Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Foreign Marriage and Income Tax filing status???

Foreign Marriage and Income Tax filing status???

Old Jan 29th 2001, 10:16 am
Kitty256

Got married in Russia in Nov 2000. Would it be better to file single or jointly??? If we
file jointly I coulld take a bigger deduction??? and of course she wouls need a TIN. She
works and makes about 400 dollars a month....I dont think ther is a tax treaty between USA
and Russia. I doubt russian government would cooperate and send any info to IRS about her
earnings. Anyway she refuses to pay any of her salary in taxes to Uncle Sam until she is
living with me in the USA (and I dont blame her) So I could file as single but I would be
better off filing income taxes jointly??? and taking a bigger deduction?? yes???

Old Jan 29th 2001, 1:52 pm
Andy Platt

She probably doesn't earn enough ($76000) in Russia to worry about Uncle Sam wanting some.
Even if she does earn that much form 2555 should take care of
it.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

> Got married in Russia in Nov 2000. Would it be better to file single or jointly??? If we
> file jointly I coulld take a bigger deduction??? and of course she wouls need a TIN. She
> works and makes about 400 dollars a month....I dont think ther is a tax treaty between
> USA and Russia. I doubt russian government would cooperate and send any info to IRS
> about her earnings. Anyway she refuses to pay any of her salary in taxes to Uncle
Sam
> until she is living with me in the USA (and I dont blame her) So I could file as single
> but I would be better off filing income taxes jointly??? and taking a bigger
> deduction?? yes???