GC arrived today

Old Jan 24th 2001, 7:17 pm
sine nomine

Betastar wrote:

: If Reinhard becomes a US Citizen, he has to give up his Austrian citizenship, and then
: we can't live there so easily.

s/reinhard/chris
t/austrian/australian

: But sometimes I get tired of everyone just assuming that US Citizenship is a goal in
: this process. I actually find it quite arrogant.

: Betastar happy to be a US Citizen, unhappy with the "Ugly American" attitudes she
: encounters at times.

what she said.

--
sine | deb many times over

Old Jan 24th 2001, 8:16 pm
Michael Voight

Betastar wrote:
>
> In article <[email protected]>,

> > The only thing I'd add is that the 1996 immigration laws should make everyone who
> > hasn't considered obtaining US citizenship before, consider it now. The rights of
> > green card holders have been severely eroded by this law (although the US Supreme
> > Court has recently agreed to take a look at some aspects that removed judge's
> > discretion to see if that's constitutional).
>
> This is a point, but there are many people who would like to live in both
> countries-of-origin of both spouses at various times in their lives

Right, but if you are not a citizen, it becomes a problem to be away for a long time
period (over a year).

Additionally, there are people that live in the US that want to take a role in government,
even if it is just to vote.

Michael

Old Jan 24th 2001, 8:19 pm
Michael Voight

Grinch wrote:
>

>
> > It is also important to many people without considering the impact on whether or not
> > other relatives can enter the country. Becoming a US citizen is something millions of
> > immigrants have looked forward to
> even
> > if they have no relatives wanting to come here.
> >
> > Michael
>
> Every time this issue has been discussed you have used the petition for other relatives
> aspect. Please tell me what other benefits I may enjoy as a US Citizen that I can not
> get as a Perm Resident. Please do not say vote as I was here for your last election.

I didn't see any problem in the last election. My candidate for president failed to get
the elextoral votes needed to win. So, what... There are a lot more government things that
affect me that don't depend on who the president it. You might have missed this, but the
president doesn't make laws.

You also know that a permanent resident can NOT have an extended absence away from the US

Michael

Old Jan 24th 2001, 8:31 pm
Ellen

I'm not sure if that's their motivation but Sweden will likely allow dual citizenship
starting in the summer of 2001. I can guarantee you my husband would never consider
becoming a citizen if he couldn't maintain his Swedish citizenship. And while I would love
to be free and clear of the INS for the rest of our lives and free to live here, there, or
the next place (taking advantage of the EU agreements), I would never even suggest it if
it meant he had to sacrifice his Swedish citizenship.

Even assuming the law is passed and Sweden allows for dual citizenship, I don't think he
sees enough benefits at this point. Maybe after living here for several years, maybe if he
wanted a government job.

My husband is like Betastar's. Until he met me, he didn't even want to vacation in the US,
let alone live here. That he finds he is happy here and is beginning to think of it as
home, knocks my socks off. It doesn't matter to me if he's a happy GC holder for the rest
of his life or a happy US citizen, just that he's happy.

Ellen

In article <[email protected]>,

> I know - and in fact some countries are considering changing
their
> dual-nationality laws partly because of the new US immigration
laws making
> it so hard for their citizens who are long-time GC holders not to
take US
> citizenship.
>
> Andy.
>
> --
> I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

> > In article <[email protected]>,

> > > The only thing I'd add is that the 1996 immigration laws
should make
> > > everyone who hasn't considered obtaining US citizenship
before,
> > > consider it now. The rights of green card holders have been
severely
> > > eroded by this law (although the US Supreme Court has
recently agreed
> > > to take a look at some aspects that removed judge's
discretion to see
> > > if that's constitutional).
> >
> >
> > This is a point, but there are many people who would like to
live in
> > both countries-of-origin of both spouses at various times in
their lives.
> >
> > If Reinhard becomes a US Citizen, he has to give up his
Austrian
> > citizenship, and then we can't live there so easily.
> >
> > No matter what one does, the INS has got us by the
short-and-curlies.
> >
> > But sometimes I get tired of everyone just assuming that US
Citizenship
> > is a goal in this process. I actually find it quite arrogant.
> >
> > Betastar happy to be a US Citizen, unhappy with the "Ugly American" attitudes she
> > encounters at
times.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >

