Is this game over?

Old Sep 15th 2017, 1:46 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this game over?

Originally Posted by crg
The I-601 can be required for adjustment of status as well.

"If you are inadmissible to the United States and are seeking an immigrant visa, adjustment of status, certain nonimmigrant statuses or certain other immigration benefits, you must file this form to seek a waiver of certain grounds of inadmissibility. Please refer to the instructions to determine whether you should use this form."
Ive lost count how many of Ian's posts you've corrected recently
Old Sep 15th 2017, 4:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I thought 601 waivers were only for visas, not adjustments of status, but I'm not a lawyer so could be wrong.

Rene
You can do one in Country.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 5:47 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I thought 601 waivers were only for visas, not adjustments of status, but I'm not a lawyer so could be wrong.

Rene
Adjustment of status is "as if" one is applying for a visa. There are exceptions to that general rule. But generally, section 212(a) [the grounds of inadmissabilty] apply to adjustments.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Adjustment of status is "as if" one is applying for a visa. There are exceptions to that general rule. But generally, section 212(a) [the grounds of inadmissabilty] apply to adjustments.
hmmm I guess ill have to hope,wait and see if i212 (assuming he gets this) will be enough to see us through to the end goal as he definitely doesn't qualify for i601. I'm bracing myself for a long uncertain journey!
Old Sep 16th 2017, 12:34 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
hmmm I guess ill have to hope,wait and see if i212 (assuming he gets this) will be enough to see us through to the end goal as he definitely doesn't qualify for i601. I'm bracing myself for a long uncertain journey!
I-212 is an application for permission to apply for admission after being ordered removed or a few other major violations. It's similar to a waiver.

Section 212 of the INA is list of inadmissibilities/ineligibilities, exceptions and waivers. That can be confusing, but they are very different. You don't need a Form I-212. He may be inadmissible under section 212.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in agreement, I think he'll need another I-601.

This is a quote from the form instructions:

What is the Purpose of Form I-601?
An individual who is ineligible to be admitted to the United States as an immigrant or to adjust status in the United States,
and certain nonimmigrant applicants who are inadmissible, must file this application to seek a waiver of certain grounds of
inadmissibility.
I've underlined the bits he'd get caught on - in essence he's ineligible to adjust status based on a criminal inadmissibility. That's why he'd need a waiver.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 3:11 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

The numerology in immigration can get a tad confusing at times. The convention in reference to the statute is to use section numbers from the Immigration & Nationality Act. (There are also parallel citations to "8 US Code." But those will rarely be used). Then each form has its own number.

So, by way of example, an application under section 245 of the Act is made on Form I-485. So, it is not uncommon to see 245 and 485 used interchangeably.

Form I-212 is the application to return after removal/deportation. Section 212(a) of the Act is the list of grounds of inadmissibility. The form used to apply for most waivers is form I-601.

Now, since there is no section 485 in the Act, usage of the two numbers is in the "no harm, no foul" territory. 212 is a different matter.

It is confusing, even to us who deal with the system on a constant basis.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Sep 18th 2017 at 4:10 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiversaint
I'm in agreement, I think he'll need another I-601.

This is a quote from the form instructions:

I've underlined the bits he'd get caught on - in essence he's ineligible to adjust status based on a criminal inadmissibility. That's why he'd need a waiver.
and so presumably he would never be able to get a green card?
Old Sep 18th 2017, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

How have you concluded he's inadmissible due to unlawful presence? Has that been decided already?

I traveled on an ESTA in a very similar circumstance and was only found inadmissible on the basis of the drug conviction.

He would only be inadmissible on the basis of 212(a)(9)(B)(v) if he had stayed in the US for more than 180 days in a continuous stint and then left (incidentally he would also have a ban of some sort, too). He does not contravene this part of Section 212 INA, unless you've omitted something about the length of time he has been in the states.

Only then would he need an I-601 that demonstrated extreme hardship for a USC dependent. (well, there are probably some other cases but drugs isn't one of them, and I'm guessing this is the case you're looking at)

As far as I can tell, he only needs an I-601 for his criminal inadmissibility. As I said in an earlier post, although needing another I-601 for AoJ, he's still eligible for a GC as his drug conviction was minor enough, which is lucky.

Last edited by shiversaint; Sep 18th 2017 at 3:23 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

How have you concluded he's inadmissible due to unlawful presence? Has that been decided already?

I traveled on an ESTA in a very similar circumstance and was only found inadmissible on the basis of the drug conviction.

He would only be inadmissible on the basis of 212(a)(9)(B)(v) if he had stayed in the US for more than 180 days in a continuous stint and then left (incidentally he would also have a ban of some sort, too). He does not contravene this part of Section 212 INA, unless you've omitted something about the length of time he has been in the states.

Only then would he need an I-601 that demonstrated extreme hardship for a USC dependent.

As far as I can tell, he only needs an I-601 for his criminal inadmissibility. As I said in an earlier post, although needing another I-601 for AoJ, he's still eligible for a GC as his drug conviction was minor enough, which is lucky.
ok, thank you for clarifying. He has never been in the US for longer than a 3 wk stint. We are literally 'just' dealing with his original conviction of possession in the early 90s (and subsequent trips to USA using ESTA which I was fearing could result in 'unlawful presence')
Old Sep 18th 2017, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

ok, thank you for clarifying. He has never been in the US for longer than a 3 wk stint. We are literally 'just' dealing with his original conviction of possession in the early 90s (and subsequent trips to USA using ESTA which I was fearing could result in 'unlawful presence')
Ok. In which case, for a waiver of Section 212(h) which is where marijuana falls, these are the criteria:

1. The criminal activity occurred more than 15 years before the application for admission;

2. Admission would not be contrary to national welfare, safety, or security; and

3. The applicant has been rehabilitated.

Having a USC dependent and demonstrating extreme hardship is another method, but versus the above, much harder to show in most cases. Given the circumstances you've described you should be fine. He obviously needs to remain clean as a whistle from now on though!
Old Sep 18th 2017, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ok. In which case, for a waiver of Section 212(h) which is where marijuana falls, these are the criteria:

1. The criminal activity occurred more than 15 years before the application for admission;

2. Admission would not be contrary to national welfare, safety, or security; and

Having a USC dependent and demonstrating extreme hardship is another method, but versus the above, much harder to show in most cases. Given the circumstances you've described you should be fine. He obviously needs to remain clean as a whistle from now on though!
thank you. The irony is, he's as straight-laced as they come! he hadn't even thought about this for over 2 decades until it just came to light....
hopefully after we get past this, I can teach my kids about the possible consequences of a small mistake when you are young and having fun!!
It is crazy to me the list of crimes that are eligible for the petty exception rule that in my opinion are much worse than being caught with a spliff....
Old Sep 18th 2017, 10:04 pm
BE Commentator

I suggest you reread the section. It's been some time since read 212(h), but that subsection applies to prostitution grounds of inadmissibility. The cross-reference makes it difficult to read and engender confusion.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Sep 18th 2017 at 10:11 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 10:05 pm
BE Commentator

thank you. The irony is, he's as straight-laced as they come! he hadn't even thought about this for over 2 decades until it just came to light....
hopefully after we get past this, I can teach my kids about the possible consequences of a small mistake when you are young and having fun!!
It is crazy to me the list of crimes that are eligible for the petty exception rule that in my opinion are much worse than being caught with a spliff....
The immigration laws are behind the times when it comes to drug offenses.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Sep 18th 2017 at 10:11 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
The immigration laws are behind the times when it comes to drug offenses.
agreed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.