Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Getting a Visa after undergraduate degree in the US?

Getting a Visa after undergraduate degree in the US?

Old Sep 2nd 2015, 12:44 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a Visa after undergraduate degree in the US?

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Plenty of UK universities offer a study abroad element. My half brother just completed a year at Johns Hopkins as part of his UCL Biochemistry degree. I'm sure it will stand him in good stead should he wish to return for either post-grad work or research. In any case, it gives you a taste of what life is like here without having to get a visa and job. .....
Er, if you are studying in the US, you need a visa.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 1:07 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Er, if you are studying in the US, you need a visa.
nit picky....you know what I mean.

on these exchanges it's all done for you. simples.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 1:40 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

nit picky....you know what I mean. .....
Only vaguely.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

nit picky...
No, accurate!

... you know what I mean.
Perhaps, but some newbie might not... and that's where your comment falls to pieces.

... on these exchanges it's all done for you.
They may handle the majority of the paperwork, but the individual must still apply for a visa - even if it's only putting a signature on the form!

Ian
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 4:42 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of UK universities offer a study abroad element. My half brother just completed a year at Johns Hopkins as part of his UCL Biochemistry degree. I'm sure it will stand him in good stead should he wish to return for either post-grad work or research. In any case, it gives you a taste of what life is like here without having to get a visa and job.

What do you want to study? I almost did a degree in American Literature only because I would get a year in Berkeley........
I stand corrected.

However, if anyone were to read my post in it's entirety and not simply the few words that have been picked out, I think it's pretty clear. You would not get very far in the process of applying for the study abroad programmes without it being made clear that you would need to get the correct visa for this.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 4:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I stand corrected.

However, if anyone were to read my post in it's entirety and not simply the few words that have been picked out, I think it's pretty clear. You would not get very far in the process of applying for the study abroad programmes without it being made clear that you would need to get the correct visa for this.
As clear as mud to me...sorry.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 5:01 pm

I stand corrected.

I don't see how a casual reader would understand that "You would not get very far in the process of applying for the study abroad programmes without ..... the correct visa ..... " from what you said previously which included the categorical phrase "..... it gives you a taste of what life is like here [in the US] without having to get a visa ....."

Ironically you could have ended your post #15, after the word "here" and communicated everything you were trying to get across without risking confusing or misleading anyone.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 2nd 2015 at 5:04 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

lego12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't see how a casual reader would understand that "You would not get very far in the process of applying for the study abroad programmes without ..... the correct visa ..... " from what you said previously which included the categorical phrase "..... it gives you a taste of what life is like here [in the US] without having to get a visa ....."

Ironically you could have ended your post #15, after the word "here" and communicated everything you were trying to get across without risking confusing or misleading anyone.
My plan is to major in computer science and then I will be entitled to 1 year of placement work (I think that's what it's called) after I graduate. Hopefully the company I work with will then be willing to sponsor me for a visa afterwards.

Think this is a good plan?
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by lego12
My plan is to major in computer science and then I will be entitled to 1 year of placement work (I think that's what it's called) after I graduate. Hopefully the company I work with will then be willing to sponsor me for a visa afterwards.

Well it certainly could work, and more than just a theoretical chance, but there is no way to predict if it actually will work.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 11:06 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a good Plan A. Make sure you have a Plan B.

1 year of work after graduation is called OPT (Optional Practical Training)

Rene
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 1:28 am
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by lego12

which college are you thinking about going to? My eldest has just started comp sci/math double major and we did a fair amount of work
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 4:48 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

It is a plan. I kinda feel like computer science is rather generic though. You'll need to network like crazy and demonstrate your skills with actual results you can take to interviews. Timing can be a problem. OPT buys you a year, but if you hope for a H1B, (for not not-for-profits) they are applied for in early April with a start date of following October. Miss the timing, you can be out on your ear.

In my case, I did undergrad in the UK (before student loans, so at no effective cost to me). Grad school in the US (paid by them), then a combination of OPT, F1 postdoc, and not-for-profit H1B to bridge the time gap to getting into the next job. You might consider something similar, perhaps stopping at a Masters if you don't want to get pigeon holed too much.