Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

F-1 Visa Problem: Out of Status a few times

F-1 Visa Problem: Out of Status a few times

Old Feb 1st 2001, 2:14 pm
Banna

I was at a US undergraduate college on an F-1 Visa and was out of status a couple of
times. On one occasion, I took a leave of absense from my school, but stayed on in the US
an additional semester before I left for home. On another instant, I returned from a leave
of absense on a fresh I-20, did not register as a full time student and left the US after
4 months. Now I am finally planning on going back to school to finish off my degree: I
have one semester of work left. The school's fine with my return, and sent me an I-20.
However the US Embassy suspects I was out of status and wants copies of my transcripts, to
make certain I was a full time student for all the time I was in the US. Official
transcripts I cannot get because I owe Brown (the school) some money (Another problem!!).
My questions are-:

1) Would the INS/Embassy be likely to penalize someone like me by not allowing me to
return? I am planning on biting the bullet and giving them a memo explaning the whole
sorry tale!

2) Given these circumstances would I be able to get a business visa to go to the US
on business?

3) Would these circumstances prevent me from getting a K-1 (Fiance Visa). I am planning on
getting married to my US girlfriend soon.

Basically what I'm asking is this: Should I even apply for a VISA, or is my case too
****ed up? What else would anyone suggest I do? Any expert advice, or help from someone
who's "been there, done that" would be much appreciated.