Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

FBI Namecheck, FBI Fingeprints, and Writ of Mandamus

FBI Namecheck, FBI Fingeprints, and Writ of Mandamus

Old Aug 5th 2006, 12:02 am

Default Re: FBI Namecheck, FBI Fingeprints, and Writ of Mandamus

i am very interested in a class action suit, my i-485 has been pending
on name check for more than four years, please let me know what is the
next step

Old Aug 5th 2006, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

violator_dm will become famous soon enoughviolator_dm will become famous soon enough

I doubt you will find a judge who would certify any action of this sorts as a class.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 8:01 pm

why is that

Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

moeamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: FBI Namecheck, FBI Fingeprints, and Writ of Mandamus

Originally Posted by [email protected]
why is that
I am in the same situation and I am filling a WOM, I don't know that facts in your case but I might have some helpful information if you like. I think that there is a merit for a class action if we have enough people to join. Like I said I'll be more then happy to pass the info.

Last edited by moeamer; Aug 7th 2006 at 8:07 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 3:05 am
csf
BE Enthusiast

csf will become famous soon enough

Out of interest, at what stage of the AOS application do you have the FBI namecheck, fingerprints etc? I only filed 2 weeks ago so I would like to have a good idea

Is this what the biometrics test is for?

Thanks,

Chris
Old Aug 8th 2006, 4:27 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csf
Out of interest, at what stage of the AOS application do you have the FBI namecheck, fingerprints etc? I only filed 2 weeks ago so I would like to have a good idea

Is this what the biometrics test is for?

Thanks,

Chris
Hi Chris,

Yes, it's when you go for the 10-digit biometrics appointment.

Rene
Old Aug 8th 2006, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

pleasedontshout is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys

Kinda making me nervous over here. I filed everything on April 27th, and had my 1-485 interview today in Los Angeles.

The interview went well, although the guy was very stern, as soon as he saw our pictures he wasnt interested in anything else and just said that he will approve the case as soon as the FBI fingerprints come back. My lawyer (who, by the way, has been the single biggest waste of $2200 I have ever, or probably will ever spend, I could have filed everything myself with the help of this forum, and you guys seem to be knowledgable than them...) never mentioned ANYTHING about fingerprints to me. Just told me that I would go there, have the interview with my wife (USC) and they would stamp my passport.

The IO interviewing me was helpful at the end, he said that I will get my Greencard anything between next week and October.

Has anybody else recently had this in Los Angeles?
Old Aug 8th 2006, 10:42 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pleasedontshout
Hi Guys

Kinda making me nervous over here. I filed everything on April 27th, and had my 1-485 interview today in Los Angeles.

The interview went well, although the guy was very stern, as soon as he saw our pictures he wasnt interested in anything else and just said that he will approve the case as soon as the FBI fingerprints come back. My lawyer (who, by the way, has been the single biggest waste of $2200 I have ever, or probably will ever spend, I could have filed everything myself with the help of this forum, and you guys seem to be knowledgable than them...) never mentioned ANYTHING about fingerprints to me. Just told me that I would go there, have the interview with my wife (USC) and they would stamp my passport.

The IO interviewing me was helpful at the end, he said that I will get my Greencard anything between next week and October.

Has anybody else recently had this in Los Angeles?
Hi:

I'm in Los Angeles -- and yes, it happens. By the way, when asked, I tell my clients that my purpose in a marriage adjustment interview is that I'm an insurance policy -- if things go wrong, I'm there to fix them or prevent the damage from getting worse. Of course, if anything goes wrong, its the lawyer's fault. The perfect interview is when the lawyer says good morning at the beginning, thank you at the end, and nothing in between -- I warn the clients that the perfect interview should have them wondering why they paid me.

But the lawyer should have warned you that many case do NOT get approved at the interview -- for all kinds of reasons.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 10:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I'm in Los Angeles -- and yes, it happens. By the way, when asked, I tell my clients that my purpose in a marriage adjustment interview is that I'm an insurance policy -- if things go wrong, I'm there to fix them or prevent the damage from getting worse. Of course, if anything goes wrong, its the lawyer's fault. The perfect interview is when the lawyer says good morning at the beginning, thank you at the end, and nothing in between -- I warn the clients that the perfect interview should have them wondering why they paid me.

But the lawyer should have warned you that many case do NOT get approved at the interview -- for all kinds of reasons.
Same as in the Insurance Industry. Insurance mitigates a loss, much better to never have a claim.

You may also be wondering why you had to pay for seat belts and air bags.

