Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

EAD renewal or change to new category

EAD renewal or change to new category

Old Feb 24th 2018, 3:30 pm
I don't (often) bite

hmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default EAD renewal or change to new category

It's EAD renewal time for the good lady and we have been debating the value of doing so, with our concurrent I-140/485 EB-1C application in the pipe. That application was submitted in late May 2017 with no movement on the case yet.

Here's the quandry. The wife's EAD expires in mid-July this year and thus we have a few options:

1) Wait for I-140 approval and hope that I-485 approval comes before July, thus negating the need for EAD renewal.
2) Renew category (a)(18) EAD that she is on now for a fee of ~$500.
3) Apply for a category (c)(9) EAD off the back of her pending I-485.

With option 3, I am really confused over whether there is a fee for this or not. I know that simultaneous filing of an I-765 with the I-485 does not attract the fee but she didn't do that. The following paragraph from the I-765 instructions can be read in one of two ways:

NOTE: If you filed Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, as of July 30, 2007, and you paid the Form I-485 filing fee, no fee is required to also file a request for employment authorization on Form I-765. You may file the Form I-765 with your Form I-485, or you may submit the Form I-765 at a later date. If you file Form I-765 separately, you must also submit a copy of your Form I-797C, Notice of Action, receipt as evidence of the filing of Form I-485 as of July 30, 2007.

Does this mean that the I-485 had to be pending on July 30 2007, or does it mean that after July 30 2007, there is no fee when you have a pending I-485?

Help??
Old Feb 24th 2018, 4:10 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EAD renewal or change to new category

Originally Posted by hmvsdog
It's EAD renewal time for the good lady and we have been debating the value of doing so, with our concurrent I-140/485 EB-1C application in the pipe. That application was submitted in late May 2017 with no movement on the case yet.

Here's the quandry. The wife's EAD expires in mid-July this year and thus we have a few options:

1) Wait for I-140 approval and hope that I-485 approval comes before July, thus negating the need for EAD renewal.
2) Renew category (a)(18) EAD that she is on now for a fee of ~$500.

With option 3, I am really confused over whether there is a fee for this or not. I know that simultaneous filing of an I-765 with the I-485 does not attract the fee but she didn't do that. The following paragraph from the I-765 instructions can be read in one of two ways:

NOTE: If you filed Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, as of July 30, 2007, and you paid the Form I-485 filing fee, no fee is required to also file a request for employment authorization on Form I-765. You may file the Form I-765 with your Form I-485, or you may submit the Form I-765 at a later date. If you file Form I-765 separately, you must also submit a copy of your Form I-797C, Notice of Action, receipt as evidence of the filing of Form I-485 as of July 30, 2007.

Does this mean that the I-485 had to be pending on July 30 2007, or does it mean that after July 30 2007, there is no fee when you have a pending I-485?

Help??
No fee required. It says what it says. No reason for confusion.
Old Feb 24th 2018, 4:24 pm
I don't (often) bite

hmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
No fee required. It says what it says. No reason for confusion.
Thanks. I guess I'm reading it the wrong way around. To me (in certain circumstances), this reads as "you must have had a pending application on July 30, 2007"
Old Feb 24th 2018, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Do this, and do it ASAP because they are taking almost 6 months to process EAD's at the moment. There will be no fee.

If your I-485 is approved before the EAD application gets looked at they just deny it because it's not required, there's no harm done.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 7:22 pm
I don't (often) bite

Thanks for the expedient advice. Her I-765 was deposited with USPS on Saturday afternoon, after i asked this question. This gives us a little over 4.5 months for the (c)(9) EAD to come through, the Green Card to come through, or her having to take a (hopefully short) sabbatical.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Renewal of an EAD under a (c)(9) if filed correctly will result in an automatic 180 day extension.

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united...-ead-extension
Old Feb 26th 2018, 7:41 pm
I don't (often) bite

Originally Posted by tom169
Renewal of an EAD under a (c)(9) if filed correctly will result in an automatic 180 day extension.

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united...-ead-extension
That is true, but her original EAD is an (a)(18), not a (c)(9). So cannot be renewed into a (c)(9), it must be a new application under a different category.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

That is true, but her original EAD is an (a)(18), not a (c)(9). So cannot be renewed into a (c)(9), it must be a new application under a different category.
That sucks.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 3:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

How much longer does it take for a renewal vs a new EAD under a new application card. I don't believe it is much longer. I would definitely go with the new application which is at no cost since it was included with the original I-485 fee.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 12:50 am
I don't (often) bite

Originally Posted by Olly_
Do this, and do it ASAP because they are taking almost 6 months to process EAD's at the moment.
And this is the information that I also saw at the time. However, arriving fresh in the mail today was the C09 EAD for my wife, just a matter of 5 weeks after we sent off the application. In this instance USCIS' seemingly random processing has worked in our favour!