EB2 NIW - Your experiences

Old Jul 29th 2016, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EB2 NIW - Your experiences

An update: the lawyer finally got the cover letter written (over a year since we started the process).

And it's 21 pages of sloppy work riddled with grammatical errors, confusion and worse: false and outrageous claims that there is no evidence for. If I was an immigration officer I'd stop reading after the first two paragraphs and shove it straight in the reject pile.

Now I know that I don't understand the process but surely submitting something written in 'chin-glish' is not a good idea.

Arrrgh.

Last edited by sherbert; Jul 29th 2016 at 3:49 am. Reason: correcting my own grammatical errors :p
Old Jul 29th 2016, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

The "false and outrageous claims" part may be cause for an ethics complaint against the lawyer.
Is the lawyer a member of AILA?
Old Jul 29th 2016, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

How do I find out about AILA?

Although I just need to get this thing filed though with or without their help (or hindrance) so not really going to waste time complaining about them.

Have others had non-native English speaking lawyers? I can't believe anyone would produce something so sloppy to be submitted to an official authority. But perhaps I am overthinking it?
Old Jul 29th 2016, 6:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
How do I find out about AILA?
Is Google broken today?

Ian
Old Jul 29th 2016, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think the correct response is 'lmgtfy [dot] com'. Get with the times.

I meant how do I find out if the lawyer is a member of AILA.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 7:15 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
I meant how do I find out if the lawyer is a member of AILA.
I understood what you meant. Have you checked the lawyer's web site? Alternately, you can search for a specific lawyer on the AILA web site and it'll give you information if they're a member.

Ian
Old Jul 29th 2016, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks. There. Was that so hard. All bark and no bite!
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

After 15 months of work, frustration and a lot of $$$ the NIW application was sent off!

We managed to get 10 expert recommendations and the cover letter was about 22 pages.

The package weighed in at 14lbs and over 500 pages (!!!!!!!!!!!!) of sometimes questionable and vague 'evidence' and now we sit and wait for approx. 8 months for a decision.

We decided not to file concurrently for the change of status because a) we did not want to risk a 'denied' on the i-485 in case the NIW petition fails and b) did not want to spend all the money on the biometrics/filing fees for the same reason (plus if the case takes more than a year to approve, the biometrics will need to be redone).

The downside is that I cannot apply for the EAD for several more months.

As you can see we have a lot of faith that this is actually going to work.

Anyone else made progress with NIW?

Last edited by sherbert; Sep 22nd 2016 at 9:29 pm. Reason: adding details of letters
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Hey sherbert,

Quick question. How quickly did you get an invitation to do biometrics after sending off your application?

I am asking on behalf of a friend. He sent off his application 2 weeks ago, and he is hoping to go back to Spain for a wedding in the first week of december (coming back january). He says that if he leaves without doing the biometrics then the USCIS consider the application abandoned?
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

We did not file concurrently so we are not waiting for an invite to do biometrics. We will wait until the NIW is approved (or not) before filing for the change of status. This way we do not risk a record of denial. I am not sure about the abandonment you mention but I know you are not supposed to leave the country between filing and hearing whether your adjustment has been approved: I personally wouldn't risk it.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewildering
Hey sherbert,

Quick question. How quickly did you get an invitation to do biometrics after sending off your application?

I am asking on behalf of a friend. He sent off his application 2 weeks ago, and he is hoping to go back to Spain for a wedding in the first week of december (coming back january). He says that if he leaves without doing the biometrics then the USCIS consider the application abandoned?
Our I-485 was filed last week. Lawyer says to expect bio-metrics apt in @ 4-6 weeks. Then possibly a month later get the AP and EAD. So he should get his AP in 8 -10 weeks YMMV. Don't think he'll get it in time.

Whilst we have requested AP, lawyer strongly suggested not to use it unless an emergency. We are essentially landlocked and have accepted that fact.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

If you have valid L or H-1 status you can travel while you have an adjustment of status case pending and it won't be deemed to be abandoned.

I have a pending AOS case and am going back to the UK at Christmas which won't be a problem as I have two years of L-2 status remaining.

NOTE: Generally, if you are in the United States and have applied for adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident, your application will be deemed abandoned if you leave the United States without first obtaining an Advance Parole Document. Your application for adjustment of status generally will not be deemed abandoned, even if you do not apply for an Advance Parole Document before traveling abroad while an adjustment application is pending, if you currently are in one of the following nonimmigrant classifications, and remain eligible for and would be admissible in one of the following categories upon applying for admission at a port-of-entry:
a. An H-1 temporary worker, or H-4 spouse or child of an H-1;
b. An L-1 intracompany transferee, or L-2 spouse or child of an L-1;
c. A K-3 spouse, or K-4 child of a U.S. citizen; or
d. A V-1 spouse, or V-2/V-3 child of a lawful permanent resident.

Last edited by Olly_; Nov 23rd 2016 at 7:55 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all. He has a H1 visa

From what he tells me. He is hoping to get the letter with the appointment date for the biometrics ASAP. Then he will try to walk-in at the biometrics place before he leaves. According to his information he cannot leave the country until the biometrics is completed or the USCIS considers the application abandoned. This does not make sense to me, but the USCIS rules can be odd.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orangepants
Our I-485 was filed last week. Lawyer says to expect bio-metrics apt in @ 4-6 weeks.
Did your lawyer mean receiving the appointment letter? Or doing the actual biometrics?
Old Nov 24th 2016, 2:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bewildering
According to his information he cannot leave the country until the biometrics is completed or the USCIS considers the application abandoned.
Nonsense! How on earth would USCIS know whether he travels before or after doing biometrics? Answer = they don't.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.