Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

f1 visa overstay and denied entry. HELP/ADVICE NEEDED

f1 visa overstay and denied entry. HELP/ADVICE NEEDED

Old Apr 22nd 2017, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

sandrakis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default f1 visa overstay and denied entry. HELP/ADVICE NEEDED

hello. im an international student with f1 visa. i stopped taking classes due to my fathers illness which distracted me from school and was out of status for 7 months. i left the country and tried to re enter on the visa waiver program but was denied entry. i was not given a ban and was told to reapply for a new f1 visa. what are my chances of getting this visa? HELP NEEDED VISA APPOINTMENT APPROACHING!!
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 9:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: f1 visa overstay and denied entry. HELP/ADVICE NEEDED

If you overstayed by even one day you can never use the VWP again.

I don't see why you wouldn't get another visa, but then if you don't apply there is zero chance of you getting a visa.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming you've overstayed by over 180 days, wouldn't that have automatically triggered a 3 year ban?
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

thanks for that response. my interview is on friday
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

apparently the ban does not apply to international students until deportation papers are sent
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 10:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

F1 are admitted under D/S which is stamped in your passport = duration of status and the rules regarding overstay are a bit different.

I would do a search of the forums for this by Mr. Folinskyinla who spoke about this ad naseum in the past.

Are you going to the US Consulate for a new F1? Have you spoken with an attorney? What was stamped in your passport when you were denied entry?
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

yes im going for a new f1 visa. They stamped a big CANCELLED on my current visa and i was told to apply for a new one. I have seen an attorney but he said it will takes months to get a hold of my case. i will definitely be looking for his posts on here because i need as much advice as possible going in for this interview.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 11:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Cancelled means they cancelled your old F1 student visa. Not a biggie. I'm assuming you told the agent you were entering the US to return to school. If that is the case, that is why you were denied entry because your F1 was voided when you failed to continue attending classes. The school most likely cancelled advised the authorities that you were no longer a student at the college/university.

Doubt you will have much of a problem obtaining a new F1 as long as you have the appropriate paperwork from the college, can show the funds to continue your schooling, etc.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 11:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sandrakis
yes im going for a new f1 visa. They stamped a big CANCELLED on my current visa and i was told to apply for a new one. I have seen an attorney but he said it will takes months to get a hold of my case. i will definitely be looking for his posts on here because i need as much advice as possible going in for this interview.
"S Folinsky" is in LA. ..... Rete's post is missing a couple of spaces.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 11:11 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Pulaski
No, I'm not missing any spaces or letters.

His username is Folinskyinla His first name is Stuart. His surname is Folinsky and his practice / residence is in LA.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 11:29 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I believe Folinskyinla was his original username/profile (possibly while he was still practicing law).

He adopted the new profile S Folinsky sometime later.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 11:43 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
I believe Folinskyinla was his original username/profile (possibly while he was still practicing law).

He adopted the new profile S Folinsky sometime later.
His posts regarding student visas and D/S should be under the name I've given.

Frankly, any posts from him after he was allowed to practice law again I rarely looked at.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 11:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
No, I'm not missing any spaces or letters.

His username is Folinskyinla His first name is Stuart. His surname is Folinsky and his practice / residence is in LA.

Originally Posted by Rete
His posts regarding student visas and D/S should be under the name I've given.

Frankly, any posts from him after he was allowed to practice law again I rarely looked at.
Correct...http://britishexpats.com/forum/membe...nskyinla-4043/.
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 1:22 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Assuming you've overstayed by over 180 days, wouldn't that have automatically triggered a 3 year ban?
Unlike most other visas, no - not for F-1 students. They are usually admitted D/S - duration of status. This means that so long as they comply with the terms of the visa, they can stay in the US indefinitely. For someone with D/S status, an overstay doesn't begin to accrue until they first come to the attention of US immigration... and that's when the clock starts.

Ian
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 1:23 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sandrakis
... what are my chances of getting this visa?
On the assumption that you have a current I-20, and proof of finances, your chances are pretty good.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.