Hopefully you never need them.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

pleasedontshout is an unknown quantity at this point

I appreciate that the Lawyer is like an insurance policy.

The problem being that my lawyer didn't come to the interview, didnt call me before the interview, didnt (hasnt as yet) call me after the interview. They have just taken the money and....ran.

Throughout this entire process they have given me contradictory information about tax returns etc.(at first they said that my wifes returns werent needed as I had a co-sponsor, then told me everything will be filed. 3 weeks later I get a call asking where my wifes tax returns are, and they cant file without them!). Another instance regarded my EAD. They told me I would recieve it within 3 weeks of the fingerprints, obviously that didnt happen. I called them and asked if they had any further info, they say, 'you'll get it next week', basically just fobbing me off. When my EAD did arrive, I call them and tell them. 2 weeks later, they call me stating that I will definately recieve my EAD in the next 2 week!!! Communication is a huge problem here.

Not a mention of FBI name checks, fingerprints etc. Don't get me wrong, it was my decision to get a lawyer, and yes, I enjoyed the security of 'insurance'. I thought that I had done the research well enough but obviously not. It seems that the few issues that I was confused with when filing, were the same issues that they were confused with. I'm going to call them today, they'll be busy, ill leave a message, they will not call me back. Joy.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by [email protected]
i am very interested in a class action suit, my i-485 has been pending
on name check for more than four years, please let me know what is the
next step
Hi:

Out of idle curiosity, why are YOU interested in a class action? Class action litigation is expensive and time consuming -- usually, the only financial benefit of class action litigation are to the attorneys representing the class and not to the named plaintiff. In fact, there have been criminal indictments regarding alleged kickbacks from lawyers to the named plaintiffs.

In my experience, most people in your situation are interested in getting THEIR case completed. Based upon your posting, it seems that you are being somewhat alturistic. Am I wrong?

Like I said -- just curious.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

violator_dm will become famous soon enoughviolator_dm will become famous soon enough

That criminal indictment that was on the front pages of a lot of papers is going to be dismissed pretty soon. That's the word in DC.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 1:53 am

violator_dm wrote:
    > > Hi:
    > >
    > > Out of idle curiosity, why are YOU interested in a class action?
    > > Class action litigation is expensive and time consuming -- usually,
    > > the only financial benefit of class action litigation are to the
    > > attorneys representing the class and not to the named plaintiff. In
    > > fact, there have been criminal indictments regarding alleged kickbacks
    > > from lawyers to the named plaintiffs.
    > >
    > > In my experience, most people in your situation are interested in
    > > getting THEIR case completed. Based upon your posting, it seems that
    > > you are being somewhat alturistic. Am I wrong?
    > >
    > > Like I said -- just curious.

so you are suggesting that when filing for WOM, we should file
individually?

Old Aug 10th 2006, 2:19 am

Thanks, That would be nice if you can pass the infomation. I would like
to know how to file this WOM. Did you file this WOM yourself or you
asked the help from a lawyer? If so, can you share your lawyer's
contact information?

moeamer wrote:
    > > why is that
    > I am in the same situation and I am filling a WOM, I don't know that
    > facts in your case but I might have some helpful information if you
    > like. I think that there is a merit for a class action if we have enough
    > people to join. Like I said I'll be more then happy to pass the info.
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 10th 2006, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

bluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Out of idle curiosity, why are YOU interested in a class action? Class action litigation is expensive and time consuming -- usually, the only financial benefit of class action litigation are to the attorneys representing the class and not to the named plaintiff. In fact, there have been criminal indictments regarding alleged kickbacks from lawyers to the named plaintiffs.

In my experience, most people in your situation are interested in getting THEIR case completed. Based upon your posting, it seems that you are being somewhat alturistic. Am I wrong?

Like I said -- just curious.
Usually it is the case that the lawyer is the big money winner, but in my limited exposure to class action in immigration it is probably another issue. There isn't a lot of money in this type of case for the lawyer as the lawsuit is for performance, not monetary damages. Perhaps the fact that there are SO MANY AOS that are delayed years and years (I'd really like to know where they get their less than 1% figure), maybe there is a shared cost/shared benefit option in this.

Here is one class action that was VERY successful for the class of immigrants.
http://www.immigration.com/newslette...nyiaGonznt.pdf
http://www.immigration.com/newslette...umngwanyia.pdf

http://blog.lawinfo.com/2005/05/25/a...on-settlement/

Just my observation as I am not in the AOS race at this point.

Last edited by bluesails; Aug 10th 2006 at 3:14 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.