Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Finding out if DX has delivered passport to London or not?

Finding out if DX has delivered passport to London or not?

Old Oct 24th 2017, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

uk2us87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Finding out if DX has delivered passport to London or not?

Hello everyone, my very first post here, so please excuse if I make any posting faux pas.

So...
Last Wednesday (18th/10/17) I got an email from the consulate to send my passport and itinerary. I went to the nearest DX office the next day (19th) and submitted both. I was given a photocopy of the instructions (which I downloaded from the visa info website) with a DX tracking sticker on it. The sticker is basically a barcode and number. The lady at the office said they'd email me by Monday the 23rd, when I asked her how to find out if my passport has been delivered.

I haven't received any email thus far, either from DX or the embassy. I called DX and they said that the barcode they gave me works once the embassy has put the passport in the mail.
Fair enough, but is it okay then to assume that DX has DEFINITELY delivered the passport? The girl said yeah it's usually the next working day, or the 2nd day max. Well, I suppose its routine work for them, but I read cases online where they lost someone's passport or the embassy didn't receive it. Any ideas how to find out if it has reached there?

Thanks!
Old Oct 24th 2017, 7:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding out if DX has delivered passport to London or not?

Originally Posted by uk2us87
Hello everyone, my very first post here, so please excuse if I make any posting faux pas.

Well, I suppose its routine work for them, but I read cases online where they lost someone's passport or the embassy didn't receive it. Any ideas how to find out if it has reached there?

Thanks!
Hi and welcome to BE.

How many reports of this type have you read? Does this appear to happen in the majority of cases or is it perhaps 1 in 10,000?

I'm sure it does happen but doubt that it happens on a regular basis. It is normal to be anxious and unless you were prepared to hand deliver the passport to the US Embassy, itself, then you have to stay positive and believe that all is proceeding as it should. The package has arrived and once it has been through the mailroom and landed on an officer's desk, it will be taken care and sent back to you. How long that will take is the same as asking about the length of a piece of string.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

uk2us87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rete,
You're right about it being statistically low, however, I suppose it's just the anxiety of knowing if they have delivered the passport. It is after all a document of sufficient importance.
I appreciate that I need to wait, and that's not what I'm at all concerned about. All I'd like to know is if there's some way to confirm whether my passport has been delivered. Does the US embassy entertain such requests via email?
Old Oct 24th 2017, 7:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The only way to contact the embassy is by using the "contact us" link on their website.

Rene
Old Oct 24th 2017, 7:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rete,
You're right about it being statistically low, however, I suppose it's just the anxiety of knowing if they have delivered the passport. It is after all a document of sufficient importance.
I appreciate that I need to wait, and that's not what I'm at all concerned about. All I'd like to know is if there's some way to confirm whether my passport has been delivered. Does the US embassy entertain such requests via email?

I understand your anxiety as I've had to mail or courier important documentation within the continental US and to Germany from the US many times over the years. I've also done this with estate paperwork by USPS from NY to Germany and never had a problem.

I don't believe they do and can't understand why this DX (?courier?) cannot tell you that it was delivered as that seems to be the purpose of a courier service.

You can always attempt to e-mail the US Embassy and hope for a reply. Just don't be upset if you don't get one.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 8:42 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rete,
As far as I know, from what little I remember of my own visa application, I don't think you can check whether the embassy has received the passport or not.

You just have to sit tight and hope for the best.