Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Entering US from Canada - Impact on VWP?

Entering US from Canada - Impact on VWP?

Old Jun 7th 2016, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

sq85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Entering US from Canada - Impact on VWP?

I plan to visit Canada for 2-3 weeks before entering the US where I will be flying in on the VWP for up to 90 days.

I'm aware that once entering the US, visiting Canada is inclusive in the 90 days VWP process.

However, i've not found anything which explains what happens if I visit Canada first, then enter the US for up to 90 days? Does my time in Canada count towards the 90 days before crossing the US border?

Thanks
Old Jun 7th 2016, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering US from Canada - Impact on VWP?

My understanding is that the VWP 90 days start from the time you enter the US to the time that you permanently leave.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 5:20 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sq85
I plan to visit Canada for 2-3 weeks before entering the US where I will be flying in on the VWP for up to 90 days.

I'm aware that once entering the US, visiting Canada is inclusive in the 90 days VWP process.

However, i've not found anything which explains what happens if I visit Canada first, then enter the US for up to 90 days? Does my time in Canada count towards the 90 days before crossing the US border?

Thanks
^ What Midatlantic said. But have you got an eTA for visiting Canada? Without a return ticket you might have a problem boarding.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

sq85 is an unknown quantity at this point

From what I understand the eTA has been suspended until 29 Sept 2016 - Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

I plan to travel early August to late August in Canada so i'm hoping this won't be an issue. Good to know the VWP gives me some extra time in Canada without shortening my US trip!
Old Jun 10th 2016, 3:21 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Upon admission, a date 90 days into the future is recorded. That is the admitted until date. If you depart to Canada during that time, the clock keeps running. When you seek to come back to the US, they generally readmit until that original date.

Let's say you were admitted today until Sept 8. You go to Canada on Aug 10 and come back to the US on Aug 24. If readmitted to the US on Aug 24, you would usually only be allowed to stay until the original date of Sept 8.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 7:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sq85

Thanks
The reason why you have found nothing is because there is nothing to find. Canada is a foreign country with its on border and rules and regulations.

Flying into Canada before entering the US has no bearing whatsoever on your ESTA/VWP or length of stay in the US as the length of stay allowed in the US does not start until you cross the US border.

Others have reiterated what you had stated in your OP re entering the US and then visiting Canada and how it does not affect your previous given length of stay in the US upon entry.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 2:39 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Two or three weeks wouldn't make a difference, if you were there for months beforehand then you might find a different situation because they'd wonder whether you still have non-immigrant intent.