Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Form N-400 - Application for Naturalization question

Form N-400 - Application for Naturalization question

Old Nov 1st 2017, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

lutonmad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Form N-400 - Application for Naturalization question

Hi all,

Long time reader but first time poster here, I have been browsing the site since 2013 and it has been a valuable resource for me during my journey from England to a United States Permanent Resident, thank you to everyone for making this a great community.

So I had a question regarding Application for Naturalization, I have been completing Form N-400 and I just want to make sure that I am completing this correctly before I send it.

Basically I came into the country with a K1 fiance visa and got my permanent resident card on 08/06/14 (American date format) - this was with an expiry of 08/06/16. Again no issues here, I applied for and got my 10 year permanent resident card on 12/22/16 (they gave me a year extension on my 2 year card when I put the application in, hence the date 'discrepancy') So my 'new' permanent resident card has a 'card expiry' of 12/22/26 and a 'Resident since' date of 08/06/14.

I have been reading the documentation that accompanies Form N-400 and this applies to me here.

Requirements:
If you 'are at least 18 years old' and 'Are currently married to and living with a US citizen' and 'Have been married to and living with that same US citizen for the past 3 years' and 'Your spouse has been a US citizen for the past 3 years'. 'Time as Permanent Resident should be a minimum of 3 years.'

So I meet all these requirements except maybe the last one, so my question is does my time as a Permanent Resident start when I first got my 2 year card on 08/06/14 OR when I applied for and got my 10 year card on 12/22/2016?

Obviously if its the latter then I have a couple more years to wait!

Thank you in advance.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 8:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Form N-400 - Application for Naturalization question

When you first got your 2-year card.

Rene
Old Nov 1st 2017, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

lutonmad is an unknown quantity at this point

Perfect, thank you! That means I can send off my completed form today!

Thank you for the quick response.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

The date shown as "Resident Since" on your Green Card.

It doesn't matter that your original GC was conditional. You've been a permanent resident since the date it was issued. You are qualified to apply for naturalization on the basis of three years' residence while married to and residing with a USC.