Own Business and EAD

Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

NicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really nice
Default Own Business and EAD

hi guys - me again

so i want to start my own business (along the lines of avon) but i want to know it this is ok before i have my EAD as its not actual employment, but it is income. I would get a 10-99 form at the end of the year and commission paychecks each month but no employment contract.

Any advice - can i do this or do i have to wait?
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Own Business and EAD

Originally Posted by NicciT
hi guys - me again

so i want to start my own business (along the lines of avon) but i want to know it this is ok before i have my EAD as its not actual employment, but it is income. I would get a 10-99 form at the end of the year and commission paychecks each month but no employment contract.

Any advice - can i do this or do i have to wait?
If you are generating income, you are supposed to wait until you have an EAD in hand first.

That said, if you'll be self employed (meaning you don't have to submit an I-9 employment verification to an employer), you can probably work and it would be forgiven by USCIS if they come to find out about it.

Rene
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

NicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really nice

great thanks - i prob won't actually earn anything until i get my EAD anyway so that prob would be avoided!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:16 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

great thanks - i prob won't actually earn anything until i get my EAD anyway so that prob would be avoided!
If you want to get the account set up, buy the inventory, make appointments, and talk to clients, you can do all that now. Might be better to have your EAD in hand before actually making a sale.

Rene
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you want to get the account set up, buy the inventory, make appointments, and talk to clients, you can do all that now. Might be better to have your EAD in hand before actually making a sale.

Rene
Yeah its likely to be around 2-3 months before i can start earning an income and i've been told i'll have my EAD within 60 days by the USCIS yesterday but thanks for the advice!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah its likely to be around 2-3 months before i can start earning an income and i've been told i'll have my EAD within 60 days by the USCIS yesterday but thanks for the advice!
Its a little like Avon or Jewlry parties where u do parties at others houses
Old Jul 15th 2010, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget to do taxes, for which you'll need an SSN.

The taxes for freelance and self employment can be tricky as there aren't any withholdings by your employer every month so you'll either be paying a big lump sum at the end of the year along with possible penalties for not paying during the year or paying quarterly estimated taxes (look to set aside a good chunk of cash 25-50% of income). Suggest talking to an accountant to check your particular position.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Don't forget to do taxes, for which you'll need an SSN.

The taxes for freelance and self employment can be tricky as there aren't any withholdings by your employer every month so you'll either be paying a big lump sum at the end of the year along with possible penalties for not paying during the year or paying quarterly estimated taxes (look to set aside a good chunk of cash 25-50% of income). Suggest talking to an accountant to check your particular position.
good advice thanks so much i will def do this!!
Old Jul 16th 2010, 12:01 am

good advice thanks so much i will def do this!!
Nicci,

Once you get organized in your business, if you need a sample spreadsheet to keep track of income and business expenses, I have a very good one that I use for my husband's self-employment business. It's already separated out with the categories the way they need to be presented to a tax preparer.

Let me know via PM and I'll send it to you.

Rene
Old Jul 16th 2010, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

Thank you so much Rene I will def be in touch re that once i've got all the wheels in motion - shouldn't be too long i hope but that will be a great help - thank you again x
Old Jul 16th 2010, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

Family_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Don't forget to do taxes, for which you'll need an SSN......
Not strictly true. To file taxes you need an ITIN for which you do NOT require a SSN in fact not having a SSN is a positive factor when applying for a ITIN.

Everyone including illegals is required to file taxes.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:31 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Not having a SSN is not sufficient - to get an ITIN one must be not eligible for a SSN.

If one does not have an SSN, but is eligible to apply for a SSN, then one must apply for the SSN. They cannot get an ITIN.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Family_Guy
Not strictly true. To file taxes you need an ITIN for which you do NOT require a SSN in fact not having a SSN is a positive factor when applying for a ITIN.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

Family_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Not having a SSN is not sufficient - to get an ITIN one must be not eligible for a SSN.

If one does not have an SSN, but is eligible to apply for a SSN, then one must apply for the SSN. They cannot get an ITIN.

Regards, JEff
True, however based upon the OP he is not eligible at this moment in time for a SS#

I admit this is not an area that I have great knowledge of but can he not get an ITIN on that basis???? I know I did.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Family_Guy
True, however based upon the OP he is not eligible at this moment in time for a SS#
How do you come to this conclusion? The OP never even mentioned Social Security Number. She never even mentioned what visa she's here on, although I can make an educated guess. So how can you know she's not eligible for a SSN?

I admit this is not an area that I have great knowledge of but can he not get an ITIN on that basis???? I know I did.
If someone is not eligible at all for a SSN, then yes, they can get an ITIN on that basis. However, the OP seems to be eligible for one (as far as I can tell), so therefore cannot get an ITIN.

Rene
Old Jul 17th 2010, 11:55 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Its a little like Avon or Jewlry parties where u do parties at others houses

Please be sure to apply to your city for a business license. They are inexpensive and only a sheet of paper but it is necessary to have. The license will allow youto work from your home, will define your business and will be helpful in claiming much needed State and Federal Income business deductions from your income tax filings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.