Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

First entry to US with Immigration Visa

First entry to US with Immigration Visa

Old Sep 8th 2017, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

skyland235 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First entry to US with Immigration Visa

Hi
We are travelling to US tomorrow and hope all goes well with immigration officers as it is our first visit following Immigration Visa approval. Port of entry is JFK
Thanks to all who have helped and answered my queries.
We are only visiting for 6 days and plan to at least open bank accounts etc
will update when we return back to the UK
Old Sep 8th 2017, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Chins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: First entry to US with Immigration Visa

Good luck. Interested to hear your experience at JFK, hoping to be doing the same sometime in Nov/Dec at JFK or EWR.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Chins
Good luck. Interested to hear your experience at JFK, hoping to be doing the same sometime in Nov/Dec at JFK or EWR.
Will update this forum - this forum has been a constant source of support and about time i give a little back!!
Old Sep 8th 2017, 5:36 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Over the last 20 years there have been few complaints about people's experiences in either Newark (EWR) or New York (JFK). Just remember they are there to process you as a new immigrant, not to be your friend.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Hi – a quick update…
Things happened so fast that I am not even sure the CBP guy completed everything correctly from a procedural point of view and not really given the opportunity to ask as he wasn’t’ one for politeness nor conversation - things happened significantly quicker than I had envisaged and from experiences described by others in a similar position… i can only hope that all was completed properly but too be honest i have no idea...

After landing – waited in the queue for ‘visitors’ – as this is what we were told to do.
Got seen in 5 minutes- no opening pleasantries etc - the guy asked, ‘what the envelopes were for’ – I explained we are entering as permanent residents / immigration Visa.
He then said ‘open the envelopes’ – I hesitated for a while as we weren’t supposed to open the envelopes??? He then repeated again in a sterner voice ‘open the envelopes’
I opened both envelopes – he put all docs to one side – took finger prints etc- stamped the passport- advised the that green card would be mailed to us within 3-6 months and the stamp/visa in passport is a ‘temporary’ green card???
That was it… all done in about 10 mins- which got me thinking if everything was done properly as on the passport all we have is an ‘admitted’ stamp with a reference number written into it and the date stamp of 9th September and one has F31 and the other F32… perhaps it is as simple as this???
So my question is on our next trip to the US is this sufficient to prove Permanent Residency, as I am flying out again in November. The ‘immigrant visa’ issued by US embassy and imprinted in our passports was valid for 6 months only as we had to enter the US for the 1st time within 6 months – which we have done…
Old Sep 13th 2017, 3:02 pm
UK->US

Katdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud of

Thanks for sharing your experiences, sounds like it was a (somewhat) smooth and quick process for you, hoping I have the same in November.

Originally Posted by skyland235
I opened both envelopes – he put all docs to one side – took finger prints etc- stamped the passport- advised the that green card would be mailed to us within 3-6 months and the stamp/visa in passport is a ‘temporary’ green card???
Just on this, if you look to the bottom-left of the visa in your passport, can you see the following text: "UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR"?

If so, this is what they meant by "temporary green card". I think I-551 is the official name for a green card.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

deadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond repute

You are now permanent residents - Congratulations.

TBH - I think we build these things up into our head, but you were probably the 30th PR he processed this week and probably won't be his last. The reality is...whatever is in the envelope, he probably already has on his screen - he can see most if not everything and once you got to this stage...failing major fraud on your part or incompetency on USCIS...you are a shoe in - it is just a case of stamping the passport

As for the stamp being enough? Yes it is - it's a I-551 stamp which is proof of your status in your passport. You are free to travel on this as much as you need.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

And the stamp serves as proof for an I-9 (to work).
Old Sep 13th 2017, 4:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

So my question is on our next trip to the US is this sufficient to prove Permanent Residency, as I am flying out again in November. .....
The I-551 stamp is "sufficient" but because it contains all the security features of a potato print you should expect to be sent to secondary to be verified.

I made the mistake of leaving my green card behind once, and was sternly admonished by the CBP officer on my return, who told me that he was supposed to send me to secondary for additional verification, but he was going to let me in "because I didn't fit the profile". That was at JFK in January 2002!

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 13th 2017 at 4:40 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 5:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like he did all that he was suppose to do. Please come back and verify that the language UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR" is present. Did he ask where your permanent address would be to send the card? Some people are asked that as they don't always go to the one they listed on previous paperwork.

I don't really know what you were expecting but that is all that there is to it.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Sounds like he did all that he was suppose to do. Please come back and verify that the language UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR" is present. Did he ask where your permanent address would be to send the card? Some people are asked that as they don't always go to the one they listed on previous paperwork.

I don't really know what you were expecting but that is all that there is to it.
Thank you all - i am now happy that all is well. Yes, UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR" is present in both of our passports....

For some reason I expected a proper inquisition etc etc and when it was all over in a maximum of 10 minutes i just had doubts
Old Sep 17th 2017, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Returned back to the UK yesterday after short trip- apart from above not a great deal to update on....
(1) Managed to open bank accounts and also applied for SSN - opening bank accounts more of a challenge as some would not accept that we were now permanent residents.
(2) To start rebuilding credit I asked if we could have/apply for a SECURED credit card but advised for this we would need a SSN so will do this when SSN received...
(3) Ideally, could have done with a US mobile with local number – but was after a number which had no expiry…in the end ordered a SIM thought ‘ToggleMobile’ – so have a US number with no expiry as long as I top within 30 days and then it is good for 365 days.
(4) Biggest mistake I made was to hire a car in New York City!! (We stayed in an Airbnb in Brooklyn so I felt that having a car would be good so that we could get around and explore a little) We had booked an 'intermediate' model but on arriving at Enterprise were told that none available and that at no cost we could have one of their larger vehicles ( she called it a Van)- when we saw the vehicles we thought great as it looked excellent...big mistake... I felt stressed out each time we drove...after 3 days we stuck to using the Subway!!
Old Sep 17th 2017, 2:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... (4) Biggest mistake I made was to hire a car in New York City!! (We stayed in an Airbnb in Brooklyn so I felt that having a car would be good so that we could get around and explore a little) We had booked an 'intermediate' model but on arriving at Enterprise were told that none available and that at no cost we could have one of their larger vehicles ( she called it a Van)- when we saw the vehicles we thought great as it looked excellent...big mistake... I felt stressed out each time we drove...after 3 days we stuck to using the Subway!!
Ahem! I tried to tell you.
Old Sep 17th 2017, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Ahem! I tried to tell you.
Lesson learned!!
Old Sep 17th 2017, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

(3) Ideally, could have done with a US mobile with local number – but was after a number which had no expiry…in the end ordered a SIM thought ‘ToggleMobile’ – so have a US number with no expiry as long as I top within 30 days and then it is good for 365 days.
You should be able to keep that number when you finally establish a permanent cell phone account.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.