Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

First entry to US with Immigration Visa

First entry to US with Immigration Visa

Old Sep 17th 2017, 8:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First entry to US with Immigration Visa

Originally Posted by md95065
You should be able to keep that number when you finally establish a permanent cell phone account.
Indeed. I "ported" a PAYG number to a full AT&T contract, based on the PAYG payment record from the service provider's web site.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

viitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond repute

Which bank did you manage to secure a bank account with? I am moving in a few weeks and have all this to do (and in new york city too lol)
Old Sep 19th 2017, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

skyland235 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by viitav
Which bank did you manage to secure a bank account with? I am moving in a few weeks and have all this to do (and in new york city too lol)
Hi- Wells Fargo and Bank Of America... just to pre-warn you that neither bank really understood that i was applying as a permanent Resident with a valid Immigration Visa - they did not undertsnad the visa and stamp in our passports... but got there in the end
I made online appointments to see each bank when we were in the UK
Old Sep 19th 2017, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

viitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skyland235
Hi- Wells Fargo and Bank Of America... just to pre-warn you that neither bank really understood that i was applying as a permanent Resident with a valid Immigration Visa - they did not undertsnad the visa and stamp in our passports... but got there in the end
I made online appointments to see each bank when we were in the UK
Amazing thank you. Did you try Chase? My Husband still has an open account there however its been open without activity for a few years so unsure if its still even available lol..

In regards to your SS I believe they sometimes send it within a few weeks however I start my job on the 1st Dec and I arrive on the 28th Oct. Did you just find your local office and apply for it there? How long will it take to arrive?
Old Sep 19th 2017, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

skyland235 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by viitav
In regards to your SS I believe they sometimes send it within a few weeks however I start my job on the 1st Dec and I arrive on the 28th Oct. Did you just find your local office and apply for it there? How long will it take to arrive?
Yes- we applied at an office in Brooklyn - This I expected to be a nightmare but turned out to be the most straightforward - the only comment they made was that I should have waited at least 7 days before coming in to apply ( we landed on Saturday and we went to the office on Monday) - we were advised approx 3 weeks to get the SSN