Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Entry Into USA / Refused Entry In Canada Once?

Entry Into USA / Refused Entry In Canada Once?

Old Jan 28th 2018, 6:19 pm
ST1
Just Joined

ST1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Entry Into USA / Refused Entry In Canada Once?

Hey guys,

Might not be the right section so apologies if not, I'm looking for some general advice, bit of a weird situation/long story, will try to keep it short lol

Basically about 7 years ago now I entered an online/long distance relationship, me in the UK, her in Canada, as things progressed we decided to meet, that I would go to Canada etc. When I got there and so on I told the border agent I would be staying with her and when he asked for her name and details etc, he informed me that her and her family were illegally in the country and had previously been deported. As a result, I wasn't denied entry as such, I was told I couldn't enter this time as I didn't have a hotel etc booked, so the agent DIDN'T stamp my passport.. safe to say this was the end of the relationship lol

I returned to Canada about a year later my parents felt bad that I didn't get to have the holiday so my mom and me went back to Canada for a week, I was pulled to one side because of last time and asked questions etc, but I had a hotel booked, spending money, letter from employer back home etc, so the agent give me an authorized pass stating I could stay until the return flight home basically.., and everything was fine. After enjoying it as much as I did, I decided to go back about 3 years ago, again was pulled aside, but was let in without restriction (only stayed a week again).

Me and my current girlfriend are saving to go to Louisiana next year, but I'm just wondering if because of that past experience in Canada, will this be a cause of concern for being stopped and questioned on this on arrival in the US? I assume they share their border info for things like this?

Thanks for reading and thanks for any info.
Old Jan 28th 2018, 6:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entry Into USA / Refused Entry In Canada Once?

Should not be a problem. Different country and all.

All you need is an approved ESTA.

Rene
Old Jan 28th 2018, 7:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

While the US and Canada are joined by a common border, your entry, as Rene stated, should be allowed as long as you and the gf have approved ESTA's and are able enter under the Visa Waiver Program.

Do not overstay your allowed entry, have funds available to show you have enough funds for your trip, and if asked, have a clear itinerary.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 5:58 pm
ST1
Just Joined

ST1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both of you.

I think it plays on my mind a bit after being stopped once you sort of think it will happen all the time, especially after a long flight etc.

As you mentioned on the itinerary etc I usually make that a priority to have at hand for attractions around the area that we plan on visiting etc. Thank you again both of you.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 10:05 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Just generally the advice given here is not correct, the US most certainly does care about denials of entry to Canada and frequently takes action because of them, but in this specific instance it's highly unlikely to be a problem given the circumstances.

I don't think most people realize how closely connected the US and Canadian systems are, since around 2012 the entry systems have been linked in relation to third-country nationals and starting next year they'll be linked for everyone. Even before 2012 all they had to do was pick up the phone and ask the question and CBSA would usually give CBP the information, the difference now is that it's automatic and shows up immediately on their screens.

CBP helped design the Canadian ETA system, if you get turned down for an ETA you're definitely getting turned down for ESTA and almost certainly vice-versa (Canada will allow certain people in that the US won't).

I just think it's going to be utter chaos next year when they widen the entry system sharing to US and Canadian citizens. All of these bullshit stories people give as to why they went from one country to another or evidence of overstays is going to be at their fingertips.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 10:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Just generally the advice given here is not correct, the US most certainly does care about denials of entry to Canada and frequently takes action because of them, but in this specific instance it's highly unlikely to be a problem given the circumstances.
Just to correct the above, neither myself nor Rene said that the US didn't care or that they do not have access to Canadian records. As a wife of a Canadian, I am familiar with the sharing of information between the two countries.

The young man's entry refusal was 7 years ago and not due to anything he did but rather that he was purporting to visit someone who had since been deported from Canada and he has visited Canada twice since that time with only a cursory inspection at the POE. His entry to the US would either be "enjoy your visit" and a quick question as to his refused entry 7 years prior to Canada.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 10:27 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Look I'm the reader and that's how "different country and all" comes across to me. What they're attempting to do is make it a common travel security area with fully shared information so it definitely does matter if you were previously denied entry to Canada.

