Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Experiences at US Embassy in London?

Experiences at US Embassy in London?

Old Apr 11th 2018, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

britanya is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Experiences at US Embassy in London?

Hi All

I'm about to start my application for an artist O1 visa. I've been working very hard on it for almost a year, and in my opinion it's strong (i currently work at a hugely recognised brand and my work is viewed daily by millions, i have a great experience in this field behind that of over a decade, i've hard articles written about me, i have job offers from the US, etc). But I'm still really worried about the process because you just never know (my last visa renewal for a different kind of visa was denied totally unexpectedly which caused great upheaval in my life). So I'm trying to look at every possible issue now and make sure I address it.

Something I've heard on forums such as these, is that some people are being told to avoid the US London Embassy and instead book the embassy appointment abroad. This sounds risky to me, won't it look odd on my application that i live and have a job in london but am going abroad and have all of a sudden a new residence there to attend the embassy interview at?

Does the embassy appointment have to be made at the place where you live and work? Could I say i was booking an embassy appointment abroad because i was there on a trip?

Has anyone else heard of this, or had experiences or know of any bad experiences of recent visa denials from the US embassy in london? Specifically for O1 visas?
Old Apr 11th 2018, 5:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experiences at US Embassy in London?

I have never heard of this advice, unless it was in order to get an earlier interview date, and then Belfast is recommended.

In your situation, I would definitely go to London.

Why was your previous visa denied?

I assume you have an immigration attorney working on your curent case?

Rene
Old Apr 11th 2018, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britanya
Hi All

I'm about to start my application for an artist O1 visa. I've been working very hard on it for almost a year, and in my opinion it's strong (i currently work at a hugely recognised brand and my work is viewed daily by millions, i have a great experience in this field behind that of over a decade, i've hard articles written about me, i have job offers from the US, etc). But I'm still really worried about the process because you just never know (my last visa renewal for a different kind of visa was denied totally unexpectedly which caused great upheaval in my life). So I'm trying to look at every possible issue now and make sure I address it.

Something I've heard on forums such as these, is that some people are being told to avoid the US London Embassy and instead book the embassy appointment abroad. This sounds risky to me, won't it look odd on my application that i live and have a job in london but am going abroad and have all of a sudden a new residence there to attend the embassy interview at?

Does the embassy appointment have to be made at the place where you live and work? Could I say i was booking an embassy appointment abroad because i was there on a trip?

Has anyone else heard of this, or had experiences or know of any bad experiences of recent visa denials from the US embassy in london? Specifically for O1 visas?
Are you worried about the petition being denied or the visa in the passport?
Old Apr 11th 2018, 6:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Which visa were you using to live and work in the US if that was what you were doing in the past or was it simply a B visa for visiting? I can't imagine what other type of visa you held that would cause a great upheaval in your life.

What were the grounds for the denial of renewal? Is it something that might cause your O1 visa application to be denied rather than your talent and recognition in your field?

Rene replied to you about your question on the use of Belfast for a visa because of a somewhat shorter wait for an interview date. However, we have seen that was done for a waiver for ineligibility for a non-immigration visa. Is this the case for you? Don't know if this would apply to those who are applying for a non-immigration visa such as a L or O visa.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Ok thanks all.

Have you seen many others on this forum who were successful with their O visa applicants being granted via the Us London Embassy? I'm part of online groups where others ask advice on their visa applications and this issue about being told that London is too strict and are especially set to deny o-1 visas concerned me.

The visa i had before was an I Visa, it's a media visa given to members of the foreign press. The denial of that renewal was devastating, my whole life had to change immediately from that point. I don't know why it was denied. Everything was fine - i had worked for the same company for 5 years, doing the same job. The visa was granted easily. originally I gave them all the documentation that was needed. The application was put together by the company lawyer, nobody could foresee any issues. At the embassy they temporarily denied it to 'investigate further' but didn't ask me for any more documentation, nor did they contact my employer. The denial was 214b, which basically means it could be anything. So I don't know what their issue was, they never told me.

The implication on the 214b denial is that you may not be able to prove ties to your home country (which you do not need to do for the I visa) or prove that you are going there to do what you say you're going to do.

Last edited by britanya; Apr 11th 2018 at 9:35 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

and yes this new visa application is being overseen by a lawyer.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

My husband was successful in getting his O-1 visa at the London Consulate in 2010, 2nd one in 2013 and a renewal in 2016.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Islandmac79 is an unknown quantity at this point

We had our 01 visa approved at London (albeit 3.5 years ago) but we never encountered any issues nor heard any negative advice about applying through London. We are waiting for visa renewal. I feel your pain! Good luck � ����
Old Apr 12th 2018, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

hp82 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had an L1A approved a couple of days ago. My experience was pretty good but maybe I was lucky in terms of timings as I had a 12.30 appointment and was done by 13.15
Old Apr 12th 2018, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

thanks everyone. my experience at the embassy was good initially, a few years ago when i obtained my last visa. it was the renewal of that visa a year ago that was denied and the whole situation very confusing. and it was around that time i heard of people having issues.

i work for a globally recognised company, who often send their staff abroad and was told around that time many were having issues getting into the US, even the creative director. so i'm hoping it was a temporary thing due to all the immigration issues at that time.

if anybody else has been successful, or not, with their O1 at the london embassy then please do share
Old Apr 12th 2018, 8:00 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

My husband's O-1 was approved in London 4 years ago together with O-3 derivative visas for myself and our sons. It all went very smoothly, the I-140 was approved within a few days of submission (premium processing was paid for). If USCIS approve the I-140 and you raise no red flags on your DS-160 form I see no reason why London should be any better or worse than any other US consulate.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 12:37 am
Just Joined

gaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond repute

I had to go to the London Embassy back in 2012 when I was getting my L1-B. For some reason, I assumed that it would be best to dress in a suit and what-have-you, so I travelled down in the train in my jeans and scruffy t-shirt and got changed in the train station bathrooms once I got there. The smartest shoes I had were the ones I'd got for my (failed) marriage some years previously. It was a tight fit but I got them on, dumped my bag in a locker and headed off to the Embassy.

Couple of Tube rides later and I'm walking up to it when, predictably, the heels of my barely worn shoes started sawing their way through my Achilles tendons. So i stop at Boots, get some plasters, nip into a Starbucks bathroom and patch myself up. By the time I got to the chemist to drop off my phone and stuff, I was in a considerable amount of pain and because of the unexpected stop at Boots, was worried I was running late.

I power through, get to the embassy and got called to the window when the guy went over my application. Nightmare! I'd forgotten to check one of the boxes ... the one about having High School education. The guy says he's unlocked my application and sent me to the Chemists, who I was assured would be able to help. So off I go. In quite a bit of pain. Get to the Chemist, get a computer and ... the application is still locked. So back I go to the embassy. In a bit more pain. Oops, says the guy. That's it definitely unlocked now. Back to the Chemist. Practically crying now. Fix the application. Back to the embassy. Crying now. All good. Actually get to the interview where I'm asked five questions and the application is approved.

Bought a pair of trainers on the way back to the train station.

So yeah. I have mixed feelings about the US Embassy in London.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 1:44 am
Just Joined

riverink is an unknown quantity at this point

You may be understandably nervous about such a serious issue, and reading too much into which embassy you go to. The London one, especially the new one, has always treated me fairly and efficiently. I can't imagine it being any better elsewhere.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 6:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I also know people who have O's.

And have seen similar comments about London, I think it is because they see quite a few iffy applications.
Old May 3rd 2018, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

meganburrell123 is an unknown quantity at this point

How long was your interview?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.