Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Green card, away for 15 months, SB-1 etc.

Green card, away for 15 months, SB-1 etc.

Old Sep 8th 2017, 5:18 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green card, away for 15 months, SB-1 etc.

One huge concern may be that the OP may not have actually ever really established a place of general abode in the U.S. He may need to establish that circumstances beyond his control preventing him from returning to his U.S. residence. Although his reasons for being away for so long are compelling, it's unclear if he actually had a U.S. residence to be temporarily away from. I concur that there is a need for professional, qualified legal assistance.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 5:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
One huge concern may be that the OP may not have actually ever really established a place of general abode in the U.S. He may need to establish that circumstances beyond his control preventing him from returning to his U.S. residence. Although his reasons for being away for so long are compelling, it's unclear if he actually had a U.S. residence to be temporarily away from. I concur that there is a need for professional, qualified legal assistance.
I do agree with you on this point. He was fact finding while in the US looking for the ideal place for him to settle down and having found it, he left the US to finalize the moving of his things and end his residency in the UK. Unless he returns to advise that he had in fact purchased a home or rented an apartment, he doesn't appear to have made what is customarily the considered steps that prove his intended residency.

For this OP, I would suggest, at the very least, a one time consultation with a knowledgeable, well versed immigration attorney.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 5:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

As Mr. Folinsky has noted in the past, he is an attorney but not your attorney. I leave it to him to reply to those who question why he does not give advice on the forums but rather prefers to elude to possible issues/problems and oft times leaves the reader with their mouth hanging open.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 6:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
As Mr. Folinsky has noted in the past, he is an attorney...
Not any more he's not. He's retired and, as has been the case for a while now, he's of counsel to others but doesn't practice himself. I note also that he no longer posts with his disclaimer - which pretty much makes him just like everyone else here... nothing more than a regular member who, unfortunately, continues to do a disservice to those he purports to help. He mistakenly believes that giving advice and giving information are the same thing!

At any rate, my apologies to Riverink for the tangent.

Ian
Old Sep 8th 2017, 6:43 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
As Mr. Folinsky has noted in the past, he is an attorney but not your attorney. I leave it to him to reply to those who question why he does not give advice on the forums but rather prefers to elude to possible issues/problems and oft times leaves the reader with their mouth hanging open.
My profile shows that my signature line has not changed. Why it doesn't appear any more, I have not a clue.

Edit: now it shows up again. I thought it was a quirk of Android. I guess not.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Sep 8th 2017 at 6:46 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 11:18 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
fair enough.

Why don't you advise the OP then? Step by step through it all? Or at least some helpful hints? Like many of us do in other circumstances?
Hi:

I have become aware that the appearance of my signature line has become quite intermittent. I am an attorney and I am responsible for any legal advice I may give. And it does not take all that much to create at least the appearance of an attorney client relationship. Hence the disclaimer in my signature line. Any lay person will not be liable for any advice given, good, bad or indifferent. Not true for me.

My good friend J Craig Fong would use the phrase "janitorial work" to attempt to clean up messes that could have been avoided. I have no objection per se to DIY, but some situations are not in reasonable DIY-land.

So, when I see what could very well be dangerous advice, I will often point out the danger.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 12:34 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The OP has a green card... how he got it doesn't enter into the equation, so where his father lives is irrelevant.

Ian
But if he's relying on his father's ill health as a compelling reason for NOT being in the USA, it may open an unwelcome can of worms when questioned further.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I was an attorney...
FIFY. You have repeatedly noted that you are retired and that you no longer practice. You are an ex-attorney. From where I sit, you are so locked in to damage control, that you are no longer able to separate advice from information.

So, when I see what could very well be dangerous advice, I will often point out the danger.
But that's not what you do. More often than not you suggest a problem without ever pointing out what it is - and it's crouched in language that is not only nebulous, it borders on scaremongering. In your efforts to avoid taking responsibility for anything, you create a situation which often escalates the anxiety of the poster.

Okay - I've said enough. I'm going to put you on ignore... because, quite frankly, it's painful to watch you deliberately disserve those members who are already anxious when they arrive here.

Ian
Old Sep 9th 2017, 1:25 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi:

I have become aware that the appearance of my signature line has become quite intermittent. I am an attorney and I am responsible for any legal advice I may give. And it does not take all that much to create at least the appearance of an attorney client relationship. Hence the disclaimer in my signature line. Any lay person will not be liable for any advice given, good, bad or indifferent. Not true for me.

My good friend J Craig Fong would use the phrase "janitorial work" to attempt to clean up messes that could have been avoided. I have no objection per se to DIY, but some situations are not in reasonable DIY-land.

Well then why dont you create a new account with a generic username so nobody knows who you are then you can actually give proper advice and not be scared silly of being liable for nothing.

Because right now your posts are pointless, just wasting everyones time.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 2:31 am
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by az2014
Well then why dont you create a new account with a generic username so nobody knows who you are then you can actually give proper advice and not be scared silly of being liable for nothing.

Because right now your posts are pointless, just wasting everyones time.
Hi:

Who is this post directed to? The format suggests you are responding to me. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it was inadvertent.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 2:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi:

Who is this post directed to? The format suggests you are responding to me. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it was inadvertent.
He's quoted you, so it must be in response to your posts.

Just FYI, signatures don't show up on mobiles btw, so only those on a desktop computer or similar will see yours. It's a pain, and I've no idea why, but given how many access BE on mobiles or tablets these days, it's best to assume that most won't see your signature.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 3:33 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi:

You're funny, you assume wrong.

And as just mentioned you have no signature anyway.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 3:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Just FYI, signatures don't show up on mobiles btw, so only those on a desktop computer or similar will see yours. It's a pain, and I've no idea why, but given how many access BE on mobiles or tablets these days, it's best to assume that most won't see your signature.
I can sigs on my iPad and iPhone. I don't use the mobile view.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 5:02 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by az2014
You're funny, you assume wrong.

And as just mentioned you have no signature anyway.
Fair enough. I would recommend the appropriate emoticolon when you are joking.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 5:07 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

It now shows up on the Nexus 10 I am using. As I noted, for a while it was not showing up. Why I have no idea.

That said, the post purportedly addressed to me is so asinine I figured it was either a joke or inadvertent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.