Esta Declined

Old Sep 29th 2016, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

geoff_n is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Esta Declined

Hello,

My esta was declined as I answered Q2 incorrectly, I know this can't be corrected and I need to apply for a Visa now..

I do have a Canadian eTA however and want to travel by Amtrak from Vancouver to Seattle. Will this be possible on an I94W or I am just wasting my time and facing being refused entry ?

Many thanks.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Esta Declined

If you already had means of entering the US, why would you apply for ESTA?

Possible? Yes. Legal? No.

The chances of getting caught may be slim, but there is always the risk of being turned away at the border.

It's up to you if you want to risk it bearing in mind that if you do get refused entry, it may affect any future application.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 3:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geoff_n
I know this can't be corrected...
Sure it can. Start here.

Will this be possible on an I94W or I am just wasting my time and facing being refused entry ?
If you can document that you entered an incorrect response, completing an I-94W at the border should be fine. Try to correct ESTA first, though.

Ian
Old Sep 29th 2016, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the feedback.

I have called and emailed CBP. As I answered Q2 incorrectly, it can't be corrected:-

Unfortunately we are unable to reconsider the application and reapplying will not correct the issue. When you check "yes" to a question on the application you must confirm the answer through a pop up which asks, "Are you sure you wish to answer yes to this question?" Additionally every applicant must check the certification box at the end of the application indicating that all information being submitted is true and correct.

We recommend that applicants review their information on the review screen during the application process and correct any erroneous information before submission by clicking the "Previous" button to edit information.
We were previously able to review a criminal history and make a determination but we no longer have that ability.

If you have been denied an ESTA travel authorization, you may be able to obtain a visa from the Department of State. Visa applications are made at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Please visit the United States Department of State web site at www.travel.state.gov for additional information about applying for a visa. An ESTA denial does not deny entry into the United States. This response only prohibits traveling under the Visa Waiver Program.

We are flying to Canada for a holiday ( have the eTA for Canada ) and then want to go to Seattle by Amtrak for 3 days before returning by Amtrak, hence the question re the I94W.

Thanks.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so you have the means to enter Canada but not the US. In this case, you do NOT have any way of legally entering the States, so no, I would not suggest you even try to cross the border without attempting to either correct the ESTA application or obtain a B1 visa.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 4:25 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

We are flying to Canada for a holiday ( have the eTA for Canada ) and then want to go to Seattle by Amtrak for 3 days before returning by Amtrak, hence the question re the I94W.
You are always free to seek permission to enter the US at the border. If the CBP officer believes your story, he has the authority to allow you to enter the US. If he doesn't believe you, he has the equal authority to deny you entry.

If you have the time, you should consider applying for a B-2 visitor visa.

Ian
Old Sep 29th 2016, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks.

We don't have time to get the B-2 I'm afraid.

The Amtrak website states:-

Travelers crossing from Canada into the U.S. on Amtrak Cascades trains AND are NOT U.S. or Canadian citizens nor have a valid visa, MUST have an approved ESTA, otherwise a paper form CBP I-94 will be required. If you are a VWP (Visa Waiver Program) traveler, this applies to you. (Amtrak Cascades trains do not fall under the U.S. CBP “Land Border Crossing” definition.)
Old Sep 29th 2016, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

boltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond reputeboltonreddave has a reputation beyond repute

Am I not right in thinking that you don't need an ESTA when entering the US at a land border point?
Old Sep 29th 2016, 8:18 pm
Account Closed

We don't have time to get the B-2 I'm afraid.
In that case, you won't be going to Seattle. Sorry!

Ian
Old Sep 29th 2016, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by boltonreddave
Am I not right in thinking that you don't need an ESTA when entering the US at a land border point?
Yes, but the Amtrak train does not pass a land border point... so, in this case, no.

Ian
Old Sep 30th 2016, 12:39 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes, but the Amtrak train does not pass a land border point... so, in this case, no.

Ian
Could you explain that to me, Ian. I know when I take the train from Montreal to New York, the train stops, officials come onboard and we have had to show our passport or if you are an American at time your driver's license. Others on the train had to leave and reboard after being taken to the office for paperwork. So how does the train from Vancouver to Seattle not pass a land border point?
Old Sep 30th 2016, 12:54 am
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Could you explain that to me, Ian. I know when I take the train from Montreal to New York, the train stops, officials come onboard and we have had to show our passport or if you are an American at time your driver's license. Others on the train had to leave and reboard after being taken to the office for paperwork. So how does the train from Vancouver to Seattle not pass a land border point?
Post #7. States the answer on the website.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 12:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rete
So how does the train from Vancouver to Seattle not pass a land border point?
I'm sorry, I should have been more precise. Passengers pre-clear immigration in Vancouver when they board... the same as if they were flying from an airport. IIRC, once the train leaves Vancouver, BC the first stop is at Fairhaven, WA... no stop at the border.

Ian
Old Sep 30th 2016, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Thanks to those who have responded.

It's looking very unlikely that we will go ahead, but I am tempted to try and ask for some advice at the train station from US border officials. I assume a declined esta also means a declined I94W - as it's effectively a visa waiver and a declined esta means you can't enter through VWP.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

I assume a declined esta also means a declined I94W - as it's effectively a visa waiver and a declined esta means you can't enter through VWP.
ESTA is permission to travel... nothing more than that. Travel. When you get to the US border you ask permission to enter on the VWP. A declined ESTA does not automatically translate to a declined permission to enter on the VWP. For travelers who fly to the US, a declined ESTA means they either get a B-2 visa or don't go - for the simple reason that they can't get on the plane in the first place. For travelers at a land border crossing, you can still seek permission to enter the US.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.