Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

ESTA denial - emergency please help

ESTA denial - emergency please help

Old Jun 28th 2017, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

RW781227 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ESTA denial - emergency please help

So my girlfriend (23 y.o. British citizen) has been in Victoria, BC. since the end of May.

She was planning on coming to visit me (24 y.o. US citizen) in Boulder, Colorado from July 4th until July 28th.

Yesterday we applied for her ESTA and this morning discovered she has been denied. With her travel date coming up in only 6 days, we're both kind of panicking at the moment. Is there anything we can do? We're pretty sure she filled everything out correctly and she has no criminal background. She fears she might've been denied for checking "yes" on the mental health portion of the ESTA (she suffers from depression) but I'm not 100% convinced. We're both somewhat broke and with travel coming up in 6 days we really can't afford to apply for a B2 visa or anything like that. I've heard of people reapplying for the ESTA and it being approved almost right away. Would this work? I'm very confused as to why she would've been denied. She's only supposed to be coming for 24 days and does not intend to stay any longer. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 7:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ESTA denial - emergency please help

So she has never visited the USA before? This was her first ESTA application?

I don't know why it would be denied either, but she can try reapplying and see what happens.

Maybe you'll have to go see her instead.

Rene
Old Jun 28th 2017, 9:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Why did she tick yes to having mental health problems? Has she been committed to a hospital for depression? Has she become a danger to herself or to others because of this condition. At least 1/4 of the world is depressed. As others have noted, I would reapply for a new ESTA and see what happens.

BTW, "we" didn't apply; she applied.

Wonder if her denial has anything to do with the fact that she is visiting Canada (unless you can tell us that she as a visa to live there).

Last edited by Rete; Jun 28th 2017 at 9:15 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 9:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

With respect - I'm still trying to figure out why this is an emergency? It's not a life/death situation... merely an inconvenience.

Ian
Old Jun 28th 2017, 10:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Can't you (try to) cross at a land border without having an ESTA? Don't you pay at the border and answer the same questions as ESTA there?

You might try posting the same question in the Canadian forum as they have actual experience of entering the US from Canada.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 11:35 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Can't you (try to) cross at a land border without having an ESTA? Don't you pay at the border and answer the same questions as ESTA there?

You might try posting the same question in the Canadian forum as they have actual experience of entering the US from Canada.
The ESTA system is only for air and sea arrivals. So you are correct that she could cross by land here at Blaine, WA and pay the $6 land crossing fee for VWP eligible travelers.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 11:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
So you are correct that she could cross by land here at Blaine, WA..
True - but that may not help since it seems she has tickets to fly. Also, at a land border she'd need to complete an I-94W which asks the same questions.

... and pay the $6 land crossing fee for VWP eligible travelers.
It's still unclear whether she is, in fact, VWP eligible.

Ian
Old Jun 29th 2017, 1:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I assumed she would be flying. I assume it is due to her psychiatric issue.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 2:47 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
True - but that may not help since it seems she has tickets to fly. ....
Well it's an "emergency" so I am sure she would be willing to give up the tickets.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 3:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Tour Divide 2017 live tracker by trackleaders.com

Bike?
Old Jun 29th 2017, 11:07 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well it's an "emergency" so I am sure she would be willing to give up the tickets.
Exactly. She wouldn't be the first person to buy flight tickets and not use them.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 11:09 am
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Why people buy tickets before having a valid visa, esta etc I will never understand.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 3:45 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by az2014
Why people buy tickets before having a valid visa, esta etc I will never understand.
really?

Because most people don't think they will have a problem. Don't worry, when you've been in the USA long enough you will realise that there are plenty of places you can be unknowingly tripped up by immigration rules.

I feel very sorry for this young person's plight and I hope she gets it sorted out.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by az2014
Probably because they're used to wandering into France or Spain, or any other country in the European Onion, whenever the mood takes them without any real risk of being turned away.

And it's presumably the same reason that many people think they can just move to Florida to live, the same way that people move to Spain.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 29th 2017 at 3:53 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 4:13 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if anyone has been looking at the US tourist industry figures lately...

Trump slump: Drop in American tourism is costing US billions | The Independent

People used to think that getting their ESTA/VWP whatever to visit the USA meant that they were absolutely going to get in without trouble and have their expensive vacation at disney. Since the world at large has been made painfully aware that there is no guarantee, they are choosing not to take that risk.

I'd think twice about spending £10k on a family holiday if there was even a shadow of doubt about my ability to get my family through the border control.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.