Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

EIN number needed for E2 visa application?

EIN number needed for E2 visa application?

Old Jun 8th 2006, 8:24 am
Just Joined

ingetje is an unknown quantity at this point
Question EIN number needed for E2 visa application?

Hi,

We are in the process of applying for our E2 visa for a start up business.
We are from Belgium so we do not have to put up with the London Embassy, lucky us!
According to our lawyer we need to form the LLC and get an EIN number before we can start the E2 application. In order to get an EIN number we would need to apply for a PIN first?? I thought we could get an EIN without an PIN or SSN?
I talked with some other people who are doing the same (with another lawyer) and they do not need it before the application.
Does anyone has more experience in this matter?
Old Jun 10th 2006, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ivonne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: EIN number needed for E2 visa application?

Originally Posted by ingetje
Hi,

We are from Belgium so we do not have to put up with the London Embassy, lucky us!
According to our lawyer we need to form the LLC and get an EIN number before we can start the E2 application. In order to get an EIN number we would need to apply for a PIN first?? I thought we could get an EIN without an PIN or SSN?
I talked with some other people who are doing the same (with another lawyer) and they do not need it before the application.
You don't need an SSN to apply for EIN.

Don't know, what a PIN is, though.
Old Jun 10th 2006, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Cody37738 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: EIN number needed for E2 visa application?

Originally Posted by ingetje
Hi,

Well, we have a lot of things in common.
We are Belgian too and try to build up two businesses in the US.
www.prestigecabins.com and
www.getawaff.com
We have applied for E-2 in May 2005 but we have no answer yet.
We have invested about $260,000 so far. The key is here, be carefull about the "substantia amount of money". So far, $260,000 is not enough even if we own 100% of both businesses.
We have formed an LLC for the first business already but the EIN has been denied because we can't get a SSN, which is necessary. An ITIN is not enough.
We can't stay in the US for these businesses, making us to lose money.
We didn't start the second one yet because we couldn't get any business license due of a lack of SSN even if we already have a lease contract (DO NOT DO ANYTHING BEFORE GETTING VISA AS WE SIGN THE COMMERCIAL SPACE LEASE AND PAYING $1875 EVERY MONTH FOR NOTHING,PLEASE), making us to lose even more money.
Well, not everything is bad. We travel a lot, making us to lose even more money. We have visited lots of differents airports though, so not everything is bad.
We wish we can get an answer for our E-2 visa before 2010. At least an answer, like YES or NO. But for now there is no answer. Our "files is under review" since a looooooong time....
But don't discourage...visa is right there, between 2010 and 2020....
The US are not open for business as Europe is. I had a company in Europe in 35 minutes...
Good luck....

Last edited by Cody37738; Jun 10th 2006 at 6:35 pm.