Ian
Probably true, especially from a tax perspective, but it may work for some people.

I only ever researched it in terms of living in the US and commuting to Europe on a weekly basis, but it was not applicable for that.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 2:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Again, these issues are sophisticated and are NOT really subject to lay opinions.
<rant>

With respect, we lay persons are as entitled to our opinions as you are! If you don't like what we write, just say so. Don't shroud it within your cryptic posts which, more and more, seem to equate "lay" with "ignorant" and "stupid". We, at least, are trying to help. Of late, you seem to prefer to dismiss what we say - and using the term "lay" probably makes you feel like it isn't some sort of insult. After all, it's the truth... how can that possibly be insulting? If only the opinion of a lawyer has value, then the rest of us might as well pack up and go home... and you can respond as cryptically as ever to those posts you find worthy of comment, and not need to worry that lay people are getting in your way.

</rant>

Ian
Old Feb 12th 2015, 4:10 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

<rant>

With respect, we lay persons are as entitled to our opinions as you are! If you don't like what we write, just say so. Don't shroud it within your cryptic posts which, more and more, seem to equate "lay" with "ignorant" and "stupid". We, at least, are trying to help. Of late, you seem to prefer to dismiss what we say - and using the term "lay" probably makes you feel like it isn't some sort of insult. After all, it's the truth... how can that possibly be insulting? If only the opinion of a lawyer has value, then the rest of us might as well pack up and go home... and you can respond as cryptically as ever to those posts you find worthy of comment, and not need to worry that lay people are getting in your way.

</rant>

Ian
... but then even a someone who believes they know the answer is entitled to an opinion. Hopefully anyone coming on here realises this is an open forum full of know-alls. Takes what they find here and does their own due diligence before making a decision.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 4:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Aviator
... but then even a someone who believes they know the answer is entitled to an opinion.
True... but if I believe someone is wrong, I come right out and say so. Indeed, I've often poked fun at people for their naïveté. But I don't mince my words, nor shield them in language that suggests that my opinion is the only one that's worthy. Everyone here who knows me for more than 5 minutes, knows that I can be brutal when it comes to speaking my mind... brutally honest, I hope - but brutal nevertheless. I have rarely suggested that the opinions of other members are unworthy - and in those rare occasions, I direct my comments directly at the person... not to some nebulous, unnamed persons in general.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Feb 12th 2015 at 4:33 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.