Expediting First US passport

Old Dec 4th 2017, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Expediting First US passport

Ok, so oath ceremony scheduled for 12.11.
Whats the fastest way to get a US passport following the ceremony? Ive just had a parent been taken ill so I'm figuring 'Im going to have to travel kind of asap after the oath ceremony is taken and I know that has to be on a new US passport. We are resident in Indiana. I am not aware if passport processing is available at ceremonies in Indianapolis, Im thinkning not.

Has anyone used the passport services expedited services? And what was your experience of that?
Old Dec 4th 2017, 12:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expediting First US passport

Postpone your oath ceremony, it can wait.
Old Dec 4th 2017, 12:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

We did an expedited first passport in Phoenix AZ back in 2009. Took about a week to come in the mail.

But I agree with Pulaski, you can postpone the oath ceremony.

Rene
Old Dec 4th 2017, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, erm, its not a life and death situation - at the moment. So part of me agrees I should postpone and the other half just wants to get it over and done with - the oath that is.
Id found some resources on line that claimed they could expedite in 24 hours but I couldnt confirm that with US govt passport agencies site.
Im sure Ive heard ancedotally that it can be done in 24 hours if you visited a passport agencies processing office - ours would be in Chicago.
However, am I barking up the wrong tree with that? Anyone heard the same? The official website gives a 2-3 week lead time for expedited.
Old Dec 4th 2017, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

I naturalized at the end of September and had a business trip planned for the start of November so I got my US passport via the expedited service through the Post Office. It took exactly two weeks from submitting the application to delivery of my new passport.
Old Dec 4th 2017, 2:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Is the spouse going with you? Perhaps they can mail the US passport to you in the UK when it arrives so you can enter the US with the correct passport.

I've used the same day expedited passport service in NYC several years ago. Don't know if it is still available at US passport offices.

Check to see if it is at all possible to get a one time paper passport from the US Consulate. If you had applied for the passport and have the documentation showing that you had applied, perhaps that is a way to go.
Old Dec 4th 2017, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I've used the same day expedited passport service in NYC several years ago. Don't know if it is still available at US passport offices.
I guess you mean the 1-2 day apply in person service at a passport office? Yes that is still available, I considered doing it but decided regular by mail expedited would suffice for me. OP says tho they're in ID and would have to go to Chicago to use it, which might not be so practical for them.
Old Dec 4th 2017, 3:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
I guess you mean the 1-2 day apply in person service at a passport office? Yes that is still available, I considered doing it but decided regular by mail expedited would suffice for me. OP says tho they're in ID and would have to go to Chicago to use it, which might not be so practical for them.
When I did it, it was same day in-person at the Passport Office in Rockefeller Center if you had a ticket and were traveling within 5 days. Of course, all things change and it is probably now 1-2 days. Hubby used the Passport Office in White Plains, NY and received his back in less than one week from application. He only went in person as he was hoping not to have to leave his naturalization certificate. Alas, he had to leave it anyway and it was returned in a separate envelope from his passport.
Old Dec 4th 2017, 3:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Our local courthouse offered a courier service. Hubby had a biz trip booked and received his PP within 48 hours.
Old Dec 4th 2017, 7:20 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of months ago I naturalized on the Thursday, had my passport in hand on Friday and left the country on Saturday. This was all done efficiently and painlessly at the Hudson Street Passport Office in New York City. Check with your local passport office and see if you can make an appointment the same day as your oath ceremony (as I did) and whether they offer overnight processing.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kateinbrooklyn
A couple of months ago I naturalized on the Thursday, had my passport in hand on Friday and left the country on Saturday. This was all done efficiently and painlessly at the Hudson Street Passport Office in New York City. Check with your local passport office and see if you can make an appointment the same day as your oath ceremony (as I did) and whether they offer overnight processing.
Thanks, did you have to have and show proof of travel documents, like a plane ticket? We reside in IN and our nearest passport office is a three hour drive away but its still worth exploring as an option.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 2:18 am
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry - I should have mentioned that I did have to show print outs of my flight itinerary. Perhaps your situation might qualify as a "life or death emergency" and you could get it expedited. I have heard reports of people getting passports printed out the same day, so it is possible. Just try to call ahead and definitely make an appointment if that's an option. https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ergencies.html

My dealings with the passport office was in sharp contrast to all the horrendous and incompetent bureaucracy and customer service from government agencies that I have had to put up with over the years.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kateinbrooklyn
Sorry - I should have mentioned that I did have to show print outs of my flight itinerary. Perhaps your situation might qualify as a "life or death emergency" and you could get it expedited. I have heard reports of people getting passports printed out the same day, so it is possible. Just try to call ahead and definitely make an appointment if that's an option. https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ergencies.html

My dealings with the passport office was in sharp contrast to all the horrendous and incompetent bureaucracy and customer service from government agencies that I have had to put up with over the years.
Lol,me too, I'm always nervous about having anything to do with US govt offices following my "journey" with USCIS.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Adnams
Lol,me too, I'm always nervous about having anything to do with US govt offices following my "journey" with USCIS.
USCIS are a breeze compared to the DMV.