green card interview

Old Mar 28th 2015, 12:38 am
Kei
Just Joined

Kei is an unknown quantity at this point
Default green card interview

I am in London. I have green card interview in us embassy next week. My medicals are not done yet. I was advised by visa medicals in Knightsbridge doctors to attend my interview. I have to travel by the 2nd week of April.hope they don't keep my passport. What should I expect?
Thank you in advance for all your tips and suggestion

Last edited by Kei; Mar 28th 2015 at 12:53 am.
Old Mar 28th 2015, 12:53 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: green card interview

You can't have a green card interview at s US Embassy. You are probably going for an immigrant visa interview.

Go to the interview as scheduled. If you haven't done the medical by that time, or if they don't have the results yet, they will suspend approval of the visa until they get the medical results.

You can ask for your passport back after the interview, but you will have to send it back in when the visa gets approved.

If you have your passport in hand, but not the visa yet, you can VISIT the USA, but you can't immigrate until you have the Immigrant visa in your passport, so you'd have to come back to the UK for that.

Rene
Old Mar 28th 2015, 12:58 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Not enough information, but they won't keep your passport unless they are ready to issue a visa, and that won't be the case if the medical is not complete.
( you are getting a visa, not a green card)
Old Mar 28th 2015, 1:29 am
Kei
Just Joined

Thank you. That's correct am going to have interview for immigrant visa.
-My interview is on April 1, follow up doctor appointment for more test on April 2.
-travel date April 9-May 6

Am assuming during my interview I will get my passport back since medicals are incomplete. Also, my concern is how long will it take to hear from them once they receive all my medicals. Since I will be away a month, can I send my passport in once am back to London?
Thank you so much for your responses. Really appreciate it.
Old Mar 28th 2015, 1:58 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If it seems like they want to keep your passport, you can ask for it back.

There's really no way of knowing how long it will take.

Yes, you can send your passport in when you're back in the UK, after your trip.

Rene
Old Mar 28th 2015, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Springy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud of

We were told, when we had our medicals in Kinghtsbridge this January, that it takes them about 5 working days to get the results to the Embassy. Our passports were kept following our interview and released to the courier 3 working days after. It then took a further 2 days for them to become available for collection.
Old Mar 28th 2015, 9:31 am
Kei
Just Joined

Thank you for sharing your experience. We were also told medical has to be in 5 days before interview. Unfortunately, though we started medical couple of weeks ago had to do more test and taking longer. We then contacted Knightsbridge medical and they told us to go ahead for interview. I have to travel urgently. Am hoping I can get my passport back on the day of interview and continue further with medical on April 2, and travel as planned on April 9. Return from my travel and send in passport for visa!!!
Old Mar 28th 2015, 11:22 am

I'm sure we are all interested to know what the problem is with your medical, and why you need to go for further testing? And you say "we" have to go for further testing... so not just you alone?

Which immigrant visa category are you?

Rene
Old Mar 28th 2015, 12:22 pm
Kei
Just Joined

I got green card through work and filed for my husband who is british (following to join). As for Medical issue its just a high blood pressure, but taking too long, had to do blood test, waiting for result and ABPM.

Thank you.
Old Mar 28th 2015, 12:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kei
I have to travel urgently. Am hoping I can get my passport back on the day of interview and continue further with medical on April 2, and travel as planned on April 9. Return from my travel and send in passport for visa!!!
This is a common scenario. People don't often realize this, but you are allowed to live your life while your visa is processing! You won't have a problem doing this.

Ian
Old Mar 28th 2015, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Kei
I got green card through work and filed for my husband who is british (following to join). As for Medical issue its just a high blood pressure, but taking too long, had to do blood test, waiting for result and ABPM.

Thank you.
OK, so it's actually your husband who is doing the immigrant visa process and who has to travel urgently to the USA? The way this thread is worded, it sounds like it's YOU who is doing the visa process, but since you already have a green card, it's not.

You also said "we" are having problems with the medical exam, but actually it's just your husband having the issues.

Rene
Old Mar 28th 2015, 3:22 pm
Kei
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
OK, so it's actually your husband who is doing the immigrant visa process and who has to travel urgently to the USA? The way this thread is worded, it sounds like it's YOU who is doing the visa process, but since you already have a green card, it's not.

You also said "we" are having problems with the medical exam, but actually it's just your husband having the issues.

Rene
Sorry for confusion. We both started this thread but I end up posting.

Let me clarify: im in US. My husband is the one who is going for interview and having medical delays. But we both have to travel to India for family emergency. Myself- I can travel, no issues but am concerned about my husband. Fingers crossed he will get to keep his passport.
Thank you for prompt response.
Old Mar 28th 2015, 3:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kei
Fingers crossed he will get to keep his passport.
His passport is the property of the government that issued it. US immigration can't arbitrarily take it from him even if he has applied for a visa. He must give it to them willingly. If he doesn't give it to them, they won't have it. If he gives it to them and later asks for it back, they will give it back to him.

... we both have to travel to India for family emergency.
This seems inconsistent with a travel date that is almost 2 weeks from now. I guess the "emergency" isn't too serious!

Ian