I agree he's not likely to have a problem but it's not something to be dismissive of.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 12:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Certainly assume that the US knows about it and take into account you may be asked about it.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 2:45 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see the US getting too excited about something Canada has apparently gotten over. Of course, admissibility decisions are made by individuals based on the totality of circumstances.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

After reading several threads on here about US Immigration procedures it sometimes appears to me that when entering the USA and not a US Citizen or USLPR you are at the mercy of the examining officer and they can deny you entry and some of these reasons for denial of entry would not be accepted in Canada or some other countries.
Now Im not suggesting that if you showed up at the US border wearing a large floppy hat, artificial flowers around your neck, tied dyed t shirt and wide flared trousers and sandals that they would refuse you entry but hey what do I know. It has even been suggested that the reasons given for denial of entry are sometimes vague or not even given at all and just some number from a piece of legislation like 214(b).
https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/...-0-0-3422.html

Now Im not suggesting either that US officers just deny entry to someone willy nilly and because they can but the US certainly has different rules and especially with the CMT “crime of moral turpitude” provisions.

This is what was happening a few months ago across the Northern Border with Canadians and Permanent Residents of Canada.
Quite a few were denied entry because they admitted to having smoked marijuana at some stage. BOOM denied entry CMT offence.
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-...canada-border/

Now the Canadians and I suspect the UK and a few other countries would never entertain denying entry to a person admitting that they smoked a joint or 2 several years ago. Now granted Canada would likely refuse them entry if they had been convicted in a court of law for possession, trafficking, import/export or manufacture of marijuana but thats a whole different matter as they have been convicted of the offence.
Im not suggesting either that Canada's admission laws or not without fault either especially when dealing with financial funds or medical requirements but these type of cases don't happen every day and there are policies to follow if encountering such a case.

Now as for encountering people who have been denied into another country and then wanting to enter Canada and I know about it then the reasons for their denial could become relevant or have no bearing on them seeking entry into Canada.
Example The person had been refused entry into the USA as they didn't have a visa.
1st question does that person need a visa to enter Canada? If no then not relevant. If Yes do they have the visa and if they have Welcome To Canada.

I have no problems with countries who refuse entry to people who don't have a legal right to enter however if you are going to refuse a person make it clear why they have been refused and tell them rather than just the I don't need to tell you.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 7:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't the Canadians have major issues with DUI's?

Not sure I have come across anybody who did not know the real reason they were refused, often it seems like pulling teeth to get them to admit it.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Don't the Canadians have major issues with DUI's?

Not sure I have come across anybody who did not know the real reason they were refused, often it seems like pulling teeth to get them to admit it.
I wouldn't call it a major issue as DUI is a criminal offence in Canada so if convicted outside of Canada it makes you inadmissible. Now this can be overcome by a variety of means if eligible or the examining officer wishes to give you a break knowing that you are inadmissible which are too lengthy to explain.
You should be told that you are inadmissible under section 36(2)(b) of the Immigration & Refugee Protection act for criminality. At this point the officer could ask you to voluntarily withdraw your application to enter Canada and send you home, give you the opportunity to appear at an Admissibility Hearing and if found inadmissible be issued with a Deportation Order or have the inadmissibility overcome through issuance of a Temporary Resident Permit which could cost $200, an application for rehabilitation after 5 years since the sentence was completed in full or if only the one DUI offence deem you rehabilitated after 10 years since sentence was completed.

Now believe it or not a a single conviction for possession of marijuana of less than 30 grammes in the US would not make you inadmissible into Canada but if entering the USA they treat it like you have been caught in possession of plutonium 239.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 1:53 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
There is a ton wrong with that article.

Smoking or simply possessing marijuana is not a CIMT offense. It is a controlled substance violation (separate ground of inadmissibility).

Perhaps they had someone working the border who didn't know what they were doing.