Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Got a US greencard. What about just going back and forth between Canada and the US ev

Got a US greencard. What about just going back and forth between Canada and the US ev

Old Aug 20th 2016, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

playitagain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Got a US greencard. What about just going back and forth between Canada and the US ev

I got a US greencard but have not moved to the US yet.

Since I currently live in Canada near the US border, can I just go back and forth to the US every 2~3 months in order to keep my green card for now?

Is there a chance that my greencard could be taken away by the US border agents if I just go back and forth for now?

Also, I would be crossing the border with a canadian registered car and a canadian driving license. Is this an issue?

Thanks in advance for your input
Old Aug 20th 2016, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

deadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got a US greencard. What about just going back and forth between Canada and the U

you're going to raise questions. The greencard is for "permanent residents". People that intend to to permanently reside in the US.

The authorities are going to take a dim view and would be within their rights to stop you coming in if they think (rightly) that you aren't living in the US and are up to something.
Old Aug 20th 2016, 10:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got a US greencard. What about just going back and forth between Canada and the U

The green card is for a subset of non-citizens who live in the US. You don't and what you are proposing is in no way a substitute for living in the US.

Sooner or later you will be referred to the immigration court, and per your current living arrangements you have absolutely no evidence to offer that you are actually living in the US, because you aren't, and you will lose your green card.
Old Aug 20th 2016, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by playitagain
Do you actually have the card, or do you have an immigrant visa? If you actually have the card, then you are a US permanent resident and you are expected to reside permanently in the US. That's how it works!

Since I currently live in Canada near the US border, can I just go back and forth to the US every 2~3 months in order to keep my green card for now?
What is your status in Canada?

I'll remind you of something you wrote over 2 years ago when your friend got a green card: http://britishexpats.com/forum/us-im.../#post11245819. You said it would be a no-brainer... but now it seems to be a brainer!

At any rate, it is a myth that you can return to the US every now and again and maintain your status as a PR. You can't visit the place where you are actually supposed to be living... if you see what I mean!

Is there a chance that my greencard could be taken away by the US border agents if I just go back and forth for now?
It's not likely, no... but only because they don't have the authority to do that! You can, however, be detained if the CBP officer believes you have abandoned your status.

Also, I would be crossing the border with a canadian registered car and a canadian driving license. Is this an issue?
I'm going to guess you mean a "Provincial registered car" and a "Provincial driving license"... because there's no such thing as a Canadian one! At any rate, this likely won't be an issue for US immigration... but it might be with the local US police force!

Make a decision... and then live with it. That's what mature and responsible people do!

Ian
Old Aug 20th 2016, 10:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

How did you manage to get your green card in hand without moving to the USA yet? One is not able to obtain a green card from outside the USA. One must physically be in the USA to get a green card, and once one does, they have "moved to the USA" because they would then be a US Permanent Resident.

Rene
Old Aug 21st 2016, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a green card and don't actually LIVE in the US, how on earth are you filing your taxes????

You ARE filing your taxes, right?
Old Aug 21st 2016, 3:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'll remind you of something you wrote over 2 years ago when your friend got a green card: http://britishexpats.com/forum/us-im.../#post11245819. You said it would be a no-brainer... but now it seems to be a brainer!
Oh yeah, my friend has now moved to the US.

My situation is a little different as it is taking me longer to figure things out

Thanks for your input!
Old Aug 21st 2016, 3:51 am
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your input!
You say thanks but give 0 answers to the questions asked
Old Aug 21st 2016, 3:53 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

My situation is a little different as it is taking me longer to figure things out
If you're not going to answer the questions that people have asked, then why are you even here? If you want good information, you have to give good information... otherwise, you're just a waste of time.

Ian
Old Aug 21st 2016, 11:24 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

You can go back and forth, but that doesn't mean you can keep the green card. Making an appearance doesn't prevent them from placing you in removal proceedings for abandonment.

At their discretion, they can take the card to send it to the immigration court and issue a temporary card that is not valid for admission. You'd likely be paroled into the US each time while in removal proceedings. There is a chance you could be offered the opportunity to formally abandon LPR status instead of being placed into removal proceedings. If you are served a Notice to Appear, and do not show up, the immigration judge can order you removed in absentia. That would prevent entry to the US for 5 years.

LPR status has benefits, but also has responsibilities. One of them is that you're required to reside in the US. Each trip you make foreign must be for a temporary purpose followed by your return to your US residence. Dipping your toe into the US every few months is not the same as residing in the US.

How long have you been an LPR?

Does the rest of your immediate family (spouse, children) have LPR status as well?

Last edited by crg; Aug 21st 2016 at 11:29 am.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 11:47 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
You want to be there and not be there at the same time ? Schrodinger's Immigrant? ....
Being a permanent resident can certainly be a superimposition.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

OP seems to want to cherry-pick responses and ignore the ones he doesn't like!

Doesn't make his situation any more acceptable though.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

deadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
OP seems to want to cherry-pick responses and ignore the ones he doesn't like!

Doesn't make his situation any more acceptable though.
OP is also asking the same question on reddit, where maybe..just maybe the answers will be more palatable the truth here.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Do you actually have the card, or do you have an immigrant visa? If you actually have the card, then you are a US permanent resident and you are expected to reside permanently in the US. That's how it works!
I am a US green card holder.

What is your status in Canada?
Permanent Resident in Canada.

At any rate, it is a myth that you can return to the US every now and again and maintain your status as a PR. You can't visit the place where you are actually supposed to be living... if you see what I mean!

It's not likely, no... but only because they don't have the authority to do that! You can, however, be detained if the CBP officer believes you have abandoned your status.

I'm going to guess you mean a "Provincial registered car" and a "Provincial driving license"... because there's no such thing as a Canadian one!
To make things simpler, I said canadian, but in reality the car is registered in the province of Ontario. Same for the driving license.

At any rate, this likely won't be an issue for US immigration... but it might be with the local US police force!

Make a decision... and then live with it. That's what mature and responsible people do!

Ian
Old Aug 21st 2016, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
How did you manage to get your green card in hand without moving to the USA yet? One is not able to obtain a green card from outside the USA.
Not quite right. Ever heard of the green card lottery?

Thanks for your input.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.