Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Easiest Way For Brit To Move To US? Possible?

Easiest Way For Brit To Move To US? Possible?

Old Feb 10th 2018, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

manofthewoods is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Easiest Way For Brit To Move To US? Possible?

Hey Guys,

Cut a long story short. Single male, work "online" so to speak, with a very good income, upwards of $400K USD PER YEAR. No physical business, would not need to be employed by anyone.

Would it be possible to move to the US at all? Is there any kind of VISA for someone like me who doesn't need employment or have any family over there?

Just looking for a new start in the US as prefer the way of life.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 10th 2018, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Easiest Way For Brit To Move To US? Possible?

Originally Posted by manofthewoods
Hey Guys,

Cut a long story short. Single male, work "online" so to speak, with a very good income, upwards of $400K USD PER YEAR. No physical business, would not need to be employed by anyone.

Would it be possible to move to the US at all? Is there any kind of VISA for someone like me who doesn't need employment or have any family over there?

Just looking for a new start in the US as prefer the way of life.

Thanks in advance.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski's_Ways%3A_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA

Sounds like an EB-5 would work for you given your income. A couple years of saving and you'll have a green card.
Old Feb 10th 2018, 7:19 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Marriage to a US citizen is always the "easiest" way, but the easiest way isn't the right way for everyone. Nor should it be considered just because it's easy. In your circumstances, an investment visa would probably be the best way.

In answer as to whether it's possible, yes it is. Whether you'd be better off in Europe, the USA or somewhere like the Cayman Islands (or any tax haven) is another matter. I'm sure you've looked into taxes and cost of living...
Old Feb 10th 2018, 7:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Would it be possible to move to the US at all?
Maybe.

Is there any kind of VISA for someone like me who doesn't need employment or have any family over there?
Investment visa, buying a green card outright, or if you are in a relationship with a USC, marriage to that USC.

What about your online business? Do you intend to keep that running, or retire altogether?

Rene
Old Feb 10th 2018, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you want to go there ? Seen so much of it on TV ? Why not live somewhere else and just visit annually as a tourist ?
Old Feb 10th 2018, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for replies.

I do not want to invest 1m USD or employ people in my business.

I am a 'one man band' and do not have or need employees.

Yes i will continue my business like it is, for good.

Other than investing 1m USD or marrying a US citizen, are there any other ways in?

cheers

PS - i want to move to the US for a better way of life, I prefer it much more over UK and Europe.
Old Feb 10th 2018, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for replies.

Other than investing 1m USD or marrying a US citizen, are there any other ways in?

cheers

PS - i want to move to the US for a better way of life, I prefer it much more over UK and Europe.
can you not get an eb5 with 500k anymore?
Old Feb 10th 2018, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
can you not get an eb5 with 500k anymore?
500k or 1m - Still alot of dosh! Was looking for a cheaper way or different route if possible
Old Feb 10th 2018, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Well if you're earning that kind of money for a one man band, you must be good at something. Good enough for an EB1A? Open question as there is little information to go on.
Old Feb 10th 2018, 8:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

So that leaves out buying a green card. You could still invest a smaller amount in a US business

So that leaves out opening a branch of your business in the USA. It might also leave out investing, but I'm not sure, because I don't know if you'd be able to work for both the US investment business AND your UK business at the same time (also don't know if you want to do that yourself).

I'm not sure if you'd be able to do that.

Doesn't sound like it in my layman's opinion, but check out this Wiki Guide for all possibilities:
Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

How much time have you spent in the USA as a non-tourist? You are aware of the cost of health insurance? Can you be more specific about what constitutes a "better" way of life? Might be "different", not sure about "better" than anywhere else in Europe.

Rene
Old Feb 10th 2018, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

The investment doesn't have to be in your successful business. There are any number of investment schemes out there for an EB-5.

You have the money, why not have a consultation with an attorney and explore the EB1-A possibility?
Old Feb 11th 2018, 12:47 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you're ruling out all the potential ways - US immigration isn't Burger King, you can't 'have it your way' - the options have been presented in full here IMO.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 1:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Buy a GC for $500k plus, you do not need to employ anyone.

Presumably you are not eligible for the DV.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 1:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Buy a GC for $500k plus, you do not need to employ anyone. ....
And while the $500k is "at risk", so long as you choose wisely there is a fair chance that you'll get a good bit, if not most of the money back ....eventually.

Bear in mind that there are also fees of about $60,000 associated with and EB-5 application.
Originally Posted by civilservant
Sounds like you're ruling out all the potential ways - US immigration isn't Burger King, you can't 'have it your way' - the options have been presented in full here IMO.
I agree. With his income he has several possibilities, without even including the possibility of marriage as presumably with $400k annual income he would be considered a "good catch" by at least some women.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 11th 2018 at 2:02 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 2:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Marriage could cost him a LOT more than an EB 5.

EB 5 looks cheap in comparison.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.