GC lottery!

Old Oct 21st 2005, 7:44 pm
Banned

marasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: GC lottery!

I know 1 family and 2 individuals who separately came to the US via the lottery. Its real.

===================
Originally Posted by Ray
At least one person in this thread did .....
Old Oct 21st 2005, 8:07 pm
THE Member

Seanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Matthew Udall
I don't see him discussing naturalization eligibility timelines anywhere in his reply, but maybe I just missed it. Can you elaborate, or show us how you reached this conclusion from his reply?

You see where I wrote: "for example..." hence the use of naturalization as an example to better understand the process and what happens after you have the GC! And no he didn't mention Naturalization, but I chose too.

Last edited by Seanus; Oct 21st 2005 at 8:14 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 8:16 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seanus
You see where I wrote: "for example..." hence the use of naturalization as an example to better understand the process!

I apprecaite the free legal advice from the lawyers on this site, but sometimes you guys over-analyze a simple sentence that a person makes,
maybe it is just a bit easier for people not in the legal profession to understand something if it is put in the form of an example. That was my only reason for mentioning naturalization.
[but then for example when it comes time to naturalize, a person would still be able to do that in 3 yrs after receiving LPR status based on marriage to a USC, even though they adjusted through winning the GC lottery. At least that is the point I think you were trying to make]

Yes, I see the use of “for example”, but I’m not sure if your example is accurate. I’m posting from a remote location today (in Utah, away from my office) so I don’t have my Naturalization guidebook at my fingertips, but I believe they have a handy chart in that publication that shows how long one must be an LPR (before becoming eligible for naturalization) based on the various ways one can become an LPR.

You might be right (again, I haven’t looked it up to confirm) but my initial thought was that the naturalization eligibility period might be different for someone who obtains LPR status via the lottery vs. one who obtains it through marriage to a U.S. citizen.

No offense intended.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 8:23 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Valid point, that did occur to me and I'm sure that has happened many times in the past. I guess a person has to ask themselves if it is the morally correct thing to do by still entering the GC lottery even though you are or might qualify as an LPR through marriage.
But then if you are opening up questions of morality, is it right to marry just because this is the easiest way the law will allow you to live together in the US? If you were lucky enough to get, for example, a GC through the lottery, you would more easily be able to wait to see if you were both ready rather than being pressurized into making a marriage commitment.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 8:43 pm
Banned

marasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the rough

Why do you assume one is 'lucky' to marry a USC? Some USCs are worser than the devil himself. If marrying is looked at as a path to getting a greencard, it would be last on the list of 'best ways to get a greencard'. Lottery would be number one on such a list.

==================================

...If you do win, however, you'll be taking away a chance for a green card from someone else who has not been lucky enough to marry a USC.

- Eric S.[/QUOTE]
Old Oct 21st 2005, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marasmus
Why do you assume one is 'lucky' to marry a USC? Some USCs are worser than the devil himself. If marrying is looked at as a path to getting a greencard, it would be last on the list of 'best ways to get a greencard'. Lottery would be number one on such a list.

==================================

...If you do win, however, you'll be taking away a chance for a green card from someone else who has not been lucky enough to marry a USC.

- Eric S.
[/QUOTE]

Lucky or not, the OP already has a way to get a green card -- via marriage to a USC. So why not leave the lottery to people who don't have any other way to gain a green card?

- Eric S.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 9:12 pm
Banned

reasons:
-the marriage can fail, this is a good back up;
-if the goal is for ONE to come to US, why think about other people?

Do you honestly think that group thinking works at all in today's world? Everyone should look out for their lives and the future of their kids, after all everyone is responsible for their own lives+futures, not for those of others'.

=======================

Lucky or not, the OP already has a way to get a green card -- via marriage to a USC. So why not leave the lottery to people who don't have any other way to gain a green card?

- Eric S.[/QUOTE]
Old Oct 21st 2005, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

bantik2005 has a spectacular aura aboutbantik2005 has a spectacular aura aboutbantik2005 has a spectacular aura about

And I suppose that USC spouse has to be included in the lottery application, right?
Old Oct 21st 2005, 10:20 pm
THE Member

Seanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fatbrit
But then if you are opening up questions of morality, is it right to marry just because this is the easiest way the law will allow you to live together in the US?
I'm assuming that was just a general comment you were making, and I see your point - Be it as it may, there are plenty of people who do just that. That's their choice, their life, their problem if they get caught out.

Originally Posted by fatbrit
If you were lucky enough to get, for example, a GC through the lottery, you would more easily be able to wait to see if you were both ready rather than being pressurized into making a marriage commitment.
I agree, and once again that is a decission that rests solely on the person in that position. Ultimately, who wants to enter into a marriage feeling pressured?
Old Oct 21st 2005, 10:34 pm
THE Member

Originally Posted by Eric S

- Eric S.
I don't want you to misunderstand my intentions for posting this thread. It is not my intentions to enter the GC lottery, I do think it would be unfair to someone else If a person did enter while already pending adjustment of status, and then won.

Whether I live in the U.S or tim-buck-two is irrelevent to me, I just want to marry the woman I am in love with who happens to be a USC, and spend my life with her, which in turn happens to be in the US. So, along with that comes AOS and eventually a GC that you are required to get.

I'm marrying for love, not a GC!
Old Oct 21st 2005, 11:29 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I'm assuming that was just a general comment you were making,
Yep nothing personal whatsoever. Just pointing out (as you obviously got my drift) that other posters opening up the question of morality and immigration would lead to a very wide number of issues.