Foreign passport renewal

Old Jan 31st 2001, 10:01 pm
bmah

Hi folks--

Been a long time since I've posted here...I've got what I think is a quick question but
it'll take a little background to get there.

I'm a US citizen, my wife is an Australian citizen born in Hong Kong. She came to the US
as my fiancee in December 1999 on a K-1 (through San Francisco, CA), and we did the usual
legal marriage/file for AOS, EAD, and AP. All is well. (Well, the AOS could be happening
faster, but you can't have everything.)

Finally, the question: My wife's Australian passport is expiring soon and she needs to
renew it. Inside her passport is her K-1 visa, and her last I-94. What happens to these
documents when she renews her passport?

Thanks!

Bruce.

PS. ObStory: I slacked quite a bit and so we didn't realize that my wife's EAD needed
renewing until about a week before it expired. When I found this out, I did a quick
bit of searching and found that the EAD should be renewed either six months before
expiration or one month before expiration, depending on where I looked.

With some trepidation we made the trek down to the San Francisco INS office and got to
stand out on Sansome at some obscenely early hour of the morning like we've done several
times before (and like I'm sure some of you have). To my immense surprise no one said
anything to indicate this was out of the ordinary, and we walked out of the building two
hours later, with new EAD in hand.

I sure don't advocate the "wait until the last week" approach like we did, but that's
what happened.

Old Feb 1st 2001, 1:40 am
Onigiri

> Finally, the question: My wife's Australian passport is expiring soon and she needs to
> renew it. Inside her passport is her K-1 visa, and her last I-94. What happens to these
> documents when she renews her passport?
When you send the passport for renewal ( to the Australian Consulate ) take out the I-94
and keep it with you. When they send the new one, they will return the cancelled old
passport back to you for keepsake. Stick the I-94 back in the new passport and continue
with the AoS-waiting.