Old Jan 24th 2001, 9:39 pm
Onigiri

Please tell me what other benefits I may enjoy
> as a US Citizen that I can not get as a Perm Resident. Please do not say vote as I was
> here for your last election.
Since it is always easy to give the shaft to the non-voting legal PR taxpayers of our
country, a few years ago we raised the possibility that we should stop paying welfare
benefits to such people. It made a nice political echo in the by election and in
certain constituencies. What (most of the voting) people did not realize was that it
only mattered to those PRs who came before the inception of I-864 affidavit. The
newly sworn in secretary of H&HS, Mr. Thompson of Wisconsin is considering bringing
the discussion back into the news and into some sort of legislation that could be
signed into law. Aside from this, the only time a PR vs. Citizen difference happens
is when the PR croaks and happens to leave behind an estate. The taxation is
different for the USC than it is for a PR. (One of the promises that W made before
the election was to reduce the taxation on dead USC's still further). For all the
accrued taxes they pay over a lifetime, when the chips are down (they still use dried
out chips from the dung of cattle for cremations in certain parts) the "alien" part
of the status is emphasised and much of the loot is taken away by the US Treasury. PR
aliens usually think about such weighty stuff after they settle down and after they
create those mutants (0.5 grinch 0.5 blind- USC ?) who grow up and imagine that no
matter how bright they are, there will be CISCO options for them or the parents would
have worked hard and saved money to leave behind.

Old Jan 24th 2001, 10:52 pm
alenac

>
>
> Great news. But why 2011?? Do you have no plans to apply for naturalization in 2 years
> and 9 months?
>
> Michael

Not really. I cannot say that I will never apply for US citizenship, but there is no rush.
I definitely want to wait until we have children so that they can have dual citizenship
(which I don't think I can have). I don't particularly care to vote given the choices, I
am not planning to take government job and it's extremely unlikely that I will ever need
(or otherwise qualify for) any kind of public assistance. But truth to be told, I have not
looked into the dual citizenship rules at home (Czech Republic). If I can have dual
citizenship, I'll probably do it before my current GC expires. The only compelling reason
is that it would make it easier for us to live in Prague for a while at some point.

Alena

Old Jan 24th 2001, 10:56 pm
alenac

The primary reason(s) to become a citizen I see are:
>
> 1 - they can't kick you out, ever, whatever you do 2 - you too, can cast a vote which
> doesn't count 3 - many low paying, indescript, government jobs require it 4 - you can
> invite your relatives to pay 40% of their income in taxes
too
>
> Paulgani
>
Thanks for summing it up. None of my relatives wants to spend more than a couple
weeks here, unfortunately. So the only benefit I care about (which you don't list) is
that we could live in Europe for a couple of years and then come back to the States
with no hassle.

Alena

Old Jan 25th 2001, 12:43 am
paulgani

Well, that benefit fits in my #1, sort of.

However, Onigiri brought up an interesting one that I had read about a very long time ago,
but forgot until he mentioned it: the Estate tax

http://squid.law.cornell.edu/cgi-bin...=20&SECTION=20
56A-1&TYPE=TEXT

"the federal estate tax marital deduction is not allowed for property passing to or for
the benefit of a surviving spouse who is not a United States citizen at the date of the
decedent's death (whether or not the surviving spouse is a resident of the United States)"

Normally, if your spouse dies, you can inherit an unlimited amount without any tax.
However, it appears that if you are not a citizen when your spouse dies, the estate will
be subject to the Estate tax, which *I believe* starts at 37% and goes up to 55%.

For some odd reason I remember that PR's were given a $100,000 exemption but I cannot find
that in the actual tax code...

Paulgani

>
> > The primary reason(s) to become a citizen I see are:
> >
> > 1 - they can't kick you out, ever, whatever you do 2 - you too, can cast a vote which
> > doesn't count 3 - many low paying, indescript, government jobs require it 4 - you can
> > invite your relatives to pay 40% of their income in taxes
> too
> >
> > Paulgani
> >
> Thanks for summing it up. None of my relatives wants to spend more than a couple
> weeks here, unfortunately. So the only benefit I care about (which you don't list) is
> that we could live in Europe for a couple of years and then come back to the States
> with no hassle.
>
> Alena

Old Jan 25th 2001, 1:08 am
paulgani

Here's a simpler link:

http://www.taxprophet.com/foreign/est_ft.html

Paulgani

> However, Onigiri brought up an interesting one that I had read about a
very
> long time ago, but forgot until he mentioned it: the Estate tax
>
>
> 56A-1&TYPE=TEXT

Old Jan 25th 2001, 1:29 am
Rita

Normally, if your spouse dies, you can inherit an unlimited amount without
> any tax. However, it appears that if you are not a citizen when your
spouse
> dies, the estate will be subject to the Estate tax,

Are you 100% sure of this fact. I recall when Bill died, you were allowed something like
$109,000 tax free under NYS law and I forgot the amount under federal law. But there was
indeed a limit. Anything over those amounts were taxable under the estate tax.

Insurance proceeds were tax free.

Rita

Old Jan 25th 2001, 5:12 am
paulgani

I'm not 100% sure about anything regarding estate taxes. However, under Federal law, I'm
pretty sure estates left to spouses are tax free, however, estates left to children/anyone
else are taxed starting at 37% for amounts > $675,000.

I know many states have additional inheritance/estate taxes with much lower
limits/exemptions.

I recall the state of Arkansas was expecting a windfall of something like 40% of the
state's annual budget when Sam Walton's wife finally died. He had already died, but his
fortune passed tax free to his wife. However, when she died, a huge tax would be due when
the estate went to the children. But then later I read that gift tax had been paid to pass
the stock to the children, so I don't know if Arkansas received their "inheritance".

I think I now remember where the $100,000 came from. It's from the gift tax. Normally, a
person can give any amount as a gift to their spouse. However, if their spouse is not a
citizen, the limit is $100,000, or else a tax is due.

Paulgani

> > Normally, if your spouse dies, you can inherit an unlimited amount
> without
> > any tax. However, it appears that if you are not a citizen when your
> spouse
> > dies, the estate will be subject to the Estate tax,
>
>
> Are you 100% sure of this fact. I recall when Bill died, you were allowed something like
> $109,000 tax free under NYS law and I forgot the amount under federal law. But there was
> indeed a limit. Anything over those amounts were taxable under the estate tax.
>
> Insurance proceeds were tax free.
>
> Rita

Old Jan 25th 2001, 5:22 am
Michael Voight

Nope... Estate left to non citizen spouses are NOT treated the same. The tax would
normally be paid by the next generation, but changes in the law were made because it was
thought the non citizen might leave the country and the US would lose out on tax money.

Michael

paulgani wrote:
>
> I'm not 100% sure about anything regarding estate taxes. However, under Federal law, I'm
> pretty sure estates left to spouses are tax free, however, estates left to
> children/anyone else are taxed starting at 37% for amounts > $675,000.
>
> I know many states have additional inheritance/estate taxes with much lower
> limits/exemptions.
>
> I recall the state of Arkansas was expecting a windfall of something like 40% of the
> state's annual budget when Sam Walton's wife finally died. He had already died, but his
> fortune passed tax free to his wife. However, when she died, a huge tax would be due
> when the estate went to the children. But then later I read that gift tax had been paid
> to pass the stock to the children, so I don't know if Arkansas received their
> "inheritance".
>
> I think I now remember where the $100,000 came from. It's from the gift tax. Normally, a
> person can give any amount as a gift to their spouse. However, if their spouse is not a
> citizen, the limit is $100,000, or else a tax is due.
>
> Paulgani
>

> > In article <[email protected]>,

> > > Normally, if your spouse dies, you can inherit an unlimited amount
> > without
> > > any tax. However, it appears that if you are not a citizen when your
> > spouse
> > > dies, the estate will be subject to the Estate tax,
> >
> >
> > Are you 100% sure of this fact. I recall when Bill died, you were allowed
> > something like $109,000 tax free under NYS law and I forgot the amount under
> > federal law. But there was indeed a limit. Anything over those amounts were
> > taxable under the estate tax.
> >
> > Insurance proceeds were tax free.
> >
> > Rita
> >

Old Jan 25th 2001, 12:28 pm
Andy Platt

Of course, as we discussed before, one solution is to keep all assets in both names. If
you are in the fortunate position where you need to worry about this, transfer $100,000 a
year in assets over to the non-US citizen since if they croak first it wouldn't matter.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

> Here's a simpler link:
>
> http://www.taxprophet.com/foreign/est_ft.html
>
> Paulgani
>

> > However, Onigiri brought up an interesting one that I had read about a
> very
> > long time ago, but forgot until he mentioned it: the Estate tax
> >
> >
>
> > 56A-1&TYPE=TEXT
>

Old Jan 25th 2001, 12:31 pm
Andy Platt

Currently you lose it although there is pressure to change this:

http://www.centraleurope.com/special/czam.php3

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

>
>
> > >
> >
> > Great news. But why 2011?? Do you have no plans to apply for naturalization in 2 years
> > and 9 months?
> >
> > Michael
>
> Not really. I cannot say that I will never apply for US citizenship, but there is no
> rush. I definitely want to wait until we have children so that they can have dual
> citizenship (which I don't think I can have). I don't particularly care to vote given
> the choices, I am not planning to take government job and it's extremely unlikely that I
> will ever need (or otherwise qualify for) any kind of public assistance. But truth to be
> told, I have not looked into the dual citizenship rules at home (Czech Republic). If I
> can have dual citizenship, I'll probably do it before my current GC expires. The only
> compelling reason is that it would make it easier for us to live in Prague for a while
> at some point.
>
> Alena

Old Jan 25th 2001, 1:08 pm
Rita

in message

> > > However, Onigiri brought up an interesting one that I had read
about a
> > very
> > > long time ago, but forgot until he mentioned it: the Estate tax
> > >
> > >
> >
>
http://squid.law.cornell.edu/cgi-bin...&PART=20&SECTI ON=20
> > > 56A-1&TYPE=TEXT
> >
> >
> >
>
>

--
The K1 FAQ is now at http://www.k1faq.com www2.apex.net/users/thehydes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.