GC lottery!

Old Oct 21st 2005, 4:17 pm
THE Member

Seanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud of
Default GC lottery!

Just curious to know people's opinions of enetering the GC lottery, when you know that you will be OR are currently eligible for LPR status through marriage to a USC anyway?

Say you win the GC lottery and are in the process of adjusting status due to marriage to a USC, would the GC lottery possibly speed up your AOS process, and even eliminate the two-year conditional GC?

Are you even eligible to qualify for the GC lottery as a winner if you already have an AOS application pending?

~S~
Old Oct 21st 2005, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

lfaridi has a spectacular aura aboutlfaridi has a spectacular aura aboutlfaridi has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: GC lottery!

Originally Posted by Seanus
Just curious to know people's opinions of enetering the GC lottery, when you know that you will be OR are currently eligible for LPR status through marriage to a USC anyway?

Say you win the GC lottery and are in the process of adjusting status due to marriage to a USC, would the GC lottery possibly speed up your AOS process, and even eliminate the two-year conditional GC?

Are you even eligible to qualify for the GC lottery as a winner if you already have an AOS application pending?

~S~
the GC lottery is only for people outside of the US. a person who has applied for a visa outside the US may also apply for the GC lottery. applying for the lottery will not speed up the AOS process.

linda
Old Oct 21st 2005, 5:27 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lfaridi
the GC lottery is only for people outside of the US.
I beg to disagree! Vehemently!
Old Oct 21st 2005, 5:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I beg to disagree! Vehemently!
I also disagree. You CAN be inside the USA and still apply for GC lottery.

Rene
Old Oct 21st 2005, 5:52 pm
THE Member

Seanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lfaridi
the GC lottery is only for people outside of the US.
linda
ERRR....If you don't know what you talking about then rather don't post please.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 6:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

ERRR....If you don't know what you talking about then rather don't post please.
Don't be a dweeb. She thought she was helping... it turned out she was wrong. Get over it! Geez, if I only posted when I knew what I was talking about, well... this forum would be a lot more quiet!

Ian
Old Oct 21st 2005, 6:10 pm
THE Member

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Don't be a dweeb. She thought she was helping... it turned out she was wrong. Get over it! Geez, if I only posted when I knew what I was talking about, well... this forum would be a lot more quiet!

Ian

LOL, that would be a God-send
Old Oct 21st 2005, 6:17 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

~S~
Hi:

It is possible to convert a case from marriage based to any other category. It would eliminate the conditional period. Upshot, even when applying on basis other than the marriage, you would remain an "immediate relative" for other purposes on the adjustment
Old Oct 21st 2005, 6:27 pm
THE Member

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

It is possible to convert a case from marriage based to any other category. It would eliminate the conditional period. Upshot, even when applying on basis other than the marriage, you would remain an "immediate relative" for other purposes on the adjustment
Thanks Mr F.
Right...So a person can win the GC lottery, and have their AOS completed sooner through that, over waiting for marriage based AOS to be completed...
but then for example when it comes time to naturalize, a person would still be able to do that in 3 yrs after receiving LPR status based on marriage to a USC, even though they adjusted through winning the GC lottery. At least that is the point I think you were trying to make.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

~S~
If you're going to get LPR status via marriage anyway, then winning the lottery may only get you there a little faster. If you do win, however, you'll be taking away a chance for a green card from someone else who has not been lucky enough to marry a USC.

- Eric S.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 6:37 pm
THE Member

Originally Posted by Eric S
If you do win, however, you'll be taking away a chance for a green card from someone else who has not been lucky enough to marry a USC.

- Eric S.

Valid point, that did occur to me and I'm sure that has happened many times in the past. I guess a person has to ask themselves if it is the morally correct thing to do by still entering the GC lottery even though you are or might qualify as an LPR through marriage.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

jeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud of

Does anyone actually ever win the Green Card lottery anyway?
Old Oct 21st 2005, 7:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeninifer
Yes! A friend of mine who was seeking asylum in the USA, was already in the USA and had filed for asylum. He also applied each year for the GC lottery. He finally received an interview for his asylum case. About 2 weeks later, he received notification that he won the GC lottery! I'm not sure which one he followed through on, though.

Rene
Old Oct 21st 2005, 7:37 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeninifer
At least one person in this thread did .....
Old Oct 21st 2005, 7:43 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Mr F.
Right...So a person can win the GC lottery, and have their AOS completed sooner through that, over waiting for marriage based AOS to be completed...
Where did he say it would be completed sooner? He mentioned that someone would not get conditional permanent resident status, but I don't see where he said the AOS adjudication (assuming someone adjusts in the U.S. as a person selected in the lottery) would be faster.

but then for example when it comes time to naturalize, a person would still be able to do that in 3 yrs after receiving LPR status based on marriage to a USC, even though they adjusted through winning the GC lottery. At least that is the point I think you were trying to make.
I don't see him discussing naturalization eligibility timelines anywhere in his reply, but maybe I just missed it. Can you elaborate, or show us how you reached this conclusion from his reply?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.