Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

ESTA not authorised & B2 VISA 4 Months in Administrative Processing

ESTA not authorised & B2 VISA 4 Months in Administrative Processing

Old Jun 12th 2017, 4:36 am
Just Joined

browncat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ESTA not authorised & B2 VISA 4 Months in Administrative Processing

Hello everyone, I came across this forum while looking for info online and hope there is someone who may have some advice or has encountered a similar situation.

I applied for ESTA for a 2 week holiday and was denied "travel not authorised"
I have no criminal record and an uncommon English name. I am eligible for ESTA and answered "no" to all questions. I am not born in, nor have I ever travelled to any middle Eastern country. This was to be my first trip overseas.

I don't know if the address I am staying at ( a muslim friend) in the US had any bearing on my application, but I don't know what went wrong.

Upon advice from ESTA helpline, I applied for a B2 Tourist VISA. I attended my interview and was told that it would take a couple of weeks to find out what happened with ESTA and I was put under Admin Processing. They asked for no documents eventhough I took all sorts with me.

Its now 4 months later and I am still under Admin Processing.

Is it usual that it would take this long?

Thankyou for any advice
Old Jun 12th 2017, 5:14 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ESTA not authorised & B2 VISA 4 Months in Administrative Processing

Admin Processing can take anywhere from a couple of months to a couple of years. There is no way to get updates on the case. If you inquire, you'll just be told the case is processing, no details. Even if they tell you a time frame, it could take longer.

Rene
Old Jun 12th 2017, 5:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Admin Processing can take anywhere from a couple of months to a couple of years. There is no way to get updates on the case. If you inquire, you'll just be told the case is processing, no details. Even if they tell you a time frame, it could take longer.

Rene
Yes, its so frustrating, I can't help but wonder if the address of contact in the USA had some bearing on the initial ESTA denial.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 6:30 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by browncat
Yes, its so frustrating, I can't help but wonder if the address of contact in the USA had some bearing on the initial ESTA denial.
That is certainly a possibility, especially if your friend had come under scrutiny by homeland security for any reason.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 6:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
That is certainly a possibility, especially if your friend had come under scrutiny by homeland security for any reason.
My friend does have a common Muslim surname, though is a US citizen born in the USA. I don't know if they vet things like that or not.
Thanks for your post
Old Jun 12th 2017, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

My friend does have a common Muslim surname, though is a US citizen born in the USA. I don't know if they vet things like that or not.
Thanks for your post
Yes, it really wouldn't surprise me at all.

Sorry you've found yourself in this situation by apparently no fault of your own.

Only thing to do is wait.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 5:12 am
Just Joined

Just thought I would give an update.

Well, there really isn't one, and I have now been stuck in Administrative Processing for close to 8 months, with no updates whatsoever to CEAC tracker. ( still shows original interview date).
Consulate tells me nothing, just that they have no updates.

My trip in June was cancelled, and now I am just stuck in limbo waiting.

Does anyone know whether or not I can reapply for ESTA, ( whilst still stuck in Admin processing) now that so long has gone by?

Many thanks for any help.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 5:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can but expect the same result.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 5:40 am
Just Joined

Yes, I wondered about that.
I cannot help but wonder why it takes this long, surely they have computers and the Agencies talk to each other. The whole process is baffling.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 5:44 am
Account Closed

For whatever reason your situation is outside the Computers etc system. Agencies talk to each other?
Old Oct 14th 2017, 6:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
For whatever reason your situation is outside the Computers etc system. Agencies talk to each other?
The whole thing is difficult to understand, since I am eligible for ESTA to start with. Yes, agencies, meaning the security vetting Govt Departments etc. I'm surprised with todays technology that this takes so long, not sure if they have too many applications and not enough staff or what the issue is. It would be great if the Consulate could provide updates, but they too have nothing to offer as to the timeline.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

They can tell you it is under AP, that is a sort of update.

There is a long spiel but it is a multi agency thingy and in many ways US Gov agencies are somewhat dysfunctional. We all have our examples.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 2:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You can always try again since your B2 request has not been denied so you don't have to answer yes to that question. I would leave off the contact name you have previously given.
Old Jul 27th 2018, 3:08 am
Just Joined

Rimcricket is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone, I came across this forum while looking for info online and hope there is someone who may have some advice or has encountered a similar situation.

I applied for ESTA for a 2 week holiday and was denied "travel not authorised"
I have no criminal record and an uncommon English name. I am eligible for ESTA and answered "no" to all questions. I am not born in, nor have I ever travelled to any middle Eastern country. This was to be my first trip overseas.

I don't know if the address I am staying at ( a muslim friend) in the US had any bearing on my application, but I don't know what went wrong.

Upon advice from ESTA helpline, I applied for a B2 Tourist VISA. I attended my interview and was told that it would take a couple of weeks to find out what happened with ESTA and I was put under Admin Processing. They asked for no documents eventhough I took all sorts with me.

Its now 4 months later and I am still under Admin Processing.

Is it usual that it would take this long?

Thankyou for any advice
did you eventually get your visa ? Kinda on the same boat now..
Old Jul 27th 2018, 5:16 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rimcricket

did you eventually get your visa ? Kinda on the same boat now..
Hi Rimcricket,

You have responded to a few old threads here. My suggestion is to start your own thread, giving the details of your own case, and asking your own questions.

Rene