Finding work in the US (NY area)

Old Feb 2nd 2018, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

Calimairi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding work in the US (NY area)

Hi,
Im currently on an L-1 blanket visa undertaking a 1 year talent program for a big global company i work for. It comes to an end in March and i have to go home to fulfill the goals of the program.
Now, i have found that i love the US, it feels like home and i have made friends here and love it more than the UK. I want to live and work here.
I have a professional job: Bid/proposal manager, have been awarded the highest award in my industry, 15 years experience etc. Is there any way I can find work here? I guess a company would need to sponsor my visa. Is there many companies that would do that? Any other options? WHere can i advertise myself? Anyone got any connections?
Thanks
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 6:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding work in the US (NY area)

Originally Posted by Calimairi
Is there any way I can find work here?
I dont see why not.

I guess a company would need to sponsor my visa.
Correct. Most likely an H-1B. The employer must file a petition for you on April 1, for a start date in October. The H-1B often gets oversubscribed and goes to a lottery drawing. You may or may not get chosen.

Is there many companies that would do that?
Any company who is willing to pay the thousands of dollars, yes.

Any other options?
Check out our Wiki article called Pulaski's Ways
... It lists all the ways into the USA.

WHere can i advertise myself?
The usual places like Linkedin, etc. Network with your US contacts in your field.

Anyone got any connections?
Not I, sorry.

Renr
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Having done a rotational leadership program myself (and ended up in the US) I found the best option was definitely to stay within the original company. I too had to go back to the UK to finish the program, but from the outset was clear that I wanted a role based in the US, given they'd already sponsored my visa, the company was quite happy for me to "graduate" the program and take a US role, albeit time limited to the visa. My suggestion is to explore options within your existing company. If that isn't possible then Rene is right, an H1-B sounds like your only option, but that is an unlikely one (around 30% chance, even if you can find a sponsor)
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Calimairi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts
Having done a rotational leadership program myself (and ended up in the US) I found the best option was definitely to stay within the original company. I too had to go back to the UK to finish the program, but from the outset was clear that I wanted a role based in the US, given they'd already sponsored my visa, the company was quite happy for me to "graduate" the program and take a US role, albeit time limited to the visa. My suggestion is to explore options within your existing company. If that isn't possible then Rene is right, an H1-B sounds like your only option, but that is an unlikely one (around 30% chance, even if you can find a sponsor)
Thank you, staying in the original company is my best bet I think. They are quite archaic here and ive been fighting that for a few months now. Result being, I HAVE to go back to the UK and impart my knowledge. Now this could be as short as 4 weeks, so i wanted to try and start the ball rolling with something that could then start after 4 weeks, but I have been told by my department there is nothing in that dept in the "short term". I may have to look at transferrable skills and then apply for other roles in the same company.

When you graduated the program and ended up with a US role, did you have modifications to your visa? or have to get a new one? how long did that take? My program is a year long but my visa is a 3 year one?