Green Card revoked?

Old Oct 12th 2009, 8:43 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green Card revoked?

Originally Posted by XYZ123
I have to stand by my previous post. Don't waste your money on a lawyer just yet. Just fly in and flash your Green card. 99% probability you go through without any problems. If they do give you problems, THEN you will need a lawyer. But why waste your money before any problem arises.
You stand by your previous post, all except the lying about how long he's been away, right?

3...messages describing anything against the law is not allowed and will be removed.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

bendannett is an unknown quantity at this point

If the BPO determines that I have abandoned my GC and therefore schedules an interview with a immigration judge, is it possible to remain in the US under the visa waiver program? (British Passport) for up to 3 months?
Old Oct 12th 2009, 9:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bendannett
If the BPO determines that I have abandoned my GC and therefore schedules an interview with a immigration judge, is it possible to remain in the US under the visa waiver program? (British Passport) for up to 3 months?
The POE officer does not make the determination that you've abandoned anything. If they have doubts, they'll let you in, but you have to straighten it out with an IJ. You won't be in the USA on the VWP. You might be able to spend 3 months in the USA, or perhaps even longer, depending on how long it takes to get that meeting with the IJ. I believe you will be spending your time in detention until you see the IJ. Or, if you have an attorney, perhaps there is a way to get out of detention, but you won't be able to work or anything.

Rene
Old Oct 12th 2009, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Sharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to all

Originally Posted by XYZ123
I have to stand by my previous post. Don't waste your money on a lawyer just yet. Just fly in and flash your Green card. 99% probability you go through without any problems. If they do give you problems, THEN you will need a lawyer. But why waste your money before any problem arises.
Which Airport are you flying in to?

When I have landed at Chicago....they take my GC and look at it...take my passport and look at it. Then they scan them.....There's no flashing it. Then they ask me a few questions.

The bottom line is if the guy wants to be certain of entry then he should follow the appropriate advice here. If not and he wants to the run the risk of not being allowed to work and perhaps being detained......then follow your great advice.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 11:38 pm
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
To be precise, he is a US permanent resident until an Immigration Judge says he isn't. It's not until "someone takes it away".

Ian
True, I meant Someone with Authority. I sure hope this could not be misinterpreted to say that if someone grabbed your card away from you, your Residency is gone.

The point I tried to make is that he can consider himself a Resident until the US government tells him he is not.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 12:28 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

If you're scheduled to see a judge you'd be paroled into the US, not admitted.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 12:08 am
Just Joined

bendannett is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The POE officer does not make the determination that you've abandoned anything. If they have doubts, they'll let you in, but you have to straighten it out with an IJ. You won't be in the USA on the VWP. You might be able to spend 3 months in the USA, or perhaps even longer, depending on how long it takes to get that meeting with the IJ. I believe you will be spending your time in detention until you see the IJ. Or, if you have an attorney, perhaps there is a way to get out of detention, but you won't be able to work or anything.

Rene
Forgive me, but are you saying that they will let me in, or I will have to spend time in detention, before seeing an IJ?
Old Oct 28th 2009, 2:25 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a Green Card holder of 8 years. My job in the film Industry takes me all over the world. Last year I worked in The UK, but due to the recession the work came to a halt, so I applied for work in the US. This also came to no avail due to lack of jobs in the film industry (in my specialized area of expertise) So I had to travel further afield to New Zealand!
I stopped in transit in LA on the way to NZ but I didn't have time to sort out a reentry permit.
I am planning on returning to the US next month to resume employment, but I'm concerned that they won't let me return.

Is there anything I can do before I return, like visiting the NZ consulate? Will they be able to tell me if I still have a valid Green Card?

~Thanks
Jeez:

I see that this thread took place while I was in Vietnam and was not on the internet all that much.

Consult with an attorney who is experienced in abandonment law -- preferably one who has tried one or two of the beasties.

BTW, do file those past tax returns.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Forgive me, but are you saying that they will let me in, or I will have to spend time in detention, before seeing an IJ?
You will likely not be admitted, but rather paroled in (huge legal difference)... and yes, you might be put in detention until you see an IJ. The one thing no one here can tell you, is what will definitely happen when you enter the US with your GC. There's just too many variables including whether or not the POE officer is having a bad hair day.

Ian
Old Oct 28th 2009, 3:20 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You will likely not be admitted, but rather paroled in (huge legal difference)... and yes, you might be put in detention until you see an IJ. The one thing no one here can tell you, is what will definitely happen when you enter the US with your GC. There's just too many variables including whether or not the POE officer is having a bad hair day.

Ian
My dear sanctimonious prick:

Which one is it? Parole or detention? I find your post confusing.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 4:34 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Which one is it? Parole or detention?
Wasn't that clear? It's either one or the other. Hmm... I should have used "or" rather than "and".

Ian