Extending visas

Old Jan 21st 2018, 2:59 am
Just Joined

Bluebell744 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Extending visas

I’m in the US on a B2 visitors visa which expires at the end of May. My partner has a J1 which expires at the same time as he finishes work here then. In October we applied to extend my B2 and change his status to a B2 for an extra 3 months as we want to do some travelling. Does anyone have any experience of doing this as we still haven’t heard if we can stay or not. I rang them but they said they were still working on July applications. Just wondering if it’s likely we’ll get the extension as family want to visit and are keen to book flights etc for June.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extending visas

Considered a short trip to Canada or Mexico?
Old Jan 21st 2018, 11:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Reason does not sound valid but seems to be taking longer than an extension would be valid for to get a reply, so as long as you have no plans to visit US again any time soon no harm.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply. Do you mean by ‘reason does not sound valid’ that you think our extension will be refused? I’ve been trying to read up on it online but there’s not much info on reasons for non acceptance apart from having been in trouble while here (which we haven’t!) My partner is more inclined to go ahead and book a holiday here as he’s convinced we will get the extension. I’m much more cautious and afraid to do anything but the wait is so long!
Old Jan 21st 2018, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

B2 is 6 months normally, end of May means you entered end of November?

Something I am not understanding, but extending a visa for more holiday when you have had 6 months seems a long shot.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 12:54 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

If the extension is refused (which is likely) then you'll get up in an overstay and it gets messy. I'd leave and return.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to all

If your extension is via I-539 form, these are taking 8 months to process
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

8 months!!! When I rang before Christmas they said they were working on July applications and ours were received in October so I was thinking I should hear in March. I've been here since the beginning of August on a B2. They gave me 9 months instead of the usual 6 because my partner had a 9 month contract to work at a university. He's on a J1 and as he's been working (and even though I'm on a B2) its not really been a holiday. We're in Iowa and just requested three extra months to do some travelling when his work finishes at the end of May. Now I'm feeling more convinced than ever that the application will be refused.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 3:10 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest that the sensible thing to do is to leave before the expiration of your DOS as noted on your B2.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to all

We have been waiting 243 days for an I539 extension to be approved, albeit on a L2 extension.
B's are likely taking longer
Old Jan 30th 2018, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

FYI
We have an approval I539Extension. Processing time was 251 days
Old Jan 30th 2018, 6:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Fred16
FYI
We have an approval I539Extension. Processing time was 251 days
Congrats
Old Jan 30th 2018, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

You give me hope Fred16! I'm just keeping my fingers crossed I hear something soon.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 3:29 am
Just Joined

I heard last week that my extension had been approved and I can stay until 1 September!!! So pleased as it's been such a worry. I did have to provide lots of information to prove I'd be leaving when I said I was. I even bought the tickets home.