Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Going through US Citizenship - Can I keep my British Passport??

Going through US Citizenship - Can I keep my British Passport??

Old Jul 24th 2007, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Allaboutharry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Going through US Citizenship - Can I keep my British Passport??

Thanks! I just read the fee is going to double from $330 to $695 next Monday, so now I'm going to get on this TODAY and get my form in before the fee increase!
Old Aug 31st 2007, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

rjbhutton is just really nicerjbhutton is just really nicerjbhutton is just really nicerjbhutton is just really nicerjbhutton is just really nicerjbhutton is just really nicerjbhutton is just really nicerjbhutton is just really nice

I just posted a new thread and then found this one... my apologies... however, I am not 100% sure that Neferititi's original question was answered.

With my interview appointment letter from USCIS there is another letter that is says "Interview Document Checklist". It very clearly states bring "All (underlined) passports and travel documents (including expired and current) issued to you by your government."

So far a couple of responders have stated that they threw their passports (or not) into a trash bin. But not everyone has said this... and it is not clear that there will be a trash bin in Cincinnati where I am having my interview...

Is the trashing of old passports clearly optional? Is someone watching? Is it better to to not even bring your passport? Is it better to bring it but not throw it in the trash bin? What if someone asks for it?

I would much rather keep all my passports (current and expired). Can anyone categorically state that handing over my passport is definitely not going to be required, despite the fact that my letter says bring it?

(as you can tell, I still have a little angst about the whole process... in most part because I want to keep my old passport with all the stamps in it from my travels and also because I hope to travel back to the UK for Xmas, and my interview is Nov 5.)

cheers

Rob
Old Aug 31st 2007, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Nefertiti is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Going through US Citizenship - Can I keep my British Passport??

Hi,

Answer to the above question. I actually had my interview on July 24th of this year, and everything went well.

The officer who interviews you, just makes a copy of your british passport. They do not take it from you. You are then given a form which states that you passed the interview and the test. You are then given a date for your ceremony.

Nefertiti
Old Aug 31st 2007, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

rjbhutton is just really nicerjbhutton is just really nicerjbhutton is just really nicerjbhutton is just really nicerjbhutton is just really nicerjbhutton is just really nicerjbhutton is just really nicerjbhutton is just really nice

Bootiful!!

cheers, and congrats!! Did you swear in yet? where did you do all this? (I'm in SW Ohio, so Cincinnati is where I do all the swearing!!)
Old Aug 31st 2007, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Nefertiti is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Going through US Citizenship - Can I keep my British Passport??

I am currently in Portland, OR. I did all my stuff here. Though I am looking to move to CA.

Nefertiti
Old Aug 31st 2007, 10:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nefertiti
I am currently in Portland, OR. I did all my stuff here.
Congrats, fellow POO person!
Old Aug 31st 2007, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rjbhutton
What if someone asks for it?
As I said in another thread, the US government does *not* have the authority to keep your UK passport - it is the property of the UK government. No one will ask to keep it.

Ian
Old Sep 1st 2007, 1:41 am
a2rjh

On Jul 9, 4:54 pm, Nefertiti <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Hi there fellow Brits!
>
> I have found much discussion on people going through US Naturalization
> process and being worried about having to forfeit their british
> passport. I too am going through this process. I have my interview and
> civics test on July 24th 2007. But as many Brits before me I have a few
> concerns, especially giving up my british passport. Now as far as I have
> researched on web sites such as findlaw.com and and the official
> Britain/USA embassy web site, that dual citizenship is allowed.
>
> I would love to hear from fellow brits who have gone through the process
> and are dual nationals and hear their experiences and what they went
> through to obtain dual nationality.
>
> When I visited my local USCIS office, the immigrations officer told me
> that I do not have to give my passport because the country which I was
> born still recognizes me as a british national. Also that when I leave
> the country I have to travel with both passports. The US passport to
> leave the country and enter back. And the british one to enter and
> leave the UK.
>
> Please help! I would love to hear some other experiences and advice!
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Posted viahttp://britishexpats.com

you are worrying too much. if i may add, your UK passport is UK/
British govt. property.
as US passport is US govt. property (you are the bearer only).