Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E2 visa spouse- adjustment of status?

E2 visa spouse- adjustment of status?

Old Jan 14th 2017, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

tracyandneil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default E2 visa spouse- adjustment of status?

Hi

We are in the process of exploring the E2 route. From the research we have undertaken so far, it makes sense for me to come across as the 'spouse' of my husband and not the co-owner of the E2 business. That way I can apply for a work permit- you never know I might end up with an employer who is willing to sponsor me?! (I know that's a long shot). But you never know!

My US born mum has already filed the petition for the F3 visa category. As we all know the wait is potentially a long one.....leading me to ask:

- can I go for an adjustment of status, with the F3 submission, once we are in the USA (we will be there under the E2 visa)?

I am aware that the E2 visa is a non-immigration visa but what I am not sure is if that applies to people who are waiting for the F3 visa. I understand that the E2 visa itself does not lead to a green card.

I am probably using all the wrong terms- so please bear with me.

Thanks for any advice....we are just consider all options, double/triple checking everything.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 6:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E2 visa spouse- adjustment of status?

You can look to adjust in country when your visa number is current.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 8:32 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracyandneil
... can I go for an adjustment of status, with the F3 submission, once we are in the USA...
Yes - but, as Boiler notes, it'll make no difference because you must still wait until your priority date is current. Unless you're the spouse of a US citizen, you are subject to the quota. No getting around that.

The only real advantage to an E-2 visa is that you can be in the US while the F3 category clock ticks down.

Ian
Old Jan 15th 2017, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

tracyandneil is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you ian and Boiler- I thought that might be case. Like you say at least we can wait it out in the USA if the E2 visa is approved and then hopefully a renewal in the future.

Thank you