Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

ESTA denial - emergency please help

ESTA denial - emergency please help

Old Jun 29th 2017, 4:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ESTA denial - emergency please help

There was always a shadow of a doubt. People were just unaware of the entire processing and possibilities.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 5:24 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
There was always a shadow of a doubt. People were just unaware of the entire processing and possibilities.
I wonder if the insurance companies will now start offering coverage for "Trump's immigration whims"?
Old Jun 29th 2017, 6:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I wonder if the insurance companies will now start offering coverage for "Trump's immigration whims"?
His "immigration whims" don't impact the VWP. He has introduce a narrowly defined restriction on a defined segment of the population of six countries all citizens of which required visas anyway, and which in any case I suspect are not the source of a material number of tourists to the US.
Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
.... People used to think that getting their ESTA/VWP whatever to visit the USA meant that they were absolutely going to get in without trouble and have their expensive vacation at disney. Since the world at large has been made painfully aware that there is no guarantee, they are choosing not to take that risk.

I'd think twice about spending £10k on a family holiday if there was even a shadow of doubt about my ability to get my family through the border control.
One instance hit the media a few months ago. Are you aware of thousands of unreported similar cases?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 29th 2017 at 6:27 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 8:09 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RW781227
She fears she might've been denied for checking "yes" on the mental health portion of the ESTA (she suffers from depression)
Urgh!

Why check yes to that question? Just say NO. The question is all about harm to yourself or others. She's just a bit down.
Personally, I'd take a trip over the land border, then get to the nearest US airport and fly domestically.

You live and learn.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

aless02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond repute

Why on earth did she tick yes? Did she fully read the question? It's not about having depression, it's about being a danger to herself or society. No advice on how to move forward, but PLEASE read all questions fully before ticking willy-nilly.

Best of luck for her.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 6:01 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Can't you (try to) cross at a land border without having an ESTA? Don't you pay at the border and answer the same questions as ESTA there?
Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
The ESTA system is only for air and sea arrivals. So you are correct that she could cross by land here at Blaine, WA and pay the $6 land crossing fee for VWP eligible travelers.
Hold your horses. Although someone can seek entry at a land border without first applying for an ESTA, that does not mean they are supposed to seek entry under the VWP after ESTA is denied. It's two different issues. It would make no sense to have a system for preauthorization to prevent problems from arriving at the border and then invite them all to come through Mexico or Canada.

From the Official CBP Site:

"A traveler who is not eligible for ESTA is not eligible for travel under the Visa Waiver Program and should apply for a nonimmigrant visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate."
Old Jun 30th 2017, 6:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
Hold your horses. ....
I guess you missed the bit (which you quoted) where I said "answer the same questions".

I certainly did not mean to suggest that if your ESTA application is rejected you can just wander over the border from Canada.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 6:14 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

I guess you missed the bit (which you quoted) where I said "answer the same questions".

I certainly did not mean to suggest that if your ESTA application is rejected you can just wander over the border from Canada.
Apologies, if it gave the impression that you endorsed that information, as it was not my intent. I included it in the quote for context. However, answering the questions at the border on the green form doesn't resurrect the denied ESTA. It still exists.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by crg
Apologies, if it gave the impression that you endorsed that information, as it was not my intent. I included it in the quote for context. However, answering the questions at the border on the green form doesn't resurrect the denied ESTA. It still exists.
Correct. I had heard that presenting to a CBP in person might generate a different response than "Computer says no" from a resubmitted ESTA application.

I do not know how likely that is, but given the choice between resubmitting an ESTA application and going to the border in person, I would hazard a guess that your chances are better at the border than resubmitting an ESTA application.
Old Jul 1st 2017, 3:19 am
crg
American Expat

Correct. I had heard that presenting to a CBP in person might generate a different response than "Computer says no" from a resubmitted ESTA application.

I do not know how likely that is, but given the choice between resubmitting an ESTA application and going to the border in person, I would hazard a guess that your chances are better at the border than resubmitting an ESTA application.
It's unclear. Perhaps the ESTA help desk can fix it. A very small percentage of depressed people are actually inadmissible. I suspect the applicant should have read the help section before clicking "yes".Nobody knows what may happen at the actual border considering this person isn't likely inadmissible on health grounds.