Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

ESTA "Travel not Authorized" no idea why!

ESTA "Travel not Authorized" no idea why!

Old Oct 19th 2012, 9:14 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ESTA "Travel not Authorized" no idea why!

Originally Posted by Steve_
I didn't say it was going away, I said it would be a moot point, what I meant was you're going to be subject to the same degree of checking, so you won't just be able to show up at a POE with some BS story as to why you're coming into Canada and if you're not Canadian or American you'll also have to be pre-approved for entry. I.e. it won't be any easier.

CBP and CBSA do check with each other now, for example if you're denied entry then that is automatically reported back to the other side so they can deal with it if you're a fugitive or whatever.

In the future though the entry records will be available without request, so if you're spinning one story on one side and another on the other, they'll know you're trying to game it.

E.g. you tell one side you're just visiting, you tell the other side all the tools in your car are from your job that you were doing and so they're exempt from duty. So you show up again and say you're visiting - er... says here you were working, where's your work authorization?

The whole idea of the agreement is to have a common standard for border controls, so you can't be a terrorist and enter Canada and then try and get into the US at a land border. So the US becomes more trusting and places less restrictions on movement of goods and people because they're pre-checked. For example cargo won't have to be inspected twice.

However I personally think it will become a bit of a double-edged sword because the border people will have more information they can make peoples lives a misery with. I suspect I will be reading a lot more stories like this: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...erblocked.html
I would not expect that Canada would deny someone a "CETA" just because the person was denied an ESTA. A criminal, perhaps but not a 214(b).

Also, how would you define a "flagpole"?
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 3:39 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markwm
Seriously? If you're planning to come here and ghost across the border to start your life in the dark underbelly of society with all of the other 'undocumented aliens' are you really going to be that bothered about a one way ticket and crappy airlines?

On the other hand, sounds like you have direct experience of the process. Where is the number for the border patrol when you need it?
I meant if you were trying to avoid ESTA and get a determination at the POE, not doing it illegally. It's not as simple as flying to Vancouver and driving down to Peace Arch. Of course you can do it but it's more complex and expensive.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 3:49 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
I would not expect that Canada would deny someone a "CETA" just because the person was denied an ESTA. A criminal, perhaps but not a 214(b).

Also, how would you define a "flagpole"?
Well listening to the US ambassador to Canada describe it, they're going to make it as similar as possible. Like I said, the purpose of the exercise is to harmonize border controls so that when person or cargo X enters Canada or the US they are dealt with as similarly as possible. Obviously there will be some differences as the laws are slightly different, but the point is the databases are the same, so the decisions will generally be similar. If you've been denied for ESTA for example I'm sure that will cause some hard thinking before you get the Canadian approval.

Flagpole means to leave and re-enter for whatever purpose, obviously the more information the border people have there is a greater potential for difficulties in dealing with them. Or not, it's a double-edged sword. If you as a third country national need to be approved to enter either country and they can see each others entry records that will make flagpoling more difficult, I assume.

Anyway the ambassador said they will have a pilot programme in place for cargo by the end of the year and they will progress from there.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 7:08 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Flagpole means to leave and re-enter for whatever purpose, obviously the more information the border people have there is a greater potential for difficulties in dealing with them. Or not, it's a double-edged sword. If you as a third country national need to be approved to enter either country and they can see each others entry records that will make flagpoling more difficult, I assume.

It will be interesting to see how much they can harmonize the process. The criminal inadmissibilities of each country couldn't be more different.

Canada requires people to "flagpole" so I don't see how the agreement would impact the "flagpole" process.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Trip_a...lagpole-Canada