EAD - Any suggestions

Old Oct 7th 2009, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

ustraveler is just really niceustraveler is just really niceustraveler is just really niceustraveler is just really niceustraveler is just really niceustraveler is just really niceustraveler is just really niceustraveler is just really nice
Default EAD - Any suggestions

Hi guys,

I think I am better off just applying for my EAD and wait for marriage to become 24 months then apply for the AOS.

If I just get an conditional residency (2-year card), then I need to reapply for it to become 10 years and pay $465 + $80 biometrics fee to extend it.

What do you think?

Old Oct 7th 2009, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EAD - Any suggestions

Originally Posted by ustraveler
I think I am better off just applying for my EAD and wait for marriage to become 24 months then apply for the AOS.
Without forcing us to hunt down and read your entire history... with a family-based case, you can't generally get an EAD until you apply for AOS... unless you have another scheme.

Ian
Old Oct 7th 2009, 10:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

If I just get an conditional residency (2-year card), then I need to reapply for it to become 10 years and pay $465 + $80 biometrics fee to extend it.

What do you think?

I see by your previous posts that you are entering the USA with a K-3 visa. This certainly gives you the option of applying only for an EAD right now, and AOS at a later date.

If you want to do the scenario you propose, just make sure your 2-year wedding anniversary will happen before your K-3 visa expires.

Of course you realize you'll need to pay the fee for the EAD now, and then the fee for AOS later (fees may go up by that time, who knows?). Or, you can file AOS including EAD right now, and then I-751 for a fee later.

Either way I don't see much difference. You are still paying fees, just at different times for different reasons. I see that the fee for EAD is cheaper than the fee for I-751, so I guess your scenario saves you a bit of money, assuming the AOS fee doesn't go up in 2 years.

I suppose it depends on how much in a hurry you are to become a US PR (more secure than your K-3 visa), and how soon you are looking to become a USC (can't start the clock counting towards that until you become a PR).

But, nothing wrong with your scenario...it can be done.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Oct 7th 2009 at 10:47 pm. Reason: oops....meant "WILL" not "will not"
Old Oct 7th 2009, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

ustraveler is just really niceustraveler is just really niceustraveler is just really niceustraveler is just really niceustraveler is just really niceustraveler is just really niceustraveler is just really niceustraveler is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I see by your previous posts that you are entering the USA with a K-3 visa. This certainly gives you the option of applying only for an EAD right now, and AOS at a later date.

If you want to do the scenario you propose, just make sure your 2-year wedding anniversary will happen before your K-3 visa expires.

Of course you realize you'll need to pay the fee for the EAD now, and then the fee for AOS later (fees may go up by that time, who knows?). Or, you can file AOS including EAD right now, and then I-751 for a fee later.

Either way I don't see much difference. You are still paying fees, just at different times for different reasons. I see that the fee for EAD is cheaper than the fee for I-751, so I guess your scenario saves you a bit of money, assuming the AOS fee doesn't go up in 2 years.

I suppose it depends on how much in a hurry you are to become a US PR (more secure than your K-3 visa), and how soon you are looking to become a USC (can't start the clock counting towards that until you become a PR).

But, nothing wrong with your scenario...it can be done.

Rene
Well Rene i have been married for 17 months so another 7 months is not far away. But i do see where you are coming from.

I don't think i can become an American citizen
Old Oct 7th 2009, 11:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Well Rene i have been married for 17 months so another 7 months is not far away. But i do see where you are coming from.

I don't think i can become an American citizen
Oh, OK....if you don't mind spending $360 now and then $1,010 in 7 months, then your plan sounds OK.

Why don't you think you can become a USC? Where are you from originally?

Rene
Old Oct 7th 2009, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Oh, OK....if you don't mind spending $360 now and then $1,010 in 7 months, then your plan sounds OK.

Why don't you think you can become a USC? Where are you from originally?

Rene
I already hold two passports. I was born in the UK, but both of my parents are from Turkey. They made me a citizen (Turkish) when i was 5 years old.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 11:15 pm

I already hold two passports. I was born in the UK, but both of my parents are from Turkey. They made me a citizen (Turkish) when i was 5 years old.
I don't see why you can't become a USC, then. You won't have to give up either of your other citizenships.

Rene
Old Oct 7th 2009, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

I don't see why you can't become a USC, then. You won't have to give up either of your other citizenships.

Rene
I was told i can only hold dual citizenship. I don't know
Old Oct 7th 2009, 11:19 pm

No, that's not true. You can hold more than two. Who said you can only have two?

Rene
Old Oct 7th 2009, 11:20 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not aware of any restrictions on Turkish or UK citizens that would keep you from adding US. We have one tri-national at least who posts here regularly, and I remember one gal who famously have 5 nationalities!

I'm not sure you asked, but IMO it's a very bad idea to wait to file your AOS. Anything could (and has) happen; you could be stuck with solid roots in the US and no way to stay. Sob stories are posted daily.

I think you have an error in your calculation about what it costs when the 2 year green card expires. You file form I-751 at the end of the conditional period.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 11:32 pm

AOS including EAD = $1,010.

EAD w/o AOS = $340.

AOS w/o EAD = $1,010.

I-751 to remove conditions = $465 + $80 = $545.

So....

EAD now, AOS later, no I-751 = $1,350 (if fees don't change)

AOS now, I-751 later = $1,555 (if fees don't change)

For the $205 difference, I'd rather have my GC sooner rather than later, but that's just me.

Rene
Old Oct 8th 2009, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I know a who has Israeli, UK and US citizenship and was applying for Jamaican. Don't know if that went through though.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 11:59 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I hold 3 citizenships and 3 passports. Unless Turkey has some sort of restriction in place, it's quite doable.

Ian
Old Oct 8th 2009, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I know a who has Israeli, UK and US citizenship...
You know a who? Is that a bit like Horton?

Ian
Old Oct 8th 2009, 12:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever floats your boat. Talk about being cheap. Do you squeeze nickels?

Hi guys,

What do you think?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.