Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Girlfriends mom sponsoring me for student visa.

Girlfriends mom sponsoring me for student visa.

Old Sep 24th 2016, 1:27 am
Just Joined

Cluelessvisa is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Girlfriends mom sponsoring me for student visa.

So I'm applying for a student visa to study in the USA and my girlfriends mother has offered to sponsor me and cover the costs of my living expenses as i'll be staying with my Girlfriend which she is fully dependent on her mother so she's really not putting anymore more money forward than already is.

Would this work and could I get a F1 visa if she was to sponsor me?
Old Sep 24th 2016, 1:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Girlfriends mom sponsoring me for student visa.

You have to show you can cover the cost of tuition and living expenses for the visa, either through cash savings, available credit, or someone willing to cover your costs.

Not a great way to be a student, under someone else's mums thumb though but good luck.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 1:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
You have to show you can cover the cost of tuition and living expenses for the visa, either through cash savings, available credit, or someone willing to cover your costs.

Not a great way to be a student, under someone else's mums thumb though but good luck.
I know, Its the only way possible for me right now though
Old Sep 24th 2016, 1:56 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cluelessvisa
I know, Its the only way possible for me right now though
What happens if you break up after one semester? End of your education?
Old Sep 24th 2016, 1:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
What happens if you break up after one semester? End of your education?
If that where to happen i guess id have no choice but to quit and move back home, we have been together for 3 years and Ive been in the us for the most part of 2 years under the VWP
Old Sep 24th 2016, 2:03 am
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Reminds me of:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/us-im...advice-882943/
Old Sep 24th 2016, 2:10 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cluelessvisa
If that where to happen i guess id have no choice but to quit and move back home, we have been together for 3 years and Ive been in the us for the most part of 2 years under the VWP
How did you manage that? The VWP permits 90 day visits.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 2:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
How did you manage that? The VWP permits 90 day visits.
I would only stay for the 90 days and leave for a while, although just staying did tempt me quite a bit but going the unlawful route just wasn't for me.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 2:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Let us know how it goes.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 2:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Let us know how it goes.
I will.

Does anyone have any information and likely hood of being excepted or denied?
Don't hold your tongue the hard truth is all i need.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 2:59 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

There is just no way of knowing. I assume you have everything else you need? Acceptance to the educational institution, approved I-20, etc? Your only concern is showing that a USC will be supporting you? Are you yourself paying the tuition?

Just note that if the F-1 gets denied and you want to visit the USA after that, you'll need to redo ESTA and declare the visa denial, which can lead to ESTA denial for 6 to 12 months.

Rene
Old Sep 24th 2016, 3:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
There is just no way of knowing. I assume you have everything else you need? Acceptance to the educational institution, approved I-20, etc? Your only concern is showing that a USC will be supporting you? Are you yourself paying the tuition?

Just note that if the F-1 gets denied and you want to visit the USA after that, you'll need to redo ESTA and declare the visa denial, which can lead to ESTA denial for 6 to 12 months.

Rene
I have acceptance to the institution currently completing my I-20 and once that is completed I will apply for my f1 visa interview.

Thank you for your help and yes I have a job as of right now which I am hoping to have around 4-6 thousand USD before entering the US to pay for classes although my Girlfriends mother is willing to pay for my classes and everything I would much rather be as independent as I can.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

$4-6k will not go very far, even if her mother IS meeting the bills!

This whole thing sounds wrong to me, but it's up to you. I envisage a "How do I get out of this situation?" thread in your future!
Old Sep 24th 2016, 4:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Guindalf
$4-6k will not go very far, even if her mother IS meeting the bills!

This whole thing sounds wrong to me, but it's up to you. I envisage a "How do I get out of this situation?" thread in your future!
Its around 2k for classes and books each semester, may I ask what do you think will go wrong and how may I tackle these problems?
Old Sep 24th 2016, 8:06 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Many things could go wrong. You could break up with your girlfriend, her mother's generosity could end (either voluntarily or involuntarily). The daughter could have a fall-out with the mother and the mother decide she no longer wants to support two kids playing house. Plus it sounds like you've picked the establishment and course that suits your living arrangements best, not the one that suits your career path and academic achievements